Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Like 'Berg'
6,892 Posts
I might try and head over now. Love the massing and the shape of the towers but I just wish it wasn't checker board cladding - there's enough of that already in this area.

The landscaping looks promising too if the sketchy layout on that model is anything to go by..

·
Like 'Berg'
6,892 Posts
I was almost in attendance at the consultation (literally, as I walked by the suite :| ) but I've one or two personal challenges at present so unfortunately I didn't end up attending.

As stated above we are spoilt and we are so privileged to be in a position to be nit picking and critiquing towers and schemes of this size and calibre (compared to the dark days of the past) but I'm sure we all can agree that we do so (in our various ways) purely with the same motive - because we've an obsession with this city and its future. I think there have been some valid points of concern raised and I'm sure these were raised yesterday, so we'll see what happens.

They're both beautiful towers and the landscaping is completely on point, this whole area should be a real treat to walk around when all the zones are open (hopefully well interlinked as well as offering some privacy to residents). I'm getting a slight Main Tower in Frankfurt with the cylindrical tower, also seeing the comparisons to the Madrid towers too. As I said previously, I do have a slight concern with more check board cladding arrangements (which is much more pronounced on the Blade tower) but we'll see.. hopefully the fact all these buildings are on different axis may offer quite the variety in how they are naturally lit. I hope that crown gets some suited lighting too!

I don't wish for any buildings greater in height to DS, a 200m cap doesn't upset me - the important thing now is the delivery of the midrise elements to create a cohesive and dynamic cluster (and a more exciting skyline all in all). All in all, get them built! :D

·
Like 'Berg'
6,892 Posts
We just need a little less SH in this area to be honest - it isn't a dig or having a go but with these, Deansgate Square, Beetham, Viadux and then the prospect of the other Co-living tower nearby it is just a saturation of buildings that are just all a little bit too samey. Unfortunately it seems the planning department do not agree with me, given their recent decision(s)..

·
Like 'Berg'
6,892 Posts
It is possible to have an opinion and also grasp the concept that time will never stand still.

As stated, some of us have been on here for many years, we know how the story plays out. That doesn't give our views or opinions more gravitas (of course not) but I won't be deterred from giving an opinion. I love these towers, I love this side of the city, I just hope for some more prominent buildings as part of it from a different practice that give us something different to the mix. Chester Street gives a prime example of how juxtaposition works wonders in an urban context. By saying that I don't then require a brief history of SSC in return, thanks :)

·
Like 'Berg'
6,892 Posts
Bloody 'ell! All that work seems to have sprung up overnight, :D haha. Great to see them both rising within the same time frame - hopefully this also means we'll have a cladding sample of the Cylinder assembled soon too (preferably next to the Blade mock up to give that contrast).

I like the end cladding detail as shown in that last image - pity that it's on the profiles (but at the same time I appreciate that it would be overkill on the wider faces of the building).

·
Like 'Berg'
6,892 Posts
I sincerely doubt that there are many people who would suddenly take note of a non-London city purely because it built a taller building than the Shard.

·
Like 'Berg'
6,892 Posts
It’s not a question of “ how many”, the important factor is the identification, by potential investors in the City, of Manchester’s ability to attract the high levels of investment implicit in erecting buildings of that scale.
Signature buildings/constructions are recognised far beyond their location & have been for millennia viz.
Stonehenge, the Pyramids, the Acropolis, the Colosseum, the Great Wall of China, Versailles, the Eiffel Tower, the Empire State Building etc etc.
Not sure where my reply went so apologies if it’s a duplicate. The problem is with your argument there js you’ve listed several buildings or structures in which a majority don’t actually validate your point (if anything they had the complete opposite intention (I’m bemused as to why you would make reference to the Great Wall as a beacon of commerce)).

Furthermore, take somewhere like Blackpool - which built a tall, imposing landmark that is most likely known by most British people & is an icon of the town… a town of which is perhaps one of the most deprived areas of the nation. Anywhere can throw up a tall, it isn’t a USP (hell, even Pyongyang has a 330m tall “hotel”). When London built the Gherkin it was an instant icon & paved the way for all the towers there on, it did that without taking a title of being the tallest. It’s about giving something new & unique - so I’m sorry but I am still not sold that if somewhere managed to cobble up an 80 storey tower that the map would be momentarily flipped through the euphoria of changing tides..

·
Like 'Berg'
6,892 Posts
Since when was 55m “just shy”? It was a statement yes, but again not because of claiming accolades for size & size alone.

·
Like 'Berg'
6,892 Posts
I appreciate GJS is pretty much an on-going construction site still, but the litter on that road, all the way along it, and on both sides of it is absolutely shocking. Visible in part in Ferg’s pictures. Pat!
I must say walking passed the newly planted landscaping at Elizabeth Tower along the road was full of rubbish, what a great first impression for what is no doubt marketed as the very definition of luxury living.

·
Like 'Berg'
6,892 Posts
The second photo shows that Elizabeth tower is no different to you or I in wanting to keep an eye on the progress of the neighbouring towers..

I did think when I last saw the progress on site that the cladding had a golden look to it, but played it down to the setting sun - any signs or suggestions on the forum of there being a golden panels have clearly passed me by (I have since seen there were posts showing it). I like it so far, hopefully it will be less similar to the DS 4 as originally feared.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts