Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 560 Posts

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I decided to make a separate thread devoted only to the most valuable and worth to see places of Riga. In my "Riga place by place" thread these places would disappear between much more regular (ugly) ones and if you want to see the documentation of Riga, you are welcomed to visit this thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=604778.
But here I'm going to post only the best of what Riga can offer (through my interpretation, of course). All pictures will be mine. I will update this thread time by time but don't know how regularly though.

1. Let's start with some "postcard view" - I suppose, quite well known place even for non-rigans. This is Town Hall square with the House of the Blackheads (to the right) and St Peter's church tower visible in the center. House of the Blackheads is a replica building to the original one which was built in 14th Century and served for society of foreign unmarried merchants living in Riga. Replica building was built in 1999.

2. Vaļņu street is one of the main and most lively streets in Riga's Old Town district. The new part of Riga city starts here, it developed in 20th Century beginning. The real Old Town is more to the left from this street.

3. Vecpilsētas (Old Town's) street.

4. Mārstaļu street.

5. This is Vaļņu and Kaļķu street crossing - 2 life arteries' of Old Town crosses here. This is called "the richest street crossing in Riga" because 4 banks are located here - per one on every corner. Here you see the Nordea bank building, behind my back is located Hansabank, to the left - Unibank and to the right - Parex bank.

6. Līvu square - another lively square in Old Town, with street restaurants and lots of tourists.

7. Now more to real Old Town feeling, narrow and winding streets - this is Gleznotāju (Painters') street, a side-street to Vaļņu street.

9. Those who don't like crowds can find a silent and calm street restaurant hidden between the buildings:

10. The same street from other side:

·
***H***
4,517 Posts
Fabulous :)

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
11. Audēju street- another one of Old town's largest streets.

12. Skārņu street - inner core of Old Town.

13. Same street a bit farther

14. The Swedish gate (Torņa (Tower) Street 11) is an exclusive gate of Riga wall, which have remained up to now. The Swedish gate is constructed in 1698 with a mission to connect a city to the houses constructed behind the City Wall and barracks.

16. Trokšņu (Noise) street - probably the most narrow and one of my favourite streets in Old town.

17. Cosy inner yard of Trokšņu street.

18. Kalēju street.

19. something of larger scale - Vaļņu street. Science academy highrise is visible on background, it is some 2 km from here.

20. another look to Līvu square.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
After a while new pictures of Riga here! Let's look at the Riga's parks and gardens which are essential part of the city since 19th Century.

21. "Nymph" sculpture (in background Latvian National Opera building) was originally designed in 1887 by sculptor A. Folcs, but this is a bronze copy which was situated here at 1986. This could be regarded as the poshest fountain in Riga:

23. Note the fantastic work people have invested here to make these beautiful ornaments with flowers:

24. City canal is the "backbone" of the park "belt" which separates Riga's Old Town from Boulevard Ring building sections. Park belt is some 200-300 metres wide and some 1 km long green area, which was first intended in the middle of 19th Century as Riga's equivalent to Western European cities' parks .

some more pics will follow soon!

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
26. The building of Latvian National opera has been built as the first German theatre. It was built on the embankment of the city channel, on the place, where city fortifications used to be. The construction works continued form 1860 until 1863. The author of the project is Ludvig Bonstedt. (from http://www.citariga.lv/EN/index.php?page=303&id=2&part=5)

27. Green and yellow combination

28. Bridges in Bastejkalns holds many padlocks - it is tradition for newlyweds to leave padlocks here.

29. View from Bastejkalns hill

30. To the other side - a bit of Old Town, Riga castle tower and Vanšu bridge pillar is visible.

32. Bastejkalns park in spring:

36. After the Boulevard ring there is another park area in Riga centre. These are buildings along the Merķeļa street, Vērmaņdārzs park is on this side.

37. Monument to Krišjānis Barons in Vērmaņdārzs park. Barons was notorious person in Latvian history, he collected hundreds of thousands of latvian folksongs. Next to park leads one of the main Riga centre streets which also holds Barons' name.

38. Liberty monument from very untypical angle

·
3:36
2,848 Posts
"Nymph" sculpture was originally designed in 1887 by sculptor A. Folcs...
whaaat?

folcs? from what i know it's by the sculptor august volz - same guy, i guess? is folcs just the latvian version of the name? :D

anyway, this is a fabulous thread, although i find your threads of the more untouristy riga more interesting :D

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks to all!

whaaat?

folcs? from what i know it's by the sculptor august volz - same guy, i guess? is folcs just the latvian version of the name? :D

Yes, the same guy. "Folcs" is latvian version of German name "Volz". :)

1 - 20 of 560 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.