SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
It was aliens
7,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Post yours...pics are welcome as well!

Mine! In order-

NY City- HUGE skyline sprawling a combined 4 miles. Could have 8 1000 footers in 10-15 years, God I can't wait for the westside redevelopment and WTC! Not to mention, BOA, NYT, Con EDISON, Gehry, Calatrava, will all have many tower over 800 feet!

Chicago- Insanely massive skyline along lake michigan, 2 new 1000 footers down the road!

Philadelphia- huge, powerful, tall, will improve greatly in time.

Seattle- Wow, can we say dense tall and huge, the sity is amazing looking, and so underrated.

San Francisco- Charming, alomost as dense as manhattan, very good porportions.

Los Angeles- Bold, Library Tower makes skyline very powerful.

Minneapolis- This is one underrated skyline! Nearly as large as Philly and almost as tall! Minneapolis is great.

Boston- Dense, Charming New England town, got quite a bit of tall buildings that look real cool.

Miami- Miami is so modern, it's like the Dubai of the US, lots of cool plans ahead.

Atlanta- Looks nice, not very dense but it still makes the bottom of my list.

Ones that didn't quite make it but have a respectable skyline-

Portland OR
San Diego
Charlotte
Indianapolis
Pittsburgh
Dallas
Houston
Austin
Baltimore

Share your thoughts!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
1. Chicago, I like its colors and contrasts and height better than any skyline in the world probably, the effect the lake front has on it is really great as well.

2. New York City - The varied ages of the buildings, mass and overall density. Of course the water is a nice backdrop on this one as well.

Los Angeles - Its a pretty good size and is very new compared to many skylines, it also has a good amount of old which unfortunately is not really visible from most views. I love the height and the teired look.

4. Seattle - Massive gourgeous, tall, moderately dense.

5. Houston - Tall, bold, a little cold, it probably could be 3rd or 4th but to me Seattle, LA, and Houston are tied in the US for '3rd' skyline

6. Atlanta - Sprawling unique skyline that almost seems to showcase each individual building from some angles, it has some good height and its always on the move.

(some)

7. Philadelphia - I dont know what does it for this one, it just seems to fit together real nicely as one.

8. Dallas - Probably shouldnt be so far down on the list, and the reson it is for me is because some of Dallas' buildings on an individual scale I find not very attractive, but the whole skyline fits together very nicely.

9. Minneapolis - Good looking tall and dense. Great mixture of styles.

10. Pittsburgh - This one is one of my favorites because of the geographic location of where the downtown was built, I love the density, the height and the stark feeling of commerce I get from this one.

Honorable Mentions To -

San Francisco, Boston, Cincinnati, Miami, New Orleans, Kansas City, Denver, and Charlotte (maybe a few more) which are all great skylines but just not on the top of my personal favorites.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
1. New York City:

Like no other on earth...

2. Chicago:

Very unique.

3. Houston

Gotta love the modernism.

4. Miami

Beautiful contrast.

5. Seattle

Need I say anything?

6. Philadelphia

Love Liberty Place

7. Los Angeles

Beautiful!

8. San Francisco

Ellegant

9. Dallas

Supurb

10. Minneapolis

Last but not least.

The Rest:

Atlanta
Memphis
San Antonio
New Orleans
Jacksonville
San Diego
Austin
Buffalo
Pittsburg
Charlotte

and so on

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
chicago
houston
philadelphia
los angeles
miami
san francisco
atlanta
boston
seattle
dallas

others that should of made it
minneapolis -beauty
new york---too many buildings,great skyline but too many buildings
las vegas-shiny
charlotte-growing
and some others

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Well, my personal top two skylines never change, but the rest of them do, depending on what mood I'm in. Keep in mind, these are my favorite skylines, not necessarily my favorite cities.

Here's mine:

New York
Chicago
Philly
LA

the rest aren't really in any order

Seattle
Houston
Dallas
San Fran
Minneapolis (not just because I live here, I really do think it's a top 10 skyline)
Pittsburgh

I used to have Atlanta on my top 10, but after I saw a few pictures of it at certain angles, it really turned me off. Specifically, the angles where it looks like the towers are miles apart. It just looks weird.

·
Registered
24,590 Posts
New York and Chicago by far....

·
Registered
24,590 Posts
^
Yeah your right, but I'm bored so I guess I got a little carried away....
They are nice pics though!

·
Architect
2,005 Posts
1.) New York City

2.) Chicago

3.) Atlanta

4.) Seattle

5.) Houston

6.) Los Angeles

7.) Dallas

8.) Philadelphia

9.) San Francisco

10.) Minneapolis

Honorable Mention: Miami, San Diego, Tampa, Boston, Richmond, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Denver

·
It was aliens
7,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice pics!

I forgot to mention Denver in mine, that would rank with SF in terms of size. When I first saw it I was very impressed.

I agree Chigeorge, New York is in a leage of it's own, Chicago too, every other city in North America is a distant second. Mainly because of their height. This is amazing, I found this a while back at urban planet.

How many 800 footers (too roof) each american city will have by 2015 if the likely projects go through.

New York: 26 (has 12 or 13 now!!!)
Chicago- 14
Philly- 4
Miami-2
Vegas-1

Cities with no buildings 800 or over U/c are not on there even if they have 800+ footers.

·
It was aliens
7,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When you show a pic of NY you must show the whole skyline LOL. Midtown alone is large enough to swallow up chicago in width (they are about the same legnth) Downtown manhattan is 2 Los Angeleses combined, and brooklyn and JC could swallow Denver whole! Past central park the island goes on for 5 more miles, ALL of 20-30 story apartment towers, you can't get NY's skyline in one shot, it's by far the most massive in the world, it dwarfs Chicago, It dwarfs Hong Kong, And Chi and HK dwarf every other city.

Here are some NY pics!

Get ready, this one will knock you off your feet.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
1. New York City - Great form mixture of age and architecture
2. Chicago - My favorite skyline of all time - The best mix of architecture I have ever seen.
3. Atlanta - Very unique skyline, great mix of newer architecture. Not only Downtown, but Midtown and Buckhead
4. Dallas - Same as above, great mix of newer architecture
5. LA - Beautiful form, the city that makes boxes look good.
6. Boston - Great mix of architecture, and interestingly placed buildings. Boston has a nice setting aswell.
7. Seattle - Great highrises and denseness
8. Detroit - Beautiful older highrises and architecture
9. Houston - Some bland skyscrapers and bad lighting at dark, but the skyline somewhat makes up for it.
10. Miami - Lots of construction and beautiful setting

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
1. NYC and Chicago (tie) - NYC has every high-rise architectural style and is incredibly massive. Chicago's is more organized and has a better relation with the water.
3. Seattle - BoA is beautiful and the skyscrapers are very nice.
4. Philadelphia - One Liberty and Two Liberty are beautiful, as is the rest of the skyline.
5. San Francisco - Nice mix of architecture.
6. Los Angeles - Also a nice mix of architecture, if Century City and Downtown were mixed, it would be in my top five.
7. Minneapolis - Some of the nicest postmodern towers over 700 feet, IDS is beautiful and the skyline is very sleek.
8. Boston - wasn't to high up until I saw this pic (click on the smaller pic, this file is huge, almost 8000 pix. wide):

9. Pittsburgh - Great skyline with nice settings.
10. Atlanta - Some nice buildings, but too postmodern and spread out.

1 - 20 of 182 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.