Skyscraper City Forum banner
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Well you can thank Cityrail's "improved timetable" for that. Hopefully when the new carriages and lines come on stream things might improve. But all of the major destinations are served by frequent services (every 5 to 15 minutes).

It's not like Brisbane where the frequencies drop to half hourly about 5 stations from the CBD on all lines except the Ipswich and Caboolture lines.

Trent.
The inner-city south stations on the Beenleigh/Robina/Cleveland lines up to Park Road Station are every 15 mins in off-peak.

Also as for the Ipswich/Shorncliffe/Caboolture. 15 min off-peak only operates between Northgate - Central - Corinda. In the outer suburbs + other lines except for the North Coast line, off-peak drops to half-hourly.

The only suburban exceptions is hourly for Doomben line (similar to Carlingford line in Sydney, but all Doomben services are through to the City) + Tennyson Line (Brisbane's equiv of the Cumberland line in Sydney)

·
Lurker
3,805 Posts
That's what Siemens need - a floor to ceiling rail in the middle of the door sections... fraken, 25 people can fit in there and it's hard to grab a rail over someone's shoulder.
I wish seating and grab rails were placed so that people are discouraged from crowding around the doors. Preferably bus-like rails that extend down the entire aisle, instead of just a few poles around the doors and straps off the ceiling.

The Siemens trains are very nice, and since the braking problems were in software, it makes little sense to say "don't order more of these trains because they are shit". Their exteriors are strictly functional with just the Connex stripes on stainless steel but oh well. If you want styling, take the VLocity, or any other current generation model of train in Australia.

·
Unacquainted Acquaintance
1,608 Posts
Still reckon the CityRail M sets have the best looks. All of the nasty undercarriage is hidden, for starters:

But you know what they say -- if you can't get it to work, at least make it look good!

Trent.
Quite reliable too now that they've fixed the bugs. And the reduced announcement frequency is a great improvement on the overkill that was before.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Yep, they sure are clones, even down to the 'warning arrows' on the doors:

Still trying to find a good shot of the new Citytrain interior. It's basically the same as the B-series, except the Brisbane trains have toilets, bag racks and maroon seats.

UPDATE: This video gives a quick tour of the interior:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I0UPm-kWcY

Trent.
So whats so special about them inside and that where it matters?!

·
Perthite
8,054 Posts
^^
Spacious :) No doors seperating the carriages, so all 3 are completely open. Top speed of 130km/h (which will be getting used to full capacity in Perth soon, and I am sure the GC line will travel at this speed?). Overall just brilliant trains:)

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
^^
Spacious :) No doors seperating the carriages, so all 3 are completely open. Top speed of 130km/h (which will be getting used to full capacity in Perth soon, and I am sure the GC line will travel at this speed?). Overall just brilliant trains:)
Trains on the GC line already go at 140.

I quite love the new IMUs/B-sets. Much prefer the CityTrain livery though.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Trains on the GC line already go at 140.
Only the older IMU100/120 series has the capability to go up to 140km/h, and they also operate to the Airport + North Coast.

The IMU160/SMU260 series' lower operational speed of 130km/h was in trade off for faster acceleration from what I read elsewhere. Thus quicker takeoff times from stations.

The rebuilt South Coast Line (the current Gold Coast alignment) max speed of 140km/h is only beaten by the North Coast Line, which already has the capability of going up to 160km/h (tilt speeds), but current upgrade works to the North Coast line will also allow IMUs to go up to 140km/h as well (up from the current 120km/h limit).

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Still reckon the CityRail M sets have the best looks. All of the nasty undercarriage is hidden, for starters:

But you know what they say -- if you can't get it to work, at least make it look good!

Trent.
The M-sets are now the most reliable on the Cityrail network, after they ironed out the software bugs. I find them the nicest and most spacious trains on our network. They look good, have great confortable directional seating and are smooth to boot.

The Brissy, Mel and Perth *new* trains are like toys in comparison.

People criticise the double deck suburban sets for being cumbersome and hard to load. The reality is that the Cityrail network is one great big compromise between different styles of operation. It seems to work OK for us - suburban trains on a semi metro, semi suburban, suburban and interurban network. We have more express suburban trains than any other city in the work. But our metro ops are a little slower.

Is cityrail the only metro rail operator in Australia that has reversable seats? Sydney people expect them.

My other favourite sets would have to be the *V's* way ahead of their time and oh so comfortable and smooth.

js

·
Galactic Ruler
6,857 Posts
Personally I like the milleniums as above but my favourite trains are the 2nd generation Comeng V-set Interurbans even better with the original gold mirrored windows. God they are sexy, big, long and comfortable trains, especially the ones with refurbished bucket seat interiors and glass cabin sections (I cant say I have seen one of these more recent variants recently). BTW does anyone know why the Interurbans have been running hardcore along the North Shore line? The never usually run them on this line but lately I have seen them all day. I much prefer it in the blue and silver livery or the candy livery though.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Is cityrail the only metro rail operator in Australia that has reversable seats? Sydney people expect them.
QR Citytrain also has reversable seats on the older MUs, Also the ICEs seats are also rotatable (as they were ex-Traveltrain units).

21 - 40 of 78 Posts