SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Social Housing
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a link to the interesting recording of the Big Brum Debate which took place on Sunday. It was a debate around the prospects of a new mayor and has some fairly heavy weight panelists such as Sion Simon and Liam Byrne.

Interesting watching - Sion Simon shows the most passion, Liam Byrne is more statesman like.

http://yestobirminghammayor.com/2012/04/15/the-big-brum-debate-2/

·
Ahoy Ahoy
7,829 Posts
I haven't seen any canvassing from either viewpoint.

Although I'll vote yes. I wouldn't be surprised if everyone's ignorance swings it for the No camp.

·
That's Dr to you
4,200 Posts
The No vote will piss it with ease.

As you said Hoody, there has been hardly any mention of it apart from the odd snippet on Midlands Today and in the papers, so most people haven't a clue about it or what it means.

There needed to be a proper debate about it, but it's almost been brushed under the carpet.

·
2,426 Posts
There's definitely a problem with raising the profile of the issue and informing the general public, but it's worth remembering that this is a grass roots campaign with both the yes and no camps being staffed by volunteers who have other commitments and no significant funding to work with. Both sides are continually organising debates to try and raise the profile, and I know the yes group are knocking on doors, handing out leaflets etc.

·
Social Housing
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Brum X said:
Ive received a leaflet through the post, however i do prefer to do a postal vote so maybe that is why i received something through the post.
No I got one too from BCC and I don't vote postal. I think we will see more over the coming weeks. The post seems to have a few articles from both viewpoints of late plus as linked above there has been more in the national media too.

There was a debate on newsnight about a week ago.

Just because a handful of forumers havebt seen anything about it doesn't mean nothing is happening.

The people who are likely to bother voting are more likely to look for this information than people that don't care (who prob won't vote anyway)

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I am spilt on this issue, I obviously like and want the idea of a figurehead for Birmingham, however I feel the position is open to abuse with too much power inthe hands of one person & I am generally against the idea of another layer of bureacracy. I cite Doncaster, that mayor has set the place back not forward, and can we honestly say having an elected mayor has helped Stoke? Its going to be a NO from me i think.

·
Gone for a bit
10,384 Posts
Article in the Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/mar/30/mayor-birmingham-boost-deserves

The article itself is so outdated it's unreal. Also can't believe some of the comments to this article... In today's day and age too. Prejudice still rife.

Anyway, as to the mayor I'm in two minds. Would like to see someone who can be decisive without all the bureaucracy and delays and who can shout about Birmingham but if its the wrong person then it could be a disaster.

·
Social Housing
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BABYCAKES said:
I am spilt on this issue, I obviously like and want the idea of a figurehead for Birmingham, however I feel the position is open to abuse with too much power inthe hands of one person & I am generally against the idea of another layer of bureacracy. I cite Doncaster, that mayor has set the place back not forward, and can we honestly say having an elected mayor has helped Stoke? Its going to be a NO from me i think.
It's not another layer of beaurocracy, the mayor will replace the council leader who, at present you have no say over. Also comparing a mayor of Birmingham to Doncaster or stoke is simplistic. A Birmingham mayor will have far more clout - hence why heavyweights like liam Byrne are throwing their hat in the ring.

·
Registered
19,930 Posts
It's not another layer of beaurocracy, the mayor will replace the council leader who, at present you have no say over. Also comparing a mayor of Birmingham to Doncaster or stoke is simplistic. A Birmingham mayor will have far more clout - hence why heavyweights like liam Byrne are throwing their hat in the ring.

Id like to have a women as mayor of Birmingham, our own version of Margaret Thatcher, exactly the sort of person Brum needs.
I quite like Gisela stewart, she also comes across professional when she speaks which i like.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts