Which one of these cities will be AFRICA'S PREMIER 21ST CENTURY CAPITAL

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
boris89
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There seem to be a growing trend. Most of our fabulous african capitals seem to be growing faster than they expected. Sanitation, Transportation, Roadways and Environmental issues seem to hinder the appropriate growth of our cities....
ABIDJAN, LAGOS, DAKAR, ARE ALL MOVING.......
Which one of these cities will be AFRICA'S PREMIER 21ST CENTURY CAPITAL.....(Based on potential, location, ect....)
Yamoussoukro, Abuja, Lompoul ......
I know this is way too premature.....but just give your honest opinion...........

·
Registered
175 Posts
Well, Abuja is certainly well established as the Nigerian capital since 1991 and has a big head start. Yamoussoukro has been the official capital of Cote D'Ivoire since 1983 but most still maintain their embassies in Abidjan. And Lompoul is not yet the official capital of Senegal.

Seriously, there is no stage for discussion on this. Abuja is too far ahead of the others and is set to become one of the premier 21st century capital cities of Africa.

·
Registered
17,043 Posts
Lompoul is just all talk right now. I hear these types of plans every so often from African countries and most never come into fruition. Whatever happened to the 60 storey Qadathi taower in Dakar?

Yamossoukro?! I wont even begin to start there.

I think Nairobi and Luanda have very good futures. Luanda by 2020 will probably be the most modern looking SS-African capital outiside SA......but Nairobi had a big head start and Kenya's economy is growing again. I think Abuja will be second. Abidjan was on par with Nairobi some years ago and if the problem resolves in IC, then that will be in the race too. More remote possibilities......what happens if there is a change of government in Eq Guinea- it could be like a tropical Dubai were in not for corruption. An independent South Sudan (referendum for independence in a few years) will also have huge oil money beside it- they are in the preliminary stages of building a brand new capital in anticipation of statehood. And if DRC sorts its stuff out- Kinshasa could be up there.

In short- main contenders- Abuja, Luanda, Nairobi
Possible contenders- Abidjan, South Sudan capital, Kinshasa.

·
boris89
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it's funny,you compared abuja to those cities.
It was not comparing...Just making a "cultural discussion".......Only honest opinions need reply....

·
Mister One Million
5,485 Posts
From the choices in the poll, clearly Abuja will be dominant. However, Nairobi, Abidjain, Dakar, and Luanda will serve as cultural and commercial centers. In terms of international conventions, Nairobi is the leader at the moment.

As I said in another thread, hopfully Lompoul will never become Senegal's capital. They should expand Dakar eastward and possibly create a New Dakar.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I don't see any of those cities becoming the tru 21st century capitals of Africa anytime soon. I don't see how they could be considered more important as African capitals than places like Johannesburg, Pretoria, and Nairobi.

·
Mister One Million
5,485 Posts
I don't see any of those cities becoming the tru 21st century capitals of Africa anytime soon. I don't see how they could be considered more important as African capitals than places like Johannesburg, Pretoria, and Nairobi.
Pretoria and JHB are geographically out-of-the-way. Nairobi and others will be very important but the sheer size of the financial assets controlled by Abuja and Lagos are, and will continue to be, unmatched.

·
Registered
17,043 Posts
But then you have to consider stability- Kenya is much more stable than Nigeria, and perhaps even previously war-torn Angola is currently more stable.

I agree on Dakar, extend it rather than try and build a new city. The record of new-build cities around the world is certainly dubious. It would also be more cost-effective to extand Dakar rather than build a new capital.

·
boris89
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Your additions are indeed notable...Thats is why the discussion was engaged....
How absent minded of me to forget those great cities....There is a certain bias involved....I am a fervent admirer of the west (West africa that is)... And I also have to mention the Stratigic position (geographical position, hub port and airport, oh and of course the black gold) of the cities in the western coast are essential....

I shall add a new poll to include the omitted cities......

Initially I made the poll in relation with the lack of proper urbanism in most african cities....Most of our great cities are growing very fast i.e:Nairobi is one of them, Dakar as well...Abidjan is another one... And on that point....Which one of YA'KRO, ABUJA, Lompoul...HAS THE HYPOTETICAL POTENTIAL OF BEING ONE OF AFRICA'S GREAT......

·
Registered
175 Posts
Your additions are indeed notable...Thats is why the discussion was engaged....
How absent minded of me to forget those great cities....There is a certain bias involved....I am a fervent admirer of the west (West africa that is)... And I also have to mention the Stratigic position (geographical position, hub port and airport, oh and of course the black gold) of the cities in the western coast are essential....

I shall add a new poll to include the omitted cities......

Initially I made the poll in relation with the lack of proper urbanism in most african cities....Most of our great cities are growing very fast i.e:Nairobi is one of them, Dakar as well...Abidjan is another one... And on that point....Which one of YA'KRO, ABUJA, Lompoul...HAS THE HYPOTETICAL POTENTIAL OF BEING ONE OF AFRICA'S GREAT......
Actually, I implied from your question that you are not asking to compare ALL, or even many, African capitals but only those that recently became (or possibly will become) new capitals from a previous commercial longtime capital city.

·
Registered
9,543 Posts
I don't know what Lompoul is. If it's a nonexistant city, how is it going to be developed? Dakar is strangled by lack of space. Is Lompoul an ugly name for a capital city?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
you have to visit abuja to see what's happening there.although capital is not easy to relocate,...but abuja is success.

·
Registered
40,884 Posts
But then you have to consider stability- Kenya is much more stable than Nigeria, and perhaps even previously war-torn Angola is currently more stable.

I agree on Dakar, extend it rather than try and build a new city. The record of new-build cities around the world is certainly dubious. It would also be more cost-effective to extand Dakar rather than build a new capital.
popa1980, you always throw shit at Nigeria´s house, it really pisses me off! Stop it now!

It just takes a few rich Nigerian in the country and in the diaspora to buy off entire countries in Africa which only shows that Africa is dead without Nigeria , so stop insulting us or I will forget myself on this forum!:devil:

·
Registered
40,884 Posts
Moreover, Abuja cannot be compared to Yamoussokro, that´s hilarious! You cannot compare dried up cherries to a big, juicy and fresh water melon (=Abuja)! All those silly comparisons

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
popa1980, you always throw shit at Nigeria´s house, it really pisses me off! Stop it now!

It just takes a few rich Nigerian in the country and in the diaspora to buy off entire countries in Africa which only shows that Africa is dead without Nigeria , so stop insulting us or I will forget myself on this forum!:devil:
very easy for them!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.