SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just to begin... this is NOT A THREAD ABOUT COMMIEBLOCKS...
Please feel free to contribute but commieblocks (a style of large horizontal or government housing projects, often in Europe or Asia) are not what this thread is dedicated to... Enjoy!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Background:
I've been wanting to create this thread for awhile... I grew up in Johannesburg, South Africa, where there are all sorts of creepy-looking, dingy-looking, old drab apartment blocks erected in the 1960's and 1970's... well there were many before that but the taller, more noticeable ones I believe are from the later decades I mentioned above. Anyways, I now live in Toronto, and there are strikingly similar styles of apartment buildings, everywhere. As you walk through certain downtown districts, or as is more often the case, drive on highways through the suburbs, there are large, gloomy old apartment buildings that make you wonder how many people have lived there, who has lived there, and what the building's story is. In Johannesburg, the buildings are remarkable, each with their own history, even as young as they are... in less than a decade, they went from being good accomodations for well-off city workers, to slum conditions. The residents of today in these buildings live an utterly different life than those who slept in the same bedrooms and ate in the same dining rooms just years before.

Either way, the point of this thread is to show how similar they can be all around the world, and more than anything, prove that although most people think they are hideous and subtract from cities, I think they have an architecture that is striking, mysterious and intimidating, all of their own.

Examples:

My computer is being really slow at the moment, apparently, so I will just post just a few examples for the time being... hopefully others contribute.

Johannesburg:

Toronto:

-thryve

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bumperoo... I've added a few pictures...

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts