Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

'Eyesore' carpark to get new look

5:00 AM Saturday May 17, 2014

One of Auckland's ugliest carparking buildings which its owner describes as "an eyesore" is to get a makeover and have apartments built on top.

Luke Manson of rich-list family developer Mansons TCLM, said the Auckland Council had granted resource consent for the project at 206 Victoria St West, opposite Victoria Park and next to the Victoria Park Markets.

Mansons will develop 39 two and three-bedroom 80sq m to 115sq m apartments, and instead of selling them, will rent them.

"We'll be retaining ownership and putting them into our investment portfolio," Manson said.

The project will take 15 to 18 months so the units could be available late next year.

Manson said the site was bought from Victoria Quarter No 1 by Manson's and CMP Construction.

Mansons TCLM was the majority owner and was taking the lead role in the construction, with design input and expertise from CMP Construction.

"We have named the development The Boutique," he said. "At this stage it is too early to confirm rents, but we will be looking for long-term leases for each unit."

The carpark has 200 spaces. Mansons will add an extra 30, but will disguise the building with an aluminium wrap.

"The car park, which is an eyesore, will be removed from view and beautified with screening and planting of trees," Manson said.

Steel beams would be lifted on to the top of the existing building to create an extra three levels at one point and five levels at another point.

"Because the site is a gateway corner location, we are getting extra levels," he said.

Mansons built the Lumley Centre on Shortland St and Telecom's four-building campus further up Victoria St West.

It is now developing a 20,000sq m office block on the corner of Graham St and Victoria St West, to be finished by late next year.

- NZ Herald

·
Registered
259 Posts
I am so gutted - I was overseas when I saw this in the media and did a little celebration dance. This site has always been where I have wanted an apartment. Nicely wedged close to Ponsonby - Waterfront - CBD - New World - Victoria Park etc etc.

The dance stopped abruptly when I read on and found out that Manson's will retain ownership of the apartments.

Gutted :(

·
Registered
259 Posts
They may have actually begun work, today I saw them bracing and scaffolding the interiors of the ground floor carpark. If they have begun then they have moved from announcement to site works extremely fast.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
They may have actually begun work, today I saw them bracing and scaffolding the interiors of the ground floor carpark. If they have begun then they have moved from announcement to site works extremely fast.
I guess if you don't have to rely on proving the demand is there by selling a certain number of units you can just start whenever you can get a construction team on site.

·
Registered
44 Posts
They have started work. There is a site office with mansons plastered all over it in the vic park level of the car park.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Utterly bland design. Wasn't something more radical planned for here originally? I suppose it's good to cover up that horrendous carpark but given the site's importance and sheer potential, I think I'd rather wait for a decent project. Though Manson's do tend to have a high quality finish on their buildings.

Still, duuuuuuull.

·
Registered
856 Posts
^^ Yeap I have the same sentiment with this one. There are all kinds of awesome little gems in this area - like the one just to the left in the render - and this has nothing great to contribute. At least the car park is monolithic and urban which is more interesting. What a missed opportunity!

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
^^ Yeap I have the same sentiment with this one. There are all kinds of awesome little gems in this area - like the one just to the left in the render - and this has nothing great to contribute. At least the car park is monolithic and urban which is more interesting. What a missed opportunity!
I reckon it could be ok - albeit that the design is already dated. (Typical architects want to make a statement on their resume, rather than something that could have been more appropriate for the neighbourhood.) Nevertheless, more density here is a good thing. I've got a feeling this building is going to look huge when built. Monolithic compared to its surroundings. I hope it doesn't overwhelm the Drake/ Sprig & Fern behind it.

·
If seagulls could talk...
700 Posts
They should be forced to have vertical glass louvres in keeping with the surrounding character of this area.

G

·
The previous proposal was amazing. This isn't very exciting, it reminds me of the kind of stuff they are building in Cape Town - but hey, it's better than a car-park and might help save VPM :) I just want to thank everybody who is updating the threads, it's great for people like us to see what is happening :hug:

·
Kiwi Contributor
4,949 Posts
^^It's cool that you guys are still keeping an interest in the goings-on here :) Are you planning to come back and visit at some stage?

G

·
^^It's cool that you guys are still keeping an interest in the goings-on here :) Are you planning to come back and visit at some stage?
Of course honey, NZ is our land :colgate: We would love to come back and see how things have progressed. If I had my way I would be back in Queenstown every year and we have plans to visit CHCH in 2017 to document all the changes and publish a book.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts