Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it all starts today, the architecture threads have been fun, but now is the time we should probably start a dedicated thread for the Olympic Games sports discussion and results, makes sense to have it in the 2012 sub-forum.

Huge buzz of excitement as I pack my bag in preparation for travelling to Glasgow for tomorrow's mens football clash between Spain and Japan.

The first event of the Olympics is to kick off later, two days before the official opening ceremony.

The Team GB women's football side will get 18 days of sport under way at 16:00 BST (15:00 GMT) against New Zealand at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium.

Designated Games Lanes, covering about 30 miles of roads and off limits to the public, have begun operating in London.

And government lawyers will go to court to try to stop a public sector workers' strike on the eve of the Games.

Culture Secretary Jeremy Hunt will join Welsh Secretary Cheryl Gillan in Cardiff for the first event of the 2012 Games.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18978628

:banana: Let the games begin! :banana:​

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone,

if you are an Olympic fanatic and you like to discuss about them around the net, I would like to invite you on Totallympics, the first international forum focused on all Olympic Sports.

We gather sport fans from all around the world, everyone supporting their favourite athletes and teams in all sports and posting their comments and feelings about all events. We cover every single sport's results for Olympic Games and just after London 2012 will be finished, we will focus on Sochi 2014 and Rio 2016, following all sport events in between, also smallest ones.

If you are interested to join us, you will find the forum on www.totallympics.com.

If you are interested, you can register and start posting about all sports, following Olympic Games with us :)

See you on Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!
Thanks!

Matteo

·
Registered Abuser
17,047 Posts
Liverpool Legend Craig Bellamy has scored for Team GB.

As it stands...

GBR 1-0 Senegal

The fans were booing the Welshman earlier on in the match.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Liverpool Legend Craig Bellamy has scored for Team GB.

As it stands...

GBR 1-0 Senegal

The fans were booing the Welshman earlier on in the match.
I'd think its because he's Craig Bellamy and the game was at OT rather than the fact he's Welsh :lol:

1-1 in the end. Can't get up for this football in the Olympics. Maybe for the women because it is full age teams and it seems to actually mean something for them but watching a young team with a couple of 'stars' thrown together is a bit weird.

Decent crowd though, has to be said.

·
Registered Abuser
17,047 Posts
I've never really been into Olympic Football either, but I'm looking forward to my Wembley match for 3 reasons...

Visiting the site of the 1948 Olympics at the 2012 Olympics will be quite cool... the 1948 cauldron is on display in the stadium.

As well as Skyscrapers I am into stadiums and arenas. Wembley is the mother of all Stadiums.

Liverpool players on display. Suarez, Bellamy, Coates & likely signing Joe Allen.

·
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just back from Hampden.

Spain lost, totally outclassed by a fast counter attacking Japanese team, 1-0, nobody would have complained had it been 4-0 Japan. 10 man Spain's defence were poor, they kept misplaceing passes and Japan pounced regularly and had lots of one-on-ones with the 'keeper (Man U's De Gea).

Morrocco and Honduras played out an entertaining 2-2 draw which had everything, red card, penalty, goals and was worth the entry fee alone!

The free bus from Buchanan Bus Station was an unexpected surprise, off one bus and straight onto the Olympic express there and back was great, well done SPT/First/London 2012?

Attendance: 37,000.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Thank god Federer got through, looked touch and go at times. Was not at his best.

I have never seen him play. He is the only top 4 player in the world that I will be able to see on centre court on Wednesday as Murray and Djokovic are on the other side of the draw. So need Federer to get through otherwise I am going to end up watching someone like Ferrer. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Good Luck to Cavendish today!! C'mon Britain!
Nerves definitely got the better of him. It's my big worry - the home atmosphere could either inspire or instill fear in athletes in equal measure.

Do any other UK members like me actually not care if we don't romp home with lots of gold medals? I feel it's almost become secondary to hosting a cracking games given the success we already had in Beijing.

·
Unregistered User
476 Posts
Nerves definitely got the better of him. It's my big worry - the home atmosphere could either inspire or instill fear in athletes in equal measure.

Do any other UK members like me actually not care if we don't romp home with lots of gold medals? I feel it's almost become secondary to hosting a cracking games given the success we already had in Beijing.
It wasn't just Cav. The team didn't perform. It seems like they let the break away group gain too much time without really knowing who was in it. As it turns out there were big players there. GB acted too late.

It's perhaps because of the communication systems it happened. If you watched the tour, there was info all the time about who was in what group and how far away they were. The commentators didn't even have a clue today. Added to that, there is no team radio in the Olympics, meaning splits, gaps and positions are a lot harder to relay.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I am not a Cycling guru on tactics and that but it makes no sense to me why they let such a huge breakaway do exactly that....breakaway.

I think it's as simple as that. Either they were too knackered to break off with them or they thought the best tactics were to stay put and real them in later which were not good tactics at all.

Shame.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Do any other UK members like me actually not care if we don't romp home with lots of gold medals?
I am very patriotic and love my sport so I want us to win as many golds as possible.

If we can beat the Aussies and Germans again that would be another awesome achievement.

If we beat at least one of the above then we will have done well.

·
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Gutted Cav never won a medal in the bike race, he got unlucky the way the race panned out; but we should be strong with Wiggins in the time trial event, it's simply man against the clock - the fastest will win and he was unbeatable at Tour de France time trials this year.

The British women football team are into the quarters, that's a good acheivement.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts

Half and half. I do think we've given ourselves a very hard task to equal what we did in terms of medals in Beijing. Finishing 4th again is pretty unlikely - I think the Germans will pip us. (I'd love to be proved wrong though!)
Cavendish and co. were outmanoeuvred imo..

·
Registered
220 Posts
Gutted Cav never won a medal in the bike race, he got unlucky the way the race panned out; but we should be strong with Wiggins in the time trial event, it's simply man against the clock - the fastest will win and he was unbeatable at Tour de France time trials this year.
True, but some of the best time-triallers in the world pulled out of the Tour. GB were extremely unlucky yesterday - no other countries seemed willing to help out, even with such a large breakaway. However, currently watching Pooley and Armistead ride a blinder at the moment! Could do very well indeed...

1 - 20 of 144 Posts