Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you got a list of ideas or things you would like to see changed?

Here's mine:

By far the most important and immediate issue is an Australian Republic and a new flag. Australia is not British or apart of the U.K. We deserve our own head of state - not Elizabeth Windsor and our own flag - it is as simple as that.

An end to the inferiority complex Australians have No, Britain or America are not better.

A more independently focused foreign policy. A stronger emphasis placed on Asian regional integration.

A national education curriculum 8 different curriculums for 20 million people is ridiculous.

Revamp the constitution a bill of rights, compulsory voting should be written into the constitution, the states should cede powers relating to the environment, the Murray Darling river ( just the water course, not the land surrounding it), education among others.

Increased spending on rail infrastructure. High speed rail for Adelaide and the east coast.

Develop Canberra it is underutilised.

More Aboriginal/Australian (whether they be Greek, Italian, Eastern, Asian etc. place names in our cities and towns. No more Elizabeths and Salisburys, Abbotsfords.

More funding for research and development. We should be able to develop and sell our own technology at a price cheaper than that of U.S and European based companies.

Regional development. 91% of Australians live in Urban areas - the big 5 cities mainly. This is a huge over reliance on them. We need more regional cities with populations between 80,000-200,000

Desalination en masse. It would be great if we could revert some water back in the river systems.

What are your suggestions?

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Number 1 would have to be a general populace that takes more interest in important issues and takes the time to educate or better themselves in these areas, and a media that would reflect this trend and subsequently see the demise of things like the Daily Telegraph and Today Tonight as major "news sources".

2. Republic would be nice.

3. Take a more pro-active human rights stand. Don't roll out the red carpet for the likes of Hu Jintao, Vladmir Putin.

4. Less fawning to the United States, especially under the current administration.

5. The complete decriminalization of at least "soft" drugs such as Marijuana and Ecstacy. In regards to harder drugs, more money into prevention and rehabilitation. No-one should be locked in prison for consuming a substance of their own free will. The double standards in regards to say, alcohol and ecstacy are just so appalling and misinformed. I've met no-one who can give me a good reason as to why the former is allowed (and glorified in our national identity) while the latter is supposedly "bad".

6. A government that will institute a comprehensive national transport plan and fund it properly to see it through.

7. Gay marrige and all associated benefits between gay couples implemented. No, i'm not gay, but there is no reason to oppose this besides bigotry.

8. Some young people in parliament.

9. Stop wasting billions of dollars on useless, out-of-date military equipment. There is no excuse in spending billions on crap that we don't need.

10. A Bill of Rights that enshrines freedom of speach, assembly, movement, the press etc.

11. More 24 hours stores!!! Even here in Sydney the paltry about of places open night round is pathetic. If i'm hungry at 3 am on a Wednesday morning, I want more of a choice than a McDonalds 15km away or a sloppy petrol station meat pie.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're Irish, aren't you?
That's a rather racially loaded assumption to make.

I am Australian, not Irish.

.....Who else would have so much hate for Britain?
It's interesting to see that when you criticise the relevance of the Union Jack on the flag or question the role of Elizabeth as the head of state - all of a sudden it is anti British.

I don't hate Britian. I think Australia has many things to thank Britian for, an example being our parliamentary system.

Why is a new flag and an Australian head of state deemed to be so radical?

·
Registered
984 Posts
1. Outlaw the Gold Coast. Nuking will begin in 5 minutes.

2. Mass genocide almost all Baby Boomers.

3. Male Politicians will to pass a hawtness test.

4. Invade, New Zealand, and Pacific Islands. Create the Australian Empire.

5. Republic. Julia Gillard first President.

·
Registered
215 Posts
You're Irish, aren't you?

Who else would have so much hate for Britain?
I know two Indians who really hate the British. I thought they were joking the first few times that they brought it up, I'm not used to people being so serious about stuff like that. :(

·
Registered
169 Posts
I know two Indians who really hate the British. I thought they were joking the first few times that they brought it up, I'm not used to people being so serious about stuff like that. :(
Yes, the Indians hate them a lot too. Unjustifiably; it's irrational anti-colonialism.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Yes, the Indians hate them a lot too. Unjustifiably; it's irrational anti-colonialism.
The Jallianwala Bagh Massacre, also known as the Amritsar Massacre, was named after the Jallianwala Bagh (Garden) in the northern Indian city of Amritsar, where, on April 13, 1919, British Indian Army soldiers under the command of Brigadier-General Reginald Dyer opened fire on an unarmed gathering of men, women and children. The firing lasted about 10 minutes and 1600 rounds were fired. Official sources place the casualties at 379. According to private sources, the number was over 1000, with more than 2000 wounded,[1] and Civil Surgeon Dr Smith indicated that they were over 1800.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jallianwala_Bagh_massacre

"The massacre of the Qissa Khawani Bazaar (the story tellers market) in Peshawar, British India (modern day Pakistan) on April 23, 1930 is considered a defining moment in the non violent struggle to drive the British out of India. It was the first major confrontation between British troops and non violent demonstrators in the then peaceful Peshawar city and some estimates at the time put the death toll from the shooting at nearly 400 dead. The shooting down of hundreds of unarmed people triggered protests across the subcontinent and catapulted the then newly formed KK (Khudai Khidmatgar) movement onto the National scene. [1]

When orders came to crack down on demonstrating civilians in the Qissa Khwani bazaar. The English troops had put advancing the Garhwal Rifles platoons ahead of them. When ordered to fire on the mob, they plainly refused to fire at the innocent people. The troops were disarmed and later court martialled.

The troops continued hunting the Peshawarites indiscriminately for six hours. Gene Sharp, who has written a study of nonviolent resistance, describes the scene on that day:

"When those in front fell down wounded by the shots, those behind came forward with their chests bared and exposed themselves to the fire, so much so that some people got as many as twenty-one bullet wounds in their bodies, and all the people stood their ground without getting into a panic. . . . The Anglo-Indian paper of Lahore, which represents the official view, itself wrote to the effect that the people came forward one after another to face the firing and when they fell wounded they were dragged back and others came forward to be shot at. This state of things continued from 11 till 5 o'clock in the evening. When the number of corpses became too many, the ambulance cars of the government took them away."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qissa_Khwani_bazaar_massacre

among many other incidents.

Good lord why would those uppity natives feel animosity towards their benevolent colonial rulers.

·
Banned
460 Posts
I wish that every hill, mountain, plateau and cliff in Australia was five times higher. Then we really would have a "Great" Dividing Range to brag about - none of these pissy little mounds that wouldn't even be considered foothills in the Himalayas... :D

·
Registered
215 Posts
A national education curriculum 8 different curriculums for 20 million people is ridiculous.

Increased spending on rail infrastructure. High speed rail for Adelaide and the east coast.

More funding for research and development. We should be able to develop and sell our own technology at a price cheaper than that of U.S and European based companies.

Desalination en masse. It would be great if we could revert some water back in the river systems.
Agree 110%

To add some more:
1. Rationalisation of LGA's, particularly the city councils in Sydney/Melbourne/Perth/Adelaide etc so they are more like Brisbane and the Gold Coast.
2. A very high-quality fast-transit network of high speed rail and freeways connecting all the big eastern cities (Adelaide to Townsville)
3. Very high quality metro's for Sydney+Gold Coast.
4. For the new busways in Brisbane to be converted to light rail immediately and to extend them asap.
5. Try to lure people away from the big cities and heavily promote/encourage living in smaller coastal cities, particularly in Queensland and NSW.
6. Out with coal power, in with nuclear power.

·
Registered
169 Posts
You could probably find hundreds of other examples, couldn't you?

But everyone forgets that rule all over India and much of the third world was more brutal than that imposed by the Saudi or Taliban regimes. These incidents, as bad as they sound, are nothing compared to the brutalities that would have otherwise occurred.

Look what happened when the British left; 1 million people died in record speed through racial and religious conflict--but who cares about that?

Selective history.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
My wish list:

No drought ever again

Add another 10 million people to Australia and disperse them over the already established urban areas, from then on a population growth of 500,000 a year, but spread out into all communities in Australia.

More Dense living, more highrises instead of sprawling houses.

High speed rail from Melbourne-Canberra-Sydney-Brisbane

A proper public transport system for Sydney.

High speed broadband equal to Japans.

Bogans have to be sent to re-education camps.

Stop getting involved in America's wars, stupidest idea ever.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Less bogans.

Faster internet

Less American influence....far,far,far less American influence.

Become part of the EU

Make politicians more accountable for the lies and deciet they spout out just about every time they open their mouths

·
Go Krauthammer!
544 Posts
Less American influence....far,far,far less American influence.
Better American influence than some other types of influence I can think of. Anyway how do you regulate that? Do you force people not to watch American TV shows, listen to American music etc?

·
Go Krauthammer!
544 Posts
Yes it's a terrible legacy the British left in India. The rule of law, Democracy, an extensive railway system, colonial architecture, cricket.

Actually by historical standards British rule in India was fairly benevolent. How else could a handful of British hold power over tens of millions of indians?

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Yes it's a terrible legacy the British left in India. The rule of law, Democracy, an extensive railway system, colonial architecture, cricket.

Actually by historical standards British rule in India was fairly benevolent. How else could a handful of British hold power over tens of millions of indians?
Yes, those savages should be thankful for their wise and benevolent English masters preventing them from sliding into savagery for so long.

That Ghandi bastard was a filthy terrorist, lucky we have control orders and Guantanamo Bay today to prevent those sorts of people from blowing up our American embassies and interrupting our cricket.

·
Go Krauthammer!
544 Posts
No. You should be ashamed of yourself for ignorantly subscribing to a lopsided view of history. There is more than one interpretation of historical events, even if you refuse to see that. I'm not condoning British Imperialism, but it is just simplistic to say everything about it was evil. I guess you would prefer to see it that way so that you can continue to dwell in some moralistic ivory tower.

·
Go Krauthammer!
544 Posts
The Jallianwala Bagh Massacre, also known as the Amritsar Massacre, was named after the Jallianwala Bagh (Garden) in the northern Indian city of Amritsar, where, on April 13, 1919, British Indian Army soldiers under the command of Brigadier-General Reginald Dyer opened fire on an unarmed gathering of men, women and children. The firing lasted about 10 minutes and 1600 rounds were fired. Official sources place the casualties at 379. According to private sources, the number was over 1000, with more than 2000 wounded,[1] and Civil Surgeon Dr Smith indicated that they were over 1800.[2]

among many other incidents.

Good lord why would those uppity natives feel animosity towards their benevolent colonial rulers.
The Amristsar massacre was terrible. That and the other incidents you describe stood out for the very reason they were unusual occurances. I'm not sure of the "many other incidents" you refer to. It is worth noting that on 6 June 1984, the Government of India sent tanks against Sikh extermists who were inside the Golden Temple in Amristsar, and massacred over 250 people. The order was given by Indira Gandi, who largely escaped global criticism. I guess because she was not a westerner.

(see A History of the Englsih-Speaking Peoples Since 1900 by Andrew Roberts).

1 - 20 of 95 Posts