SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Royal Docks
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hidden down in the Royal Docks, between the large Tate and Lyle factory and the Tradewinds development, is Thames Road Industrial Estate.

The site's owners, Ballymore, have recently revealed a new plan for the site, including 3x14 storey towers.

(View from the Thames looking northeast along the river frontage - ignore the fact that only one of the three towers is present, and that the shadows of the people go against the sun... I jokingly mentioned these to the artist at the exhibition, but did applaud him for being brave enough to include the Tate and Lyle factory in the background!)

More details can be found in the pdf of their recent public exhibition boards, recently put up online by a kind local resident.

Basically, the proposal is:
  • 1600 homes, aranged in 7-9 storey blocks on a geometric/grid pattern, and in three signature towers set back from the river frontage, and opening out onto a 'civic square'.
  • A bit of an industrial buffer between the residential elements and the Tate and Lyle factory, including an energy centre to help power the site.
  • A new section of riverside walkway and a public beach.

Formal planning permission is pencilled in submission in spring 2010, so earliest construction would probably be some time in late 2010/early 2011.

Although this site suffers from the massive Tate and Lyle factory next door, in the present climate it doesn't seem to be a bad use of this particular site. If you've ever been to the area, you'll probably agree it needs a bit of a lift. Thoughts?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Looks pretty good, glad to see them mention the importance of integrating it into the wider Silvertown area. There's always a danger with these developments in run down areas that they end up as isolated fortresses.

·
Lincoln - London - Greece
605 Posts
A natural reed barrier to stop the sunbathers getting too carried away and actually swimming.

The beach is fine, thats just like a park, but actually being able to go from the beach into the river just blows my mind - hence the reeds probably - and the railway track :lol:.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
love the render and the towers of the factory lurking in the background....good view of this site from the DLR. Yet another Thameside filming location for an Eastenders showdown or a Waking the Dead cold case bites the dust......

·
Registered
291 Posts
I used to live in West Silvertown and it does feel like living in rural isolation sometimes so good to see another plot filled. The factory never botherd me it was the Purina one on the other side. If the wind changed direction you would get this smell of cat biscuits.

·
Registered
11,831 Posts
This will nestle right next to Barretts Barrier Park East next year that will probably start construction on the next year.

The info boards give a good overview of all the plots Ballymore have bought up in the area, the biggest being Minocco Wharf.

Squire & Partners are the architects.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts