SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brain has serious difficulties accepting the height "facts" of the following Malmö highrises:

Hilton, Malmö, 69 meters, 22 floors.
Is this building just 4 meters higher than Kockumshuset (65 meters, 17 floors) ???
Even stranger, is it just 6 meters higher than Slagthuset (63 meters, 13 floors). In my opinion either the two lower are measures too high or Hilton is higher than 69 meters???

This is not just due to the fact that the two lower towers have fewer floors, Hilton just feels so much higher.

Another question, does anyone know the heights of Posthuset, Savoy and what I believe to be the old Stadshus in Malmö. All three of them have "towers" rising up from the main building.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I think it is because the 2 shorter buildings are offices, with bigger measures on every floor between floor and roof.

·
forumer #29
4,567 Posts
^Sounds like a very truthy answer. :)
Residentials tend to have much lower floor-to-floor heights than offices. It has been so for some time too. This is how, up here in Stlhm, Kista Torn will be significantly lower than the Science Tower even thought it's roughly the same number of floors.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Surely, that's true.
However, I still don't get the same height impression!
Probably it's just an illusion my brain just can't handle.
Does anyone know where the height facts come from?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Surely, that's true.
However, I still don't get the same height impression!
Probably it's just an illusion my brain just can't handle.
Does anyone know where the height facts come from?
That's an illusion I think. If you look around in this site tou will find Counterpoint Malmö, a 70 meter tall building that'g gonna be built soon. But it looks much much taller, 1 floor looks like two. The same with Hilton, it has got more floors so it automatically looks taller. That's how I think it is!^^

·
Right Here, Right Now
2,652 Posts
I think you might be on to something Broda, you shouldn't always trust the heights that can be found without proper sources. One common mistake that's been around for a long time is mixing up "plushöjd" (height over local "nollplan") with building height. I believe Hilton's height is correct, but as for the others... my advise is to check it out on the official blueprints that can be found at Malmö stadsbyggnadskontor :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you might be on to something Broda, you shouldn't always trust the heights that can be found without proper sources. One common mistake that's been around for a long time is mixing up "plushöjd" (height over local "nollplan") with building height. I believe Hilton's height is correct, but as for the others... my advise is to check it out on the official blueprints that can be found at Malmö stadsbyggnadskontor :)
I think so too, it could be that these heights have been on wikipedia for a while and have become the common "truth".

Yeah, good idea. I just might do that :)

I also had an idea of using a type of binoculars that measure both height and distance, if that would work it would be truly awesome and I would run around measuring all tall buildings in (first and foremost) Malmö and post them here :banana:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts