SkyscraperCity Forum banner

THE ANTIPODEAN | 39 Beach Road | Completed

61K views 139 replies 33 participants last post by  Goats in Trees 
#1 ·
Noticed this on my walk this morning. New freehold 14-level apartment block going in on Beach Road behind Scene 3.

http://www.theantipodean.co.nz

1 bedroom (60m2) from $550,000
2 bedroom (103m2) from $765,000

I'm assuming these sizes include the balcony, otherwise incredibly priced!

See less See more
#3 ·
Good to see this site finally ready to launch... over the course of this year, the existing tenants in the two-storey buildings have moved out, and in the last couple of months they boarded the buildings up, painted them black and are presumably getting ready to open a showroom.

I've got a couple of pics of the site as it looks at the moment but need to get to 10 posts to be able to put them up... will add them later.

#7 ·
Love this design.

Yes it's another wall, but contrast the design (and hopefully the materials use) with that of the crummy Scene blocks and it's lightyears ahead. THough I've been inside one of the Scene Blocks and the apartments were of a very high quality.

Such a shame it couldn't be this that faces the waterfront. I love the curves. Wonder what it looks like from Anzac Ave. I hope they do a tall skinny number on the triangular corner of Beach and Anzac next door to this. I think that whole strip along the south side of Beach is ripe for high rise development. This is a good start.

#13 ·

Antipodean brings an unusual mix to Beach Rd

As more development attention is paid to the foot of Anzac Avenue & Beach Rd, on the eastern fringe of Auckland’s cbd, Paul Doole has brought an unusual mix of units in his Antipodean Apartments project.

Even before Barfoot & Thompson Projects launched its marketing campaign at the weekend, 20 of the 161 apartments had contracts on them.

The property is on freehold land at 39 Beach Rd, across the road from the leasehold Scene 3, so upper levels of the 50m building will have an unobstructed view to the harbour over the Scene units on Quay Park, where there’s a 30m height limit.

One-third of the units in the development are “up-&-over” maisonettes, apartments on 2 levels with a bedroom on each level and living space on the upper level. A separate one-bedroom unit slots into the rest of the space on the lower level.

A feature right across the 65m-wide building is that all apartments will have wide frontages, all with balconies. Internal sizes range from 32m² studios and 41m² one-bedroom units through 64m² for some one-bedroom units, 81-85m² for single-level 2-bedroom units, 90m² for the maisonettes, up to a small selection of 126m² 3-bedroom units. Balconies will range from 6m² for the studios up to 49m² on some of the upper-level maisonettes.

The units are priced in a range of $10-15,000/m² plus parking, with 2.7m stud heights throughout. A quick word from Mr Doole as he passed through the display suite on Friday was enough to get the impression that quality fitouts will mean precisely that: “The old state house stud height was 2.4m.” In other words, no, he is not building the same as everybody else.

Like Mr Doole’s other developments, notably the Connaught on Waterloo Quadrant, the design by architect Paul Brown has an art deco finish. An “owners’ pavilion” out the back contains the 20m lap pool & sauna.

Barfoot & Thompson Projects manager Matt Baird some studios were priced at $370,000. Above that, the range was $450,000-2 million, $90,000 for single parking spaces & $135,000 for tandem.

Source: Bob Dey Report

#21 ·
That will be why

I was looking at this (and my bank balance) last night. Looks like all the good ('1C') 1 bedrooms+study+big balcony units are gone - most remaining for sale are the many 1 million + units

https://www.dropbox.com/s/stozyp7y42j1gap/FINAL Pricelist latest - 29.03.2016.xlsx?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jr60bhagx... Final whole floor Plans 20.10.2015..pdf?dl=0
The adds for the last 2-3 months have all said 90 sold, it's like they have hit a brick wall sales wise:lol:

#20 ·
^^ Looks like carparks, central air conditioning, wooden floors etc are add ons on top of the price for the very expensive units. As nice as these apartments are (by Auckland standards, otherwise average) the prices are right up there. I wonder what the market will be like when a whole lot of supply comes through next year.

#29 ·
Was talking with a project manager friend, she said her office is dealing with the Antipodean and they've had to take it to negotiated tender with the contractor and expect construction to start towards the end of the year. Its not fallen off the rails, its just taking forever. Apparently the developer uses Paul Brown all the time, and is happy to work at their pace, which must mean Paul Browns practice is flat out and struggling to keep up

#35 ·
Most city centre developments charge separately for carparks, and quite a few of the city fringe ones are doing it too these days. It's a good thing - people face the true cost of parking, and now that minimum parking ratios are gone in many places, developers don't need to build more carparks than the market wants. I touched on this in a TransportBlog post a while back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.