by Aldo Loris Rossi 1968/80

·
Real Horrorshow
23,239 Posts
St. George's Tower, Leicester, UK

Unfortunately it got an absolutely hideous reclad :eek:hno:
http://www.skyscrapernews.com/images/pics/1045StGeorgesCentral_pic7.jpg
A reclad so bad they are now thinking of recladding it again :lol:
If they were smart they'd restore the original design but with high quality white render and original glass pattern. And no stupid antennas!

·
Macedonia
46,450 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
I would say that as a dream it reminds a lot of the nightmares of Piranesi.
interesting...
Fascinating for sure, but I know a lot of people truly hate it and I can see why.
I can't see... especially in this case. Many people dislike such buildings in the neighborhood of classic architecture, but this house of dreams stands in the harbor. It fits perfectly into its surroundings and function, it's a masterpiece.
If anyone hates it, it's a brutal person. >(

St. Matthäus, Düsseldorf, Germany (1972)
A mix of brutalism and postmodernism.
And what's wrong with the one I posted?
The postmodernism. :tongue3:
Inside is ok, outside bothers me the color and the plate.

...for all the hate...

by webplugin/2013/1465.php4

Public toilet,
Lauterhofen, Bavaria, 2013.

·
Registered
348 Posts
interesting...
I can't see... especially in this case. Many people dislike such buildings in the neighborhood of classic architecture, but this house of dreams stands in the harbor. It fits perfectly into its surroundings and function, it's a masterpiece.
If anyone hates it, it's a brutal person. >(
they hate it because it's dark, depressive and oppressive (it could fit into a surrounding that's dark and oppressive too), a perfect building for a distopian movie.
A visionary building nonetheless, and as I've said I find it fascinating. But certainly I would not live near it, it looks like a modern Barad-dûr and onestly I'm not Sauron :)

·
Real Horrorshow
23,239 Posts
I bet movies played a huge role in making brutalism as a whole seem dark and oppressive, just like Dickens made the Georgian style dark and gloomy in his time, and then others made Gothic Victorian associate with creaky haunted buildings. I don't see the style that way.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I bet movies played a huge role in making brutalism as a whole seem dark and oppressive, just like Dickens made the Georgian style dark and gloomy in his time, and then others made Gothic Victorian associate with creaky haunted buildings. I don't see the style that way.

I don't like to make generalizations and I've posted many things I like in this topic, and I like many other things. And when someone say that Rossi is a genius I can see why, it's difficult not to see the originality of his buildings. But that building for me is dark and oppressive without a doubt, and I don't think that he wanted to build something that looked joyful and cosy.
By the way, there are also horrors with arts & crafts bungalows, but I doubt the someone would call arts&crafts a depressive or oppressive style.

·
Real Horrorshow
23,239 Posts
He wanted something futuristic, not dark and oppressive. You have to look at the 1960s context, and that's what was futuristic and cutting edge back then. Cute and cozy was not in the futurist vocabulary, and that's okay.

It's run down now which is probably what makes it look dark, but buildings like these are very photogenic when they're restored.

2181 - 2200 of 4608 Posts