Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 272 Posts

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Renders of the proposal from the Planning Explorer -

The view from Bold Street looking down Newington -

Copyright to the owner. Shown for information purposes only.

The view from Ranelagh Place outside the Adelphi -

The view from outside the Grand Central building -

The view down Renshaw Street looking towards St George's Hall -

·
Human Being
43,367 Posts
Renshaw street reminds me, in several ways, of Deansgate in Manchester. At the middle/further end of Deansgate ( towards Beetham) there are a lot of very similar buildings in look and in scale; except, of course, Deansgate is a lot smarter, in terms of retailers and restaurants etc:

·
Registered
14,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That Deansgate architecture is certainly more attractive than the Rapid buildings, which aren't that high quality and are far too small. i know that the floor plan get stupidly narrow as you get to the Bombed Out Church, but still, there's much more that can be done along that street.

·
Registered
14,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really like the Rapid buildings...... very attractive IMO.

Also form part of the continuation of scale with Leece/Hardman Street, Bold Street, Berry Street etc:
It's just one floor too small, for me. Hardman St just about gets it right, though I'd be adding another floor or two to any new builds around there.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Is Newington being closed to traffic, or did the person who did the renders just clone too many people and stuck them in the road?
The latter, I think. IIRC Newington, Cropper Street and Back Bold Street are to remain open to traffic, but their speed limit will likely be reduced to 20mph, so they become in line with the top, non pedestrianised end of Bold Street.

·
Liverpool + Urmston
7,287 Posts
Will that chasm ever be filled ??

Neal Hunter of Merepark has stated that Newington will be "traffic calmed", with sleeping policemen possibly put in.
All the past plans for Central Village have indicated that Newington would be pedestrian only from Bold Street to Cropper Street, vehicle access to serve the business`s would be under the boardwalk level via Cropper Street/ Renshaw Street.

Due to years of uncertainly who knows what is now planned by Merepark ,
will the boardwalk-water feature- 2 towers and Plaza ever be built?

[/URL]

If Merepark are talking "sleeping policemen", makes me think that the boardwalk and water feature which should finish at the same level as Newington will not be built, at the same time as Newington Plaza.
The above CGI`s are all out of date, which is a shame as this development could have been complimentary to the very successful Liverpool ONE.

·
Not another Manc Skank
459 Posts
Totally utterly underwhelmed. The extension to the Watson Building has higher architectural merit. And MORE student accommodation? Prime location for a hotel. Shame

·
Registered
14,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I prefer the design of the original, but i actually think the use of the overall plot now is more healthy for the area. With 70k sq.ft. of office space, we should get all year and all week users. The student digs will make sure evenings and weekends are sorted. If the IKEA hotel comes off, then we've got 2 hotels in the Central Village scheme, which for me is enough.

I'm interested to see how the key worker offer might work. Are they just keeping their options open to maybe offer it, depending on demand, or will there be some key-worker "floors"? I'd prefer the latter, which would mean longer term residents taking up occupancy too.

I like the scale and the Newington facade is interesting. I like the "blades" sticking out as it works well to add a level of interest to that side.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Renders of the proposal from the Planning Explorer -

The view from Bold Street looking down Newington -

The view from Ranelagh Place outside the Adelphi -

The view from outside the Grand Central building -

The view down Renshaw Street looking towards St George's Hall -

Looking at the width, location and scale of this Ranelagh Street, I would pedestrianise it or at least double the pavements, plant rows of trees, put benches, kiosks selling fruit, snacks, al fresco cafes. Business will then finish the trick. It is not so expensive and I have seem some neglected but central streets in Bilbao incredibly becoming meeting points for people after being pedestrianised and dotted with trees

·
Registered
14,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's Renshaw St. Ranleigh St is around the corner :)

Generally speaking, in the UK it is felt that pedestrianisation can kill a street stone dead. It can work well, but only if there is activity all day and all night. Church St (main shopping street) used to be dead after 5.30 before the shops opened later and it was often considered a dangerous street to walk down after about 7pm.

This road is too important to lose for traffic and they have only in the last few years done work to widen the pavement area.

I agree that it could do with greening up a little, but the same could be said for many British streets. There are quite a few cafes and independent businesses on that street. it's just a bit drab looking.

1 - 20 of 272 Posts