Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Banned
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the World Cup has started.

Russia (ranked 70) beat Saudi Arabia (ranked 67) 5-0 last night.

The fact the matches are sometimes at 1am sorta takes the fun out of it.

Australia (ranked 36th) play France (ranked 7th) Saturday at 8pm.

We got a tough group, no easy matches, but then it's the World Cup, no way of lifting that without beating the best.

G

·
Watched the first half of the Russia game. Funny seeing Putin shrug and then shake the Saudi leaders hand after the first goal just 12 minutes in. Plus Robbie Williams and his finger. Seemed to be a great atmosphere there.

·
Banned
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well 5-0 is quite the drubbing, I mean it's not Brazil level but it's pretty bad:p

I think the Saudis just gave up at the end.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
The Asian AFC teams had a terrible WC in 2014. Not much will change this time around. Australia I suppose are the best of a bad bunch and might well surprise a few people.

Spain were my my tip but sacking their coach and his entire backroom staff on the eve of the tournament might have K-Boshed that.... :lol:

·
Banned
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Uruguay the stronger of Egypt (1-0 last minute goal), but they'll need to lift their game if they want to make it far in the competition.

Can't believe I have to buy Optus to watch matches, oh well.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Portugal and Spain gives us one of the greatest World Cup games in history and Cristiano Ronaldo gives up one of the greatest individual World Cup performances since the heady days of Diego Maradona circa 1986.....

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Its been an absolute bloodbath for Optus for their WC coverage on various social media this weekend......:bash:

I've been watching on ITV/BBC from the UK using a paid for VPN - Full HD and picture quality absolutely flawless.

·
Banned
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I love waiting 4 years and then paying those thieving fookers at Optus so I can stare at a black screen!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I love waiting 4 years and then paying those thieving fookers at Optus so I can stare at a black screen!
The slightly illegal BBC and ITV streams mirrored from the tablet to the big TV screen were very good again last night, although during the Brazil game it did get a little jumpy for the first 15 minutes.

G

·
Good use of the VAR in the SWE vs KOR but by golly gosh, highlights just how poor the use of it was in the France v AUS game.

We have a history of getting screwed by these clowns.

G

·
That would be fine if FIFA were not a legalised mafia. Sorry, I'm obviously a bit cynical of it all. If the reversed happen in the Australian vs France game and AU was on the attack, I bet it would not have even been reviewed in the first place. Simple bias towards "big" teams. We get this shit all the time.

The captain should be able to demand a review if so be it (like in cricket) and have a certain amount of times he can do it. And then a 3rd party Ref should review it.

If they are going to use VAR, tradition aside, do it properly with the right processes in place, or not do it all. It's still open to the potential of massive corruption abuses.

Or as you say, go pure purist and trust FIFA does the right thing consistently, human errors and all. Problem, is, the "human errors: are premeditated.

G

·
Besides the poor defense at the 7th minute, a valiant game by the Socceroo's who basically controlled it almost completely, after.

Do not understand why Cahill was not brought on with 15 minutes to go. Yes, he is in his twilight but with him in the box, the Arzani crosses had a much better chance of conversion. Great game!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
So there's a news story going around about Lucy Zelic from SBS getting trolled and abused on social media because she pronounces the names of players with a distinct European accent like Les Murray used to....

Have some of these people got no farken lives?

She's one of the best sports anchors on TV with an excellent football knowledge. And she's a stunningly beautiful lady to boot!! These sad arse twats should leave her alone!!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts