SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a thread for Baltimore "Big Ideas". The crazy ones we all talk about and ponder, the ones we thik would help the city, the ones that are the impossible crazy dream.

Instead of cluttering the development thread, post your ideas here for the peeps to comment and contemplate!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
here's one to start:

Why not a graceful suspension bridge connecting south baltimore and harbor east/harbor pointe/fells point? it sould even have a drawbridge section to allow in the tall ships, etc.

light it well at night and have it be a focal point on the harbor. this would allow people to "lopp the harbor without uising the water taxi. it'd be great for families, would be an amzing place for photos and would certainly draw crowds.

i like the sundial bridge:

·
Registered
11,741 Posts
Very interesting indeed. :yes:

Ok, I've mentioned this many times before, and I know California has allot of these but I'm not aware of their presence in Baltimore or the surrounding area. I'm talking a mega indoor skate park located somewhere on the waterfront or close to it downtown.

I'm talking a skate park surrounded by seats with tables so people could watch the action. I'm talking a food court with all types of food that people can buy and eat at their tables while watching the action. Amatuers and pros! Even they, themselves, after signing waivers and being properly fitted with safety equipment can rent skates, skateboards or BMX bikes to take to the course. A "street course" and a "Vert Ramp" and a giant ramp would all be housed in the middle of this facility. Music would play throughout the place. All genres. Video screens of people doing their "X-Games" thing! :D
Music videos playing on giant screens. An area where live band performances could play.
An area where video games and other cool stuff could be enjoyed.

·
Registered
11,741 Posts
I'd also like to see a museum of some sort erected that had an Urban theme to it. Small scale replica models of cities all over the world. Each room a person would walk through would have a different city, such as Baltimore, Chicago, San Francisco, Paris, Dubai, etc., and they would have lit up buildings and bridges and moving transportation: ie; trains, subway, cars, boats, buses, planes, etc., at night and a day time view of the city. Each city could have have an audio system informing each person of interesting facts and stats of that particular city.

·
6,890 Posts
I'd really love to see a bridge across the harbor as well. Preferably a pedestrian bridge, or maybe one that includes a lane for a tram. I love the style of bridges like the Sundial Bridge and the Erasmus Bridge. I number of cities have similar bridges though, perhaps Baltimore could pioneer a new style.

·
6,890 Posts
I really think one of the biggest ideas for Baltimore has already been mentioned in the public sphere, and may even have some legs under it - that is, capping the JFX and building a park in Station North. One thing that Baltimore lacks is a truly great urban park. I think the area over top the JFX has all the keys elements for a world-class park - it's surrounded by dense, mixed use neighborhoods, it's near colleges and public transit, it's a cross roads between a number of different areas, and it has beautiful architecture and vibrant streets all around it. Moreover, it's not near the harbor, so the focal point of the park gets to be the park itself. I can picture UB students studying, MICA students practicing their crafts, local artists and theatre groups at work, tourists and residents strolling aimlessly. It would also work to bridge the gap between Mt. Vernon-Belvedere and Station North, as well as acts as a a place where public art exhibits by Station North artists can be on display. It could really become a true destination in the city, which says a lot since there really isn't one in existence that it not along the waterfront.

It was proposed earlier by BTA+:

My question is whether it can be done. I imagine it can be, otherwise they engineers probably wouldn't have proposed it, but the overhead wires below where the park is proposed to be are raised higher than the street level, thus they would need to be shortened or the height of the park would need to be raised. I'm not certain how easy it is to do either.

·
Registered
147 Posts
That skatepark would be great in South Baltimore, especially near the new Westport or Port Covington or, Canton?

I'd love for someone to build an Athletic Club downtown. I mean New York Athletic Club caliber, with looser membership requirements. Build it on that huge lot near the EPFL

·
Registered
11,741 Posts
As Vivo mentioned in his thread, so I would want to see:

I'd love to see a new man-made beach close to the downtown area.

Sand, palm trees and huts/umbrellas. Beach music and beach food in the air. People swimming and laying out in the sun. People having a drink and/or eating in the shade.
And finally, a few cheesy beach themed shops and restaurants right next to it.

·
6,890 Posts
There were originally plans for a beach in the new Westport redevelopment. I don't know if it is still in the cards though. It wasn't very big and only the earliest of renderings showed it. I think it would be fantastic for the city though.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Very interesting indeed. :yes:

Ok, I've mentioned this many times before, and I know California has allot of these but I'm not aware of their presence in Baltimore or the surrounding area. I'm talking a mega indoor skate park located somewhere on the waterfront or close to it downtown.
]
i like the idea alot sreven. we kicked around the idea of a skate park during the pratt street competition, but couldn't find a good home for it. i liked reworking rash field and keeping the bleachers and stairs, but a better place may be in the "mega sports complex" over at camden yards....maye a permanant home for the AST dew tour?

·
Registered
572 Posts
It would be great if the Red Line can go underground on Edmonson Ave. Also, the Green Line from John Hopkins Hospitals should go underground to avoid having to rip up neighborhoods. The skateboard parks sounds interesting. If you're talking about putting it near or on the waterfront, something about that makes me think of transparency (of course lots more money), so making it a "glass enclosure of a building with views of the water seems top notch and aesthetically pleasing. I don't even skateboard, so I could be wrong about the ambience. Of course you would have to deal with the idea of paying or non-paying spectators.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts