SkyscraperCity Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts
Arrow's Facebook page in December 2017:

Foundation works are underway at Airedale Apartments in Auckland's CBD.

Having worked their way through contaminated site issues, site manager Lukas Birgel and project director Glenn Carter are pleased to have the piling rig doing its thing and are looking forward to getting out of the ground early in the New Year.

Drove past and this has pretty much topped out. Can't tell how its going to look as its just a concrete bunker but I think this might be the render they went with in the end...

Funny how this, Liverpool St and Wakefield Fiore all shot up without batting and eyelid...10 years ago post GFC we'd have lost our mind that x3 15 level apartments all shooting up near each other...

Eastern Europe has some amazing buildings.
No one claimed otherwise. It's one of the reasons why I have travelled throughout Eastern Europe since the 1990s and keep coming back. Think you missed the point there.

Personally, I find the commie-block/Stalinist/Eastern Europe commentary pretty lame. Capitalism is giving us these designs - own it.
How is this about capitalism vs any other ism? If you have an axe to grind regarding political systems I kindly suggest you take it to the politics thread.

Think you missed the point there.
So, what was your point?

How is this about capitalism vs any other ism?
The clear implication of the frequent references to communism all over this forum with regard to aesthetically inferior buildings is that this political system necessarily results in unattractive buildings. However, as is the case here, the overriding profit motive of the modern capitalist economy is often what is delivering these poor outcomes. I am questioning the value of deriding such buildings as "Eastern European" or "Stalinist". I do not believe this is useful or helpful commentary.

So, what was your point?
Referring to a region that is, deservedly or not, undeniably linked to a certain kind of architecture that is often perceived as aesthetically unpleasing as the building in this thread.

The clear implication of the frequent references to communism all over this forum with regard to aesthetically inferior buildings is that this political system necessarily results in unattractive buildings. However, as is the case here, the overriding profit motive of the modern capitalist economy is often what is delivering these poor outcomes. I am questioning the value of deriding such buildings as "Eastern European" or "Stalinist". I do not believe this is useful or helpful commentary.
I referenced Eastern Europe, not communism. If these kinds of buildings were popularly linked to Antananarivo, I would have referenced Madagascar.

ETA: Fair point on the unhelpfulness of the commentary. No need to politicise it though.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.