Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 202 Posts

·
Banned
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

The ancient city of Hatra was founded by ancient Arab tribes in the 3rd century BC. It was possibly part of the first real Arab kingdom - the Kingdom of Araba.

It has been a UNESCO heritage site since 1985 and is one of the finest examples of ancient Arab culture in our region - other UNESCO sites being the nearby Palmyra, Petra in Wadi Rum, Jordan and Mada'in Saleh in KSA. The ancient Arab kingdoms of the Lakhmids based in Iraq, Ghassanids in Syria and Nabataeans in KSA and Jordan once formed one of the most advanced societies and their cities were praised for their beauty by the Romans, Parthians and other people in our region. To this day, despite many of the cities being forgotten or destroyed, all the remains are world famous and UNESCO heritage sites.

The ancient Assyrian city, Nineveh:

Excavations at the palace of Sennacherib at Nineveh:

The plains of Nineveh:

The Nineveh Mar Mattai monastery which is one of the oldest monasteries in the world. Founded by Syriac Christians:

Ancient Assyrian city of Nimrud:

Ziggurat of Nimrud:

Some landcapes and villages in Ninawa:

Yazidi temple:

To be continued tomorrow!

·
Banned
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Tel Afar:

(notice the small text - 10.000 years old!)

·
Banned
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some more pictures of various landscapes in Ninawa, mostly from the western and southern Sinjar district in this post:

Roman era ruins in Sinjar:

·
Banned
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are welcome 3ini.

Please feel free to contribute. I assume you are originally from Sinjar yourself given your username? Am I correct or is it just a coincidence?

Also do you know why it seems not to be possible to copy pictures directly from flickr despite being a member? That's were all the best pictures from Iraq are located and you can't bloody use them!

·
Galactico
11,194 Posts
You are welcome 3ini.

Please feel free to contribute. I assume you are originally from Sinjar yourself given your username? Am I correct or is it just a coincidence?

Also do you know why it seems not to be possible to copy pictures directly from flickr despite being a member? That's were all the best pictures from Iraq are located and you can't bloody use them!
My tribe is originally from Sinjar (Syria earlier on). I was born in Mosul and actually never visited Sinjar.

I will with pleasure try to find pictures some day.

That's because the owner doesn't wan't to share them. You can use the snipping tool if you have Windows 7 or screen capture in Chrome and give the credits to the owner when you post them.

·
Banned
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My tribe is originally from Sinjar (Syria earlier on). I was born in Mosul and actually never visited Sinjar.

I will with pleasure try to find pictures some day.

That's because the owner doesn't wan't to share them. You can use the snipping tool if you have Windows 7 or screen capture in Chrome and give the credits to the owner when you post them.
Aha.:)

But what do you mean by Syria earlier on? Where your Kurdish tribe immigrants to the Sinjar region or where they originally from the Syrian part of Kurdistan?

A Maslawi then.:)

Great.

Why don't he want to share them when he has published them on the internet in the first place?:nuts: Thanks - will try it.

·
Banned
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Road to Hirmiz Monastery:

The Assyrian town Alqosh:

(notice the Iraqi flag on the left:))

·
Galactico
11,194 Posts
Aha.:)

But what do you mean by Syria earlier on? Where your Kurdish tribe immigrants to the Sinjar region or where they originally from the Syrian part of Kurdistan?
Yea and my grandparents have a mixed background as well.

A Maslawi then.:)
Yea I left early though but it's still in my genes as I'm bakheel to the core. :lol:

Great.

Why don't he want to share them when he has published them on the internet in the first place?:nuts: Thanks - will try it.
hehe true

·
Banned
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Banned
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Banned
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Banned
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good question. I must admit that I know very little about Yazidi people. They look Semetic to me, LOL. Not much Kurdish about them IMO.

The question is also where that "Arab" clothes is originally from? The turban is not an Arab invention for example despite being worn by ancient Arabs, including Prophet Muhammad (saw) himself.

Did you know that the first recorded practice of a veil was found in ancient Assyrian texts 1300 BC? I doubt many people are calling the veil/headscarf Assyrian today.:)

·
Banned
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would like to talk to an Yazidi and Mandean one day BTW. I am curious to hear how they view themselves, other Iraqis and how they interpret Iraqi history.

Their history is rather unclear compared to an ancient Semetic people like Assyrians, whose history is very well recorded.

What makes them interesting is that they claim to be originally from Iraq (as far as I am aware of) and the most stricking thing is that their religions, both Yazidism and Mandaeanism do not allow converts! So it's very much a "family firm", LOL.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
One thing I know about Yezidis is that MANY of them (if not most) do not consider themselves to be Kurds and are patriotic Iraqis. Good on them. :)
Yeah, there is a Yazidi family living in my town and they're very patriotic Iraqis. Never seen them with the Kurdish flag or anything that has to do with an independent 'Kurdistan'. Also they wear the Iraqi map as a necklace, gotta love these people!

1 - 20 of 202 Posts