Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
The best of those three is still Elizabeth, the other two are more complimentary additions rather than trying to out do it

A circular tower though ? , never, Thought they were not cost effective , according to the architect .

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
It will be amazing to finally have a tall tower that isn't a box, and if there's one company that can actually follow through and deliver, it's Renaker!
I agree to point. But a skyline of just glass boxes, slabs and rectangles of various shapes and cladding is far more appealing than a skyline just cylinder towers , a mixture of both is ideal of course, as long as the emphasis is on the box towers , this why I think if all these come to pass, Manchester will have a superb skyline

One or two circular towers is fine to break things up, and makes for a good skyline overall

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Like the height and shapes of the towers, not quite sure about the checker cladding (but the curves are a definite plus) and dark tone of the cylindrical tower (although the snake skin like texture is pretty cool), would have to see more images. Something familiar about the cylindrical tower, was there a similar Simpson design for the original GJS framework or his designs for the renaissance site all those years ago?
I was just about to suggest the cylindrical tower has a reptile skin texture to it ....rather than checker
If it is checker , its very subtle , I am very happy with all of this :banana: cant wait to see it start rising :)

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
I think it’s funny that we have 2 x 51 Storey towers proposed and this forum section is only on page 6 - even a couple of years ago we would of been on page 30 or 40 by now.
Yes , and nitpicking as well, only 3 or 4 years a ago a huge circular skyscraper clad in high quality glass would have been in the fantasy dream thread, embrace the skyscraper boom and think yourselfs damn lucky

we could have still been in the 90's nothing happening vacuum

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
That night shot looks great , if I was shown that 2 or 3 years ago I would never have believed it was Manchester at first glance, until you notice Beetham tower

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Yes , I like the tower itself , but its overkill with the DS towers nearby cladding wise, even though I like the cladding and it looks high quality , it needed to of very different appearance, we will have to see ,

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
I am quite looking forward to The Blade , wtf... another 'real' skyscraper and its got curved facades ! A few years ago just after Beetham was built the prospect of that would have been a dream for skyscraper fans. Maybe its the position next to ET and being the same height thats the issue for some . I have no issue with that or the cladding . the latter maybe a bit deangate sqaure ish but should look good as a curved surface , lets see. Think of HCT in Brum regarding the curve, but better cladding on the blade and taller and without a shit looking back .
Also looking forward to Colliers to bring skyscraper height to that end of the skyline. A few years ago all these skyscrapers going up would have seemed fantasy land , Beggars cant be choosers .

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
And that's great. However, I value urban design and architecture over "another skyscraper". As grateful as I am that we have had Renaker in the past couple of years Great Jackson Street has become their own vanity project and I can see Greengate going the same way.
A valid point, but we are deluded if we think the towers are going to be world class designs , we have Elizabeth tower, DS towers , and soon the Blade and Cylinder, and other skyscrapers due, and for a regional city in Northern England these are decent designs . I value urban design too and part of that is having well designed towers that work with the fabric of the city itself . I know its hard to get right , and some mistakes are being made, but in my opinion these towers are improving the cityscape and the once wasteland areas they sit in.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Mate this is my opinion of the tower and I don’t like it. I refrained from going in to depth as to why I don’t (when asked by @mileymc1) hoping a simple answer would suffice but happy to list why I don’t like it. Not delusional either.
Fair enough , you dont like it , you dont have to list the reasons why , I accept we all like different things , I dont like 125 Deansgate which seems well liked on these forums, I know I am in a minority on that .

1 - 20 of 60 Posts