Registered
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like Thai Air, lovely airline.

Taken from today's online Australian:

Thai aims to double Australian service
Steve Creedy
May 18, 2007

THAI Airways International wants to almost double its flights to Australia and ramp up its profile in the market.
After lagging competitors such as Singapore Airlines, the airline is investing in new products, including sleeper seats and video on demand.

Thai executive vice-president commercial Wallop Bhukkanasut said Thai still had the biggest market share on routes between Thailand and Australia, with three flights a day from Sydney, daily services from Melbourne and plans to increase to daily flights from Brisbane and Perth.

Mr Bhukkanasut said Thai had 27 flights a week out of Australia last year and "our ambition is that by the end of maybe next year we need to go up to maybe 46 or 47 flights a week".

Mr Bhukkanasut said the airline was performing well in all three cabins and that Thailand already had the bilateral rights to expand its services.

"Perth has always been three or four flights but I would like to get it up to daily soon, as well as Brisbane."

The Thai executive said a daily Brisbane service would initially operate in conjunction with Melbourne because the airline was short of aircraft, but the intention was to ultimately operate separate flights.

He conceded that decisions not to upgrade or refurbish equipment in recent years had affected perceptions of Thai. While the airline did not have a budget for television campaigns and the like, it was stepping up promotional activities such as its recent involvement in Fashion Week, and associating with premium brands.

"I think we got good mileage out of (Fashion Week) because we started to associate the minds of the market down there that Thai is associated with class," he said.

Asked about the impact of low-cost carriers such Jetstar International, he said the Australian carrier had not yet dented Thai's traffic figures.

"What can we do about it?" he said. "Number one, we have to ensure that we are trim, fit to survive. We have to take a look at all the unnecessary costs that we incur, especially with trip costs involving crew layovers, hotel expenditures and ground times and so on and so forth. The second side is to make sure that we are very sharp on our revenue management system, so a certain number of seats can be allocated into the low bucket - to at least fend off some of the low-cost carriers - but at the same time it does not eat into our profitability.

"And number three, I think we have to be very, very vocal about the difference between us and them.

"When you get on us, what do you get? You not only get a ticket, you get the total care package."

Mr Bhukkanasut said airlines tended not to bad-mouth one another.

"Maybe it's time we started something new, especially with the low-costs - hit them where it hurts," he said.

·
Put it in your mouth
7,111 Posts
Good to hear. Perth needs more flight to SEA desperately, they're always full.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I think Thai operates more than just daily flights to MEL. I think its about 12 times a week or something.

Also triangulating BNE and MEL is a bit far. Would add probably 3 or more hours to the flight.

·
Registered
230 Posts
^^ I thought they were going through Sydney, or at least that's what VH-OEJ told me???If Thai have changed to tri through MEL then I'm changing airline, i mean that's just stupid! I can understand banding SYD and BNE together as they are relatively close together, but going down to MEL is just down right stupid, it's just to far if your coming back from bangkok and your final destination is BNE???
rirwi4

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
It's equally bad for MEL as it is for BNE. BKK-MEL is 7316km, while BKK-BNE is 7252km. Only about 60km or so difference.

So basically you get on the plane and after two hours you are about the same distance away from your destination than when you started out. In the case of BNE-MEL-BKK you are technically flying away from your destination first.

Assuming it isn't a triangulated route and it goes BKK-BNE-MEL-BNE-BKK then it is still bad and they could also go BKK-MEL-BNE-MEL-BKK with little difference.

·
Registered
659 Posts
There would hardly be any pax on the BNE-MEL legs should it not be triangulated as TG would not have domestic pick up rights per government regulations.

Then again UA + JL do regularly fly SYD-MEL + SYD-BNE regularly and they dont seem to have any probs despite the above restriction.

PR + TG also flies domestic sectors, but their flights are triangulated rather than fly in and back (eg BKK-BNE-SYD-BKK and MNL-SYD-MEL-MNL).

·
Registered
659 Posts
^^ JL don't fly to MEL mate!

Can someone please confirm that Thai is going 2 x daily to MEL from around September?
^^ I didnt say specifically that JL flew to MEL... I should've worded it so it read "UA flies SYD-MEL + JL flies SYD-BNE".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts