SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
sjwmoore
1,382 Posts
Very nice! Certainly a landmark for miles around, you can see it from Hunstanton across the Wash. The only thing that ruined the ambience of the church for me was that somr prat had spray painted a dick on the wall by the river- the minds of these people????

·
Premium Member
18,785 Posts
Looks nice. What's Boston like? Its always struck me as somewhere likely to be a backwater. I hear its got a very significant Portuguese population though (agricultural workers), which seems strange to imagine in rural Lincolnshire.

·
Titter ye not.
19,210 Posts
The Portugese aren't welcomed by the Bostonians however, there have been a few racial attacks. This is even though the locals don't want to do the crappy work and never have done, before the Portugese it was Sheffield Dole moonlighters who did the crappy work.

But yes, like most parts of the UK, Lincolnshire is being changed for the better by immigrants.

·
Administrator
34,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
boston is your wealthy lincolnshire market town (like stamford or sleaford). a mixture of lots of money and poor farm workers, it also has one of the tallest hospitals in the country amazingly.
PM shouldnt be so predjudiced either, it is the home to zyra too and there was a very cool goth piercing studio in a 14th century house right next to the stump. there's plenty of english eccentricities if you only look. i dont remember seeing local londoners in macdonalds in london, so its the same everywhere. dont be so predjudiced, lincoln even has a gay drag caberet strip bar now!
anyway boston is nice, but boring. i was bored after about 3 hours there. makes a nice afternoon out but i wouldnt recommend spending more time there.

·
Administrator
34,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what youre seeing is perspective. as something goes taller it becomes smaller and appears to curve in hence pics can show off that perspective.

·
quacked
2,294 Posts
never been to boston either. the stump can be seen from places in leicestershire and rutland apparently.

·
make it so...
6,755 Posts
i had no idea the UK had a 'boston'. guess i know now where the name for our boston came from.

excellent pics btw. i can't get enough of european cathedrals. i hit as many as i could while in england.

·
Titter ye not.
19,210 Posts
The original Mayflower didn't actually set sail from Plymouth, it started in Boston, Lincolnshire taking all the religious wack-jobs from round there, it went via Plymouth. The local football team are called the Pilgrims.

The Boston stump isn't a cathedral either, its a just a big church.

·
Administrator
34,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the boston stump

it was may day and a few weeks ago we headed off to boston to enjoy the hot weather. its 83.05 metres tall and was until the 1850s the tallest building in the world to roof.

the top of the tower is what is called a lantern. this was literally where they would have the church operate as a lighthouse with a light hanging there to guide people to the location of boston

the small scale of the entrance does remind you this is a parish church.

the interior is impressive although sadly they never vaulted the ceiling

the high altar is particularly ornate

as is much of the wood carving on show as you can see from these choir stalls

at the top of the tower satanists have been hard at work. yes, really. made a few inquiries and the graffiti really does date from when it says

and this is the view from the top. you can see the locks keeping up the level on the river haven

·
Just Relax
22,758 Posts
Fantastic building. Why is it called the Boston Stump though? Is this your nicname for it or a local term? Looks big enough to be a cathederal.

·
Administrator
34,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
stump because the tower was originally meant to be even taller! they didnt finish it. it's only 83 metres tall right now, the third tallest church in the world to roof after liverpool cathedral and the national cathedral in washington d.c. it is as large as a cathedral, boston used to be one of englands biggest and richest towns.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts