SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Iran, (Persia) is one of the world's oldest continuous major civilizations. The history of Iran covers thousands of years, from the ancient civilization on the Iranian plateau, Mannaeans civilization in Azerbaijan, Shahr-i Sokhta (Burned City) in Zabol and ancient Kingdom of Jiroft followed by the kingdom of Elam and the Achaemenid, the Parthian, the Sassanian and following Empires to the modern Republic of Iran.

The earliest sedentary cultures date from 18,000-14,000 years ago. In 6000 BCE the world saw a fairly sophisticated agricultural society and proto-urban population centers. The south-western part of Iran was part of the Fertile Crescent where most of humanity's first major crops were grown.

7000 year old jars of wine excavated in the Zagros Mountains (now on display at The University of Pennsylvania) and ruins of 7000 year old settlements such as Sialk are further testament to this."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_history

]

·
Banned
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
The photos below are of winter in Tehran, they are not regarding the title of the post. I just wanted to show them so that people can see how cold it gets and how much it snows in Iran.

·
Registered
118 Posts
great!! thanx for sharing these wonderful pics....

i did not know you could see such a heavy snow in Iran ....... just beautiful!!!

·
Israel
500 Posts
wonderful pictures

·
Banned
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
By evidence, the history of architecture and urban planning in Iran (Persia) dates back some 10 thousand years ago. Persians were among the first to use mathematics, geometry, and astronomy in architecture. Teppe Sialk, an important ziggurat near Kashan, built 7000 years ago, represents one such prehistoric site in Persia whose inhabitants were the initiators of a simple and rudimentary housing technique.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iranian_architecture

·
Registered
211 Posts
dariush4444 said:
The architecture shown here out dates Hellenic culture by THOUSANDS of years. Some of the sites are more than seven thousand years old.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iranian_architecture
True, but the other post probably refers to the palace at Persepolis of which you posted several pictures and which was built about 2500 years ago. This structure with its fluted columns MAY have been influenced by Greek architecture of the time. (One of the doorways even reminds me a little of an Egyptian entranceway.) Unfortunately Alexander the Great's troops accidently burned it down about 200 years later.

By the way, while I have seen a few of these pictures before, I am curious about the partially ruined building that shows an exposed barrel vault. Do you have any information about this structure and when it was built?

·
Persian Gulf
2,499 Posts
DecoJim said:
True, but the other post probably refers to the palace at Persepolis of which you posted several pictures and which was built about 2500 years ago. This structure with its fluted columns MAY have been influenced by Greek architecture of the time. (One of the doorways even reminds me a little of an Egyptian entranceway.) Unfortunately Alexander the Great's troops accidently burned it down about 200 years later.

By the way, while I have seen a few of these pictures before, I am curious about the partially ruined building that shows an exposed barrel vault. Do you have any information about this structure and when it was built?
I think it is the other way round. Maybe Greeks or Egyptians learned their architecture form persians. And the burning was very sad indeed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts