Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 552 Posts

·
Chip on my shoulder (BBQ)
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a hopeless performance by Cricket Australia and Ticketmaster7. Ticketek craps all over Ticketmaster.

·
Registered
533 Posts
They think Im a Pom! Where's my tix?!

Since Im living in HK, CA thinks Im a Pom and will not authenticate my ACF subscription! Anyone else having problems (in Australia?)

Unprecedented demand for Ashes tickets
Thursday Jun 1 20:04 AEST

The race for Ashes tickets caused unprecedented demand among Australian cricket fans on Thursday, but a nation-wide meltdown left thousands disappointed and empty-handed.

Cricket Australia (CA) had sold 182,000 tickets by 5pm (AEST), which makes next summer's Australia-England battle the most anticipated cricket series in this country's history.

Despite the response - which generated an estimated $9 million in sales - thousands of fans missed out on tickets after fruitless hours on the phone and online, and despite pledging their loyalty to CA earlier this year in the hope of getting first access.

The sale of tickets across 41 days of international cricket (comprising Tests, ODIs and Twenty20) were only available to the 128,000 members of the Australian Cricket Family (ACF), a registry established to give loyal fans first grabs, but even those fans did their share of teeth-gnashing.

There were delays across Australia trying to get seats through ticket agencies Ticketek, Ticketmaster and Venue Tix as phonelines were constantly engaged and websites crashed within minutes due to high demand.

To add insult, opportunists who did get tickets quickly put them up for auction on eBay, and many were happy to post them to the UK.

But CA said it had the right to cancel tickets being scalped.

CA chief executive James Sutherland sympathised with the fans who missed out but said CA and the agencies were prepared as well as they could be.

"Perhaps we have to some extent not understood the huge response that was going to happen from nine o'clock, but at the same stage we are seeing every second, 10 tickets go out the door," he said.

CA opted for a nation-wide sale rather than staggering sales over different states on different days, but Sutherland conceded the issue might need addressing.

"Perhaps there's been some teething problems ... when the dust settles in the future we'll have a look at that," he said.

But those admissions did little to console annoyed fans.

Sydneysider Gordon Leggoe spent three hours redialling Ticketek's number and refreshing its website and when he got through, was told the allocations for the first four days of the SCG Test had sold.

"It's an absolute debacle," he said.

"I don't know how Cricket Australia could know about this for so long and be so disorganised.

"If I'd had a gun it would have been dangerous."

Heartbroken fan Sarah Michael was first in line at the Sydney Ticketek office at 6.30am, only to be told she had to buy her tickets over the phone or via the internet, having been wrongly guaranteed she could get them the old-fashioned way.

"We were taking some kids with us and they were so excited about it and to tell them, they were very disappointed," she told ABC radio.

Sutherland said the response for tickets had been "extraordinary" and pleaded with people to be patient with ticketing agencies.

"It's a very strong indication that all of the ticketing agencies around the country are operating at full throttle," he said.

"When you've got that sort of demand and activity it's inevitable there will be some bugs along the way, but everyone is working very hard to do their very best."

Sutherland said CA would clamp down on scalpers selling tickets on eBay, as it had the right to cancel tickets.

"Anyone who's bought a ticket under the terms and conditions is not able to on-sell that ticket, the issues for us are tracking that down," he said.

By 5pm AEST the allocations for the first four days in Sydney and the first three days in Adelaide were sold out, while Perth was on similar track.

Tickets were also selling fast in Brisbane and Melbourne, which holds the record - 90,800 - for the biggest Test crowd on a single day.

But that mark, set on day two of the 1960-61 Test between Australia and the West Indies, could be bettered on Boxing Day this year.

Tickets for ACF members will continue to sell on Friday before the remainder (plus an allocation already set aside) go on sale to members of the general public (including England fans) on June 19.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
What a bunch of suckers.

Just buy tickets at the gate on day 2 onwards for the Melbourne test. There will be more than enough tickets to go around.

Besides they televise Melbourne games all live against the gate these days even if it ain't a sell out.

·
Registered
633 Posts
BobDaBuilder said:
What a bunch of suckers.

Just buy tickets at the gate on day 2 onwards for the Melbourne test. There will be more than enough tickets to go around.

Besides they televise Melbourne games all live against the gate these days even if it ain't a sell out.
Exactly. Anyway, I'm glad I'm an MCC member :)

·
Here Since 2002
7,256 Posts
^ You're a lucky one. I have to be satisfied with sofa seats.

So are Melbourne Tests not live in Melbourne? I remember in Sydney there was some kind of agreement to televise all Tests from start to near-finish

·
Registered
820 Posts
Melbourne and Sydney tests are live in their respective cities from last year.

I tried and failed to get Ashes tickets. I expected as much from ticketek. Ticketek's website is completely useless at the release of any major event, no surprises here. The phones were equally shocking. Couldn't even get on the queue.
Melbourne day 1 is pretty much gone now I think. Don't count on day 2 being readily available on the day.

Oh well, there's always day 5 (if required).

·
Banned
Tremendous
8,579 Posts
They will broadcast live in Perth if the WACA (which it will) sells out.

They really need to control this more like having the person who books the ticket show ID with their ticket to get in. They did this for Glastonbury fesitival in England and it stops scalpers. Or, much to the hatred of most people, they can go for a ballot style approach like they do for England matches. This totally sucks but does stop people having to get in first.

·
Banned
Tremendous
8,579 Posts
ACF allocation all exhausted for Perth and Sydney! And just another chance to bitch here - why in the hell is there no ODI of Aus V Eng at WACA? Just another cricket dissapointment for me, worse than watching the Aussies lose the Ashes.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Personally I reckon the 3rd or 4th days of the Melbourne test are the best to go along to.

The first day is pretty dull and it gets more interesting by the 3rd and 4th. You usually can get to see a bit of two teams batting.

Watch the first day or 2 on the tele and go along when the sheeple have all left.

·
QUEENSLANDER!!!
2,567 Posts
the public tix go on sale in a few weeks dont they. i really wanna be there for the gabba test. how much are the cheap seats and what do the expensive ones range to

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
What they should have done is had old fashioned ticket lines outside the relevant cricket grounds, where you must pay cash and produce a relevant passport to prove your allegiance.

It would have made Cricket Australia larger profits as they would have cut the SOB middleman out of the action.

Now you have all these Poms sneaking in by exploiting the weakness in the system.

Still it makes **** all difference down in Melbourne. The liklihood of selling 500,000 tickets is pretty remote.

But if they do achieve it, the cricket will become the biggest single sporting event in the world AHEAD of the INDY 500! :cheers:

·
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ryan79 said:
ACF allocation all exhausted for Perth and Sydney! And just another chance to bitch here - why in the hell is there no ODI of Aus V Eng at WACA? Just another cricket dissapointment for me, worse than watching the Aussies lose the Ashes.
Because the capacity of the WACA is woeful-22000. Thats below a quarter of the MCG and around half of the SCG and Gabba. I guess Cricket Australia just did the sums. $$$$$$$$

·
Registered
820 Posts
There are 4 Aus-Eng ODIs. Logically, they will fit into the 4 biggest markets. This means. Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide.

·
QUEENSLANDER!!!
2,567 Posts
sirhc8 said:
There are 4 Aus-Eng ODIs. Logically, they will fit into the 4 biggest markets. This means. Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide.
The WACA is bigger than Adelaide Oval and Perth is bigger than Adelaide. Wouldnt that fit into the 4 big markets

·
Registered
77,336 Posts
England lost again overnight. they havent won zip since Ashes while Australia have won everything!
i feel a whitewash coming on.

England embarrassed
Sport

England suffered a 134-run loss to Sri Lanka which leveled the three-Test Series at Trent Bridge on the back of an inspired bowling performance by Muttiah Muralitharan.

The spinner claimed 8-70 as England was bowled out for 190 on the fourth day.

Sri Lanka made the most of its second innings to reach 322, leaving England a target of 325 to win.

Sri Lanka's tail folded quickly when play began for the day as spinner Monty Panesar ended with 5-78.

With England reaching 0-84 there was cause for hope that a good effort could be made in the chase.

While Andrew Strauss scored 55, the opening stand proved the only worthwhile contribution in the batting effort.

Muralitharan, who took 9-65 at the Oval in 1998 in Sri Lanka's only other win in England, took the first seven wickets to fall.

Marcus Trescothick set the rout in motion when playing back to a good-length ball only to be bowled for 31.

When Alistair Cook fell at 104, it was the first of seven England wickets lost for 32 runs.

Liam Plunkett hit out for 22 not out and Panesar, batting at No.11, hit 26 before falling to part-time spinner Sanath Jayasuriya.

The innings was all over in 68.5 overs.

Beaten captain Andrew Flintoff said Sri Lanka scored 50 or 60 more than England wanted in the first innings but added that Muralitharan's bowling was the difference.

"But you can't take anything away from Murali's bowling. It was tricky going out as a new batsman facing that and we've been undone by a special talent," he told the BBC.

The match was of special significance for Murali who had his hopes of a 10-wicket bag disappear when Matthew Hoggard was run out.

He said Sri Lanka is not due back in England until 2011 and he doesn't think he will still be playing then.

"The wicket helped me and it was very hard for the batsmen who kept coming in and having to settle in quickly," he said.

"The 90-odd runs which Malinga, Vaas and I put on at the end of the first innings were crucial."

Sri Lanka 1st innings 231

England 1st innings 229

Sri Lanka 2nd Innings
Vandort b Hoggard 5(5)
Tharanga c Cook b Panesar 46(115)
Sangakkara c Trescothick b Flintoff 66(133)
Jayawardene c Jones b Plunkett 45(84)
Jayasuriya lbw b Panesar 4(5)
Dilshan c Jones b Hoggard 32(60)
Kapugedera c Cook b Plunkett 50(132)
Maharoof b Panesar 6(29)
Vaas not out 34(100)
Malinga b Panesar 22(16)
Muralitharan c Strauss b Panesar 2(4)

Extras: 10 (5nb 1w 1b 3lb)
Total: 322 (all out)

FoW: 1-2 (Vandort, 1.3 ov), 2-84 (Sangakkara, 23.3 ov), 3-85 (Tharanga, 24.5 ov), 4-86 (Jayawardene, 25.4 ov), 5-97 (Dilshan, 28.1 ov), 6-105 (Jayasuriya, 31.4 ov), 7-129 (Maharoof, 37.4 ov), 8-139 (Kapugedera, 40.3 ov), 9-169 (Malinga, 51.6 ov), 10-231 (Muralitharan, 66.2 ov)

Bowling
Hoggard 22 - 4 - 71 - 2
Lewis 20 - 6 - 54 - 0
Flintoff 13 - 1 - 38 - 1 (2nb)
Panesar 37.1 - 13 - 78 - 5
Plunkett 19 - 2 - 65 - 2 (3nb, 1w)
Pietersen 2 - 0 - 12 - 0

England 2nd Innings
Trescothick b Muralitharan 31(98)
Strauss c Jayawardene b Muralitharan 55(115)
Cook bw b Muralitharan 5(23)
Pietersen c Dilshan b Muralitharan 6(17)
Collingwood c Dilshan b Muralitharan 9(39)
Flintoff c Dilshan b Muralitharan 0(4)
Jones b Muralitharan 6(27)
Plunkett not out 22(47)
Hoggard run out (Kapugedera) 4(4)
Lewis lbw b Muralitharan 7(16)
Panesar lbw b Jayasuriya 26(28)

Extras: 19 (b 13, lb 1, w 1, nb 4)
Total: 190 (all out; 68.5 overs; 253 mins)

FoW: 1-84 (Trescothick, 27.2 ov), 2-104 (Cook, 35.5 ov), 3-111 (Strauss, 39.3 ov), 4-120 (Pietersen, 45.1 ov), 5-120 (Flintoff, 45.5 ov), 6-125 (Collingwood, 49.4 ov), 7-132 (Jones, 55.2 ov), 8-136 (Hoggard, 56.1 ov), 9-153 (Lewis, 61.4 ov), 10-190 (Panesar, 68.5 ov)

Bowling
Vaas 9 - 1 - 28 - 0 (1nb)
Malinga 7 - 0 - 24 - 0 (1nb, 1w)
Muralitharan 30 - 10 - 70 - 8 (2nb)
Jayasuriya 22.5 - 3 - 54 - 1

·
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Maroon Grown said:
The WACA is bigger than Adelaide Oval and Perth is bigger than Adelaide. Wouldnt that fit into the 4 big markets
No - the WACA holds 20-22000 and the Adelaide Oval holds about 28-30000

·
Banned
Tremendous
8,579 Posts
tic said:
No - the WACA holds 20-22000 and the Adelaide Oval holds about 28-30000
Perth is bigger but Adelaide have a bigger oval. Got to give it to them.

International cricket is a shambles in WA because of the W.A.C.A and the reluctance to do anything with that hideously ancient stadium.

Its so embarassing when your trying to tell people that Perth is major city. And it doesn't reflect our huge passion for sport. We sell out almost bloody every little bit of sport that comes here.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Not a fan of the alterations they made to the WACA. What was wrong with the old setup?

1 - 20 of 552 Posts