SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 334 Posts

·
..all progress is!
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was announced last year;
Rocket Investments plans residential scheme with £200m twin-tower development
http://www.freeofficesearch.co.uk/OfficeSpaceNews/City-Road-Offices-set-for-Residential-Conversion
And a planning application has just been submitted to Hackney Council;
"Request for scoping opinion pursuant to regulation 10 of the Town and Country Planning Environmental Impact Assessment (England and Wales) Regulations 1999 (as amended) for demolition of the existing buildings on site and erection of a 39 storey residential tower (approx height 152m AOD) with retail at ground floor and 10 storey office building (approx height 62m AOD) with retail at ground floor to provide approximately 27,850sqm GIA of residential floorspace, 10,700sqm GIA of office floorspace and 900sqm NIA of retail floorspace plus.."
App.# 2012/1980
http://apps.hackney.gov.uk/servapps...les/Skins/Hackney/Menus/PL.xml&DAURI=PLANNING
I'm not sure what a "request for scoping opinion" is, and there's no drawings available at the moment.
Any comments to [email protected]

·
Like 'Berg'
6,741 Posts
A 39 storey tower is going to be really isolated up here though isn't it? I know it'll have a neighbour as part of the scheme, and it has Eagle house next door - but other then that there are no other highrises here (unless I'm mistaken?) and perhaps few avenues to develop other towers nearby.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
This was announced last year;
Rocket Investments plans residential scheme with £200m twin-tower development
http://www.freeofficesearch.co.uk/OfficeSpaceNews/City-Road-Offices-set-for-Residential-Conversion
And a planning application has just been submitted to Hackney Council;
"Request for scoping opinion pursuant to regulation 10 of the Town and Country Planning Environmental Impact Assessment (England and Wales) Regulations 1999 (as amended) for demolition of the existing buildings on site and erection of a 39 storey residential tower (approx height 152m AOD) with retail at ground floor and 10 storey office building (approx height 62m AOD) with retail at ground floor to provide approximately 27,850sqm GIA of residential floorspace, 10,700sqm GIA of office floorspace and 900sqm NIA of retail floorspace plus.."
App.# 2012/1980
http://apps.hackney.gov.uk/servapps...les/Skins/Hackney/Menus/PL.xml&DAURI=PLANNING
I'm not sure what a "request for scoping opinion" is, and there's no drawings available at the moment.
Any comments to [email protected]
The developers pay the council app fees to find out what they think might work for the site before submit a formal application.

·
..all progress is!
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A 39 storey tower is going to be really isolated up here though isn't it? I know it'll have a neighbour as part of the scheme, and it has Eagle house next door - but other then that there are no other highrises here (unless I'm mistaken?) and perhaps few avenues to develop other towers nearby.
There's Eagle House and another adjacent hotel (both 20-something storeys, both under construction) immediately to its north. Here's a few CGIs of what's under construction adjacent to the red brick thing which is the site in question;
http://www.renderare.com/?p=755
The nearest building over 30 storeys will be up the road by the canal basin.

·
..all progress is!
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Is this the site of Crown House the Churchill Insurance Building?

·
Registered
24,250 Posts
I think this looks fine. Maybe a spire on the front of the tallest section to create a pinnacle point from the view from the roundabout? The low rise a bit chunky but I can see what they're doing there continuing the street line somewhat.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Has a wonderful art deco quality to it from some angles, yet the office building attached to the residential block is awful.

·
Registered
18,919 Posts
as this is Hackney we might see it go through at that height but no doubt the nutty neighbours over in Islington will kick up a fuss.

Also makes the pointless height reduction of Eagle House even more pointless!

Planners and Councillors eh!

·
..all progress is!
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
as this is Hackney we might see it go through at that height but no doubt the nutty neighbours over in Islington will kick up a fuss.

Also makes the pointless height reduction of Eagle House even more pointless!

Planners and Councillors eh!
Well here's the guy to write to if you want to make the case for being built at this height;
[email protected]
Or make a comment via the planning site;
http://apps.hackney.gov.uk/servapps...tion Details&PUBLIC=Y&XMLSIDE=&DAURI=PLANNING

I certainly hope it gets built at this height. Note the first post I made on this thread about an initial "scoping opinion" they sought from the council. Does this mean they've likely already been given a tacit green light for this height?

·
Like 'Berg'
6,741 Posts
I don't know if I think that it may be too big, given that the other new builds and proposals around it are half its height. That being said, if other plots nearby could potentially harbour suited sites for other like-sized buildings, I'd be more welcoming.

I do like the massing, but perhaps a nice little flair would be if one of the stepped up elements had a different cladding, a nice bronze or gold added to the palette. It'd liven it up a bit without it being too OTT.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Oh my god I cant believe I havent seen this and Iv been thinking when are we going to see a proposal for this site since they announced the redevelopment, doesnt look to bad nice and slender, looks like another cluster emerging in London. Oh happy days

·
Administrator
34,849 Posts
I think this looks fine. Maybe a spire on the front of the tallest section to create a pinnacle point from the view from the roundabout? The low rise a bit chunky but I can see what they're doing there continuing the street line somewhat.
a spire seems the most obvious thing in the world. i wonder why they don't have one here. it sort of screams for a spire. i'd raise the central blade very slightly too.

office building has an interesting cantilever which creates more space at ground level. the trick with shrinking the windows where there's high solar gain looks neat too, almost like a trick of the eye that demands a double take.

the developer owns new roman house on the other side of the road.

1 - 20 of 334 Posts