1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Architecture Foundation HQ

Height : Not alot
Floors : 4
Developer: Land Securities
Architect: Zaha Hadid
Completion : 2008

Scheduled to open in autumn 2008, the design of the landmark building has evolved since Zaha Hadid won the international design competition run by Land Securities in January 2005. The new diamond-like design, clad in polished stainless steel, will generate a striking new point of interest within the Bankside 123 development and Southwark as a whole. Its distinctive sculptural form is a direct response to the urban environment in which it sits and the relationship it establishes with its surroundings. The enigmatic building will attract visitors from nearby landmarks such as Tate Modern and the Globe Theatre, drawing people into one of the capital’s most vibrant up and coming areas.

The Architecture Foundation will be organised over four levels united by a vertical glass-walled space that makes a powerful connection with the public realm outside. It will provide exhibition space on the ground, mezzanine and first floors, an events space on the first floor, and offices and a boardroom on the top floor. There is also provision for a café/bar on the ground floor.

The new home for British architecture will double as both the charity’s headquarters and a purpose built public venue for exhibitions and events on architecture. It will be a place of creative ideas and activity where the public can engage with the best contemporary architecture.

·
Blackboard Monitor
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It may be short but it's special so it deserves its own thread.

The Evening Standard and more importantly, Monkey says it has started construction so hopefuly some current pictures of the site will be posted soon.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If it gets built I will be a very surprised man. ( A lurker appears from the shadows to dispense disbelief) I heard that the building contractors refused to have her involved with the construction and delivery phase and the new tenants aren't that keen either.

·
Registered
11,915 Posts
If it gets built I will be a very surprised man. ( A lurker appears from the shadows to dispense disbelief) I heard that the building contractors refused to have her involved with the construction and delivery phase and the new tenants aren't that keen either.

What the tennants' the Architecture foundation who have been over joyed that Hadid won their competition & have worked with her on this project for nearly 2 years now arn't keen anymore.

·
Registered
38 Posts
No, not the AF. I'd love to be wrong but i did hear all this from someone who is in a postion to know more than I do.Which is most people on the planet actually. It would be great to see it built though.

·
Registered
78 Posts
In case anyone's interested, there's a South Bank Show featuring Zaha Hadid tomorrow night at 10:45 on ITV1.
It's a very interesting programme. As usual, she has been hindered by architectural conservatives in Great Britain. Up to now, her only commission in GB has been the Maggie's Centre. Tessa Jowell screwed up her plans for the swimming centre for the 2012 Olympics. What else do you expect from central Government?

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
TBH honest you cant blame just the politicians, you have to look at the British press and their people themselves. They're the ones who are ultra conservative, make an architectural competition political and nationalistic and are the first people to hound any politician when it doesnt go 100% to plan.

Hence being involved in any large architectural project is a risk let alone a loose cannon architect like Zaha.

(btw this is from an architecture student that worships the alter that is Zaha! :D)

slightly off topic bus does anyone else think Zaha looks like Ursula from the Little Mermaid.!

·
Registered
24,342 Posts
Who was responsible for the alteration?
The ODA, who worked with Hadid on refining the scheme so it was a better building for the legacy of the venue and not simply for the Games.

The original 'slug' design was more the conceptual design than what the actual building would look like in its final built form. There was no way the ODA would have the money to build that nor would they considering the amount of wasted space there was in that design.

To be honest, as much as I love Hadid, she really needs to take the hint as to why so few of her buildings get past the proposed stage in the first place - mainly because they are nigh on impossible to build the way she wants them to be.

·
Buka Pintu
23,627 Posts
No problem.:)
If it gets built I can see it becoming one of the most photographed buildings in London.

Ill try to get some pics of the site and works.When?No idea.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I love this!!! I think it's a great idea also to have a place for public exhibitions on architecture so close to the river.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts