SkyscraperCity banner

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

2481 - 2500 of 2510 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
FYI Thalassery railway station has much more land than Kannur station infact it is second largest after shornur in Palakkad division.
I doubt. Largest on what criteria? Kannur already has ready to use land available for pitline. I don't think Thalassery will have that. Can you put provide any source?

·
Aslesh Rajan K
9,993 Posts
It is easier to build pit line in Kannur because several tracks already exist. They just need to add pit line to one of the existing tracks. Where as they need to demolish buildings and add additional tracks at Thalassery.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I doubt. Largest on what criteria? Kannur already has ready to use land available for pitline. I don't think Thalassery will have that. Can you put provide any source?

No single passenger train is terminating at TLY.
And there is no such plan also.

So why they need pitline.??

Trains terminating at CAN cannot run to TLY for maintenance only.

TLY is the real obstacle for Kannur in all aspects.
It will not grow , and will not allow Kannur to grow.

Kannur South- Airport - Mysore rail route was the easiest and more profitable plan for Mysore Connectivity.
This was toppled by Thalassery lobby.

Now neither will going to be materialized.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No single passenger train is terminating at TLY.
And there is no such plan also.

So why they need pitline.??

Trains terminating at CAN cannot run to TLY for maintenance only.

TLY is the real obstacle for Kannur in all aspects.
It will not grow , and will not allow Kannur to grow.

Kannur South- Airport - Mysore rail route was the easiest and more profitable plan for Mysore Connectivity.
This was toppled by Thalassery lobby.

Now neither will going to be materialized.
After the British built the rail line till MAQ, trains running on MAQ-TLY stretch used to catch fire, and the British dived into find out the issue what it is, then they found that from Meloot muthappan madapura, till MAQ every station got a Railway Muthappan, thats how even the Brits used to solve, now the reason for this reply is, you said TLY is the real obstacle for CAN in all aspects, it will not grow and will not allow CAN to grow :) nobody has stopped CANs growth

Still let me just give you some math

say lets consider 1 train say Train X to LTT from TLY, average of 2AC,3AC,SL and General fares let it come to INR 1000 per person from TLY
now per day if
5 people boards this train, that means daily its INR 5000
for 30days if 5 people board daily its INR 1,50,000
for 1 year if 5 people board daily its INR 18,00,000

now about 17 trains dont stop in TLY, so for 1 year its 17 times 18,00,000, that means INR 3Cr revenue is lost for TLY if only 5 people board.

Now everyone knows daily average number from TLY is not 5, it will be surely in the higher ranges of 20-25 people daily, so without the stops of 17 trains at 20-25 people per day, TLY loses out on revenue INR 12Cr-15Cr.

For 17 non stopping trains people of TLY goes to CAN to board, if stops of 17 trains are allowed in TLY, then you will have to subtract this revenue of INR 12-15Cr from CAN revenue and CAN revenue will go down significantly, so I hope you understood my point of view so please dont do TLY bashing just for the sake of it,

Lastly when district HQ was shifted to CAN from TLY, there was an agreement that, whatever trains that will stop at new district HQ CAN will surely stop at TLY, thats how Navyug when launched in 90s has stops in TLY but whereas trains launched in 2000s dont stop because by then for PGT division, only thing that matter in their division is CLT and CAN, rest all doesnt matter

·
Aslesh Rajan K
9,993 Posts
Oru paridhi ille? All the trains that stop at Kannur and do not stop at Thalassery are very long distance weekly trains. Not daily like you calculated. Except Rajadhani which is 3 days per week. Do you expect Rajdhani to stop at Thalassery also? Why should every long distance weekly trains stop both at Thalassery and Kannur. People travel in those trains like once in a year. Is Kannur inaccessible from Thalassery? It is just 20 kms away. As a matter of fact many long distance weekly trains like Okha, Gandhidham, Veraval, Santragachi(Vivek), Bhavnagar, Navyug(Jammu) etc have stop at Thalassery. It is more than enough. Should trains come to your home and pick you from the front door like a school bus?

·
Registered
2 Posts
The reason for such a reply was due to a single point wherein it was mentioned TLY is the real obstacle for CAN in all aspects, I feel such a line was not needed.

I just said a math about the revenue loss but I didnt propose stoppages for the 17 non-stopping weekly trains and and for me 17 weekly trains means 17trains, because if 1 train is on Monday, another is there on Tuesday, so that doesnt make the number of trains less plus in previous post have considered a destination upto LTT, so the 17of them mostly go beyond LTT barring 1 MAO-ERS train.even if the weekly trains running comes to 20days/month schedule instead of the 30days / month schedule, still for a rough calculation previous post can be considered

IR is free to drive their trains in the way they like.IR will provide a train stop for 30mts at Station1, but when Station2 asks for a stop of 2mts, then all sorts of excuses will come out.Its all their wish.

I dont need for that matter any train or bus or flight to come and pick me up from my home, rather we need to look into much more important things like boundary wall of CAN airport getting destroyed due to rains 2 days back than picking me up from my home:) I just gave a rough math number pertaining to revenue to support TLY case because these days everything revolves around that, but my style of mentioning was not rude like there is a Taluk Office in CAN so why TLY needs a Taluk Office,neither did I mention that way for example what is the need for a new airport when 2 are there nearby which is just 89kms and 150kms away.

Irony is, These days for the railways only station that matters is DistrictHQ and to an extent LokSabha constituencies, other stations doesnt matter, so certain stations are added a lot of bling like art paintings,subway,new gen restaurants, flashy light masts etc, I am not against all those bling, it needs to be done, but once a person enters a train, its a crowded spot and rest being not said the better.Our platform length from 1947 has increased by 10meters and we are still talking of 21-24 coach trains when population is increasing, to catch the 6:30PM Garib Rath or SKr from CAN, a person navigates 20-30km through traffic and then finds a platform briming with people with no place to sit or stand with luggage(Please dont mention the Waiting Room)

The reason for the above point is according to me when Kerala is a kind of megalopolis, stops between nearby urban centers separated by 20-30kms do looks that much valid, inverse of what I say can also be taken

·
Registered
50 Posts
Some trains are conceived to connect main urban centres. Rajadhani not only skips Thalassery, but also Aluva and whole of Malappuram, which certainly has more potential than Thalassery. Similarly, even though Cannanore Jan Shadabti skips Aluva, it stops at Vadakkara, and Thalassery before terminating at Kannur. It is not viable for many long distance premium trains to stop at every urban centre because of 'potential revenue' -- as it will eat into its running time. It was these frequent complaints of 'they are ignoring us' that contributed to many trains have mind numbingly high number of stops at every other station in Kerala -- leading to long run times. It is not practical, as far as premium long distance trains are concerned, to stop at every 30kms. I actually try to board trains that skip stations like Thalassery because those trains reach Ernakulam faster.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Oru paridhi ille? All the trains that stop at Kannur and do not stop at Thalassery are very long distance weekly trains. Not daily like you calculated. Except Rajadhani which is 3 days per week. Do you expect Rajdhani to stop at Thalassery also? Why should every long distance weekly trains stop both at Thalassery and Kannur. People travel in those trains like once in a year. Is Kannur inaccessible from Thalassery? It is just 20 kms away. As a matter of fact many long distance weekly trains like Okha, Gandhidham, Veraval, Santragachi(Vivek), Bhavnagar, Navyug(Jammu) etc have stop at Thalassery. It is more than enough. Should trains come to your home and pick you from the front door like a school bus?

Distance from Vadakara to Calciut is around 46 km, but from Thalassery to Kannur is only 20km. But I believe Thalasery has more stop than Vadakara. MEans Vadakara people has to travel 46 km to calicut to catch train, but people from thalassery is only 20km to reach Kannur. Moreover distance from Iritty side to Thalassery and Kannur is same. If Thalassery need train stop for all the train, then what about people from Vadakara to Koyilandy and Kanhangad to Payyannur. So let all the trains stop all the station......

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
12 new Art Deco multiplexes
The project is being implemented with funding from Kerala Infrastructure Investment Fund Board (KIIFB).

Published: 12th November 2019 05:56 AM | Last Updated: 12th November 2019 05:56 AM | A+A A-
By Express News Service

KOCHI: The Kerala State Film Development Corporation (KSFDC) is setting up 12 new multiplexes in various parts of the state, including Kayamkulam, Kakkanad, Perambra, Payyannur and Thalassery, in a move to promote quality films and new directors.Public sector technical consultancy Kitco Ltd will design the new multiplexes while Shaji N Karun, chairman of KSFDC and renowned filmmaker, has given a very significant contribution to the design process by directing to incorporate new ideas and architectural styles such as ‘Art Deco’ concepts.

The project is being implemented with funding from Kerala Infrastructure Investment Fund Board (KIIFB).Once the project is completed, KSFDC will have more than 40 screens in various theatre complexes in the state. Designs of five multiplexes have been completed and approved, and construction is about to start, said a release by Kitco.

KSFDC stays pretty upbeat on proposed multiplexes

The multiplexes at Kayamkulam and Kakkanad will have three screens each while the ones in Alagappanagar (Thrissur) and Perambra, Payyannur, Thalassery, Tanur, Ottapalam, and Chengannur will have two screens each. New multiplexes are also proposed at Neyyattinkara, Payam and Vaikom.Atmos sound systems and 4 K projections are proposed in one screen each at Kakkanad and Kayamkulam multiplexes. All other screens will have 2K projection and 7.1 surround sound. All 2K projection facilities will be upgradable to 4K, to combat obsolescence in the near future.

Each screen will have a seating capacity of 150-250 people, depending on the location and infrastructure factors.Suresh Manimala, consultant for the project, said the new designs are being evolved after studying existing multiplexes in various parts of the country and will incorporate the best design features and facilities of contemporary multiplexes. Discussions were held with leading film technicians such as directors, cameramen, sound recordists and stakeholders such as producers, exhibitors, distributors etc to finalise the designs and other specifications.

With the establishment of these multiplexes, KSFDC will be able to strengthen its presence as an exhibitor apart from providing the full gamut of production services for the film industry -- from pre-production to the exhibition -- and all other relevant support systems. At present, KSFDC has 17 screens in various locations, which will increase to more than 40 screens on completion of the project.

shaji assisting in design

Award-winning director and cinematographer Shaji N Karun assisting in design process

Kerala State Film Development Corporation to have 40 screens to promote quality films

https://www.newindianexpress.com/states/kerala/2019/nov/12/and-12-new-art-deco-multiplexes-as-well-2060363.html

2481 - 2500 of 2510 Posts