SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Part 1 of this series focused on the major suspension bridges of New York. This part focuses on the bridges that are lesser-known outside of New York, but still play a major role in city transportation.

Tappan-Zee Bridge
Connects Nyack, NY (Rockland County) to Tarrytown, NY (Westchester County) over the Hudson River
Constructed: 1952-1955
Length: 1,212 ft (main span); 16,013 (total length)
Type: Cantilever and Truss
Lanes: 7 lanes

The New York State Thruway (I-87/I-287) is carried over this bridge, connecting the suburbs of Rockland County to the suburbs of Westchester County, and proceeding onward to either New York City (via I-87) or I-95 (via I-287). There have been ongoing talks in recent years of replacing this span with a new bridge or tunnel.

Queensboro Bridge (59th Street Bridge)
Connects Midtown Manhattan to Long Island City, Queens over the East River
Constructed: 1901-1909
Length: 1,182 ft (west main span); 984 ft (east main span); 7,449 (total length)
Type: Cantilever (multi-span)
Lanes: 10 lanes (4 upper deck, 6 lower deck)

Henry Hudson Bridge
Connects Inwood Hill, Manhattan to Riverdale, The Bronx over the East River (carrying the Henry Hudson Parkway)
Constructed: 1935-1936
Length: 840 ft (main span); 2,209 (total length)
Type: Steel-arch
Lanes: 7 lanes (4 lower deck, 3 upper deck)

Henry Hudson Bridge from Inwood Hill Park in Manhattan, looking towards the palisdades in New Jersey

Bayonne Bridge
Connects Bayonne, NJ to Staten Island over Kill van Kull
Constructed: 1928-1931
Length: 1,675 feet (main span); 8,275 feet (total length)
Type: Steel-arch
Lanes: 4 lanes

Bayonne Bridge with Verrazano Narrows Bridge in the background

Goethals Bridge
Connects Elizabteh, NJ to Howland Hook, Staten Island over Arthur Kill
Constructed: 1925-1928
Length: 672 feet (main span); 8,600 feet (total length)
Type: Cantilever

Goethals Bridge in background with Railroad Bridge in foreground

Outerbridge Crossing
Connects Perth Amboy, NJ to Tottenville, Staten Island over Arthur Kill
Constructed: 1925-1928
Length: 750 feet (main span); 10,800 feet (total length)
Type: Cantilever

The Bridges of New York City - Part 1

·
Registered
50 Posts
Very nice job, just wanted to alert you that The Queensboro Bridge, The Henry Hudson Bridge, The Bayone Bridge, The Goethals Bridge and The Outer Brige Crossing are all New York CITY bridges, since they all connect the city to outer areas. Remember, Staten Island is part of NYC (1 of the 5 Boroughs).

·
Registered
50 Posts
And you may like to add these bridges: The Henry Hudson Bridge, The Alexander Hamilton Bridege, The Willis Ave. Bridge, The Washington Bridge (Not The GEORGE), The Third Ave. Bridge, The Macombs Dam Bridge, The Madison Ave. Bridge, The 145th St Bridge, and The Broadway Bridge. While none of these are suspension bridges, they do play a vital transportation (vehicular) role for the city.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tonka Truck said:
Very nice job, just wanted to alert you that The Queensboro Bridge, The Henry Hudson Bridge, The Bayone Bridge, The Goethals Bridge and The Outer Brige Crossing are all New York CITY bridges, since they all connect the city to outer areas. Remember, Staten Island is part of NYC (1 of the 5 Boroughs).
Was that dirceted towards me?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tonka Truck said:
And you may like to add these bridges: The Henry Hudson Bridge, The Alexander Hamilton Bridege, The Willis Ave. Bridge, The Washington Bridge (Not The GEORGE), The Third Ave. Bridge, The Macombs Dam Bridge, The Madison Ave. Bridge, The 145th St Bridge, and The Broadway Bridge. While none of these are suspension bridges, they do play a vital transportation (vehicular) role for the city.
The Henry Hudson Bridge is in this post above. All of the other bridges you mentioned are going to be in part 3, don't worry.

·
metrocard millionaire
1,257 Posts
ashon...the tappan zee bridge is supposed to be replaced pretty soon...but there's a big deal over who will own it...the MTA or the state...

there's also plans to build a subway system connecting rockland and westchester to relieve the huge congestion on the cross westchester expy...

I believe the alignment would start in suffern..and end in port chester...I used to have a picture..but damn I lost it...although it's undetermined weather it will be heavy rail or light rail.....

the westchester side of the bridge is visibly detereorating...

the bear mountain bridge in peekskill is pretty vital also..

yeah the washington bridge is an very vital bridge I agree....don't forget about the university heights/207 street bridge

·
Super Moderator
11,285 Posts
^replace the Tappan Zee bridge???!
What do you mean, build a new one, or give the old one a make-over?
asohn, great job, I love your Bridge of NYC series, shows the world that NYC is more than just skyscrapers, we have so many bridges, long, small, the only problem is that there are no arched stone bridges, but from a 400 year old city, that's not a problem

·
metrocard millionaire
1,257 Posts
3tmk said:
^replace the Tappan Zee bridge???!
What do you mean, build a new one, or give the old one a make-over?
yeah man they're talking about tearing it down and building a new one

1 - 14 of 14 Posts