Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is an artists impression of the new Butts Development which is outside the centre of Coventry - at the bottom end of Earlsdon. It'll feature an office block, apartments, theatre, bars and restaurants & will retain the old Butts college frontage.

More details here: http://www.mcdcoventry.com/

It's next door to the Rugby club.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
That looks like a quality development. Is that the same McD that are working in the Jewellrey Quarter? If so the quality should be pretty good in real life as well.

·
Second Citizen
16,937 Posts
Wow, that old college is stunning! How come I've never seen it before?

The development looks classy, and quite sizeable. it's good to see some pics of Cov proposals too :)

It looks like a mini Brindley Place :banana:. MCD are a safe pair of hands IMO.

They also did Islington Gates, King Edwards Wharf, and are doing Brindley House and a couple of others in Brum.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, that old college is stunning! How come I've never seen it before?

The development looks classy, and quite sizeable. it's good to see some pics of Cov proposals too :)

It looks like a mini Brindley Place :banana:. MCD are a safe pair of hands IMO.

They also did Islington Gates, King Edwards Wharf, and are doing Brindley House and a couple of others in Brum.
The college is on the "Butts" dual carriageways, off the same ringroad exit as Ikea, and not far from the Ramada hotel. It's not a particularly notable street - lined with mainly 1960s blocks of flats. It's quite a drab place. Oh, and the rugby ground is along there as well, but that still looks half completed.

I think the heights of the buildings range from 5-11 storeys, and apparently they have an employer lined up for the office development (The tall bit at the front with the chequerboard pattern on it).

Like a like of Cov developments, it's outside the city centre, though. Although handy for me if the bars/restaurants are any good, as it's not far from Earlsdon!

·
Registered
468 Posts
The college is on the "Butts" dual carriageways, off the same ringroad exit as Ikea, and not far from the Ramada hotel. It's not a particularly notable street - lined with mainly 1960s blocks of flats. It's quite a drab place. Oh, and the rugby ground is along there as well, but that still looks half completed.

I think the heights of the buildings range from 5-11 storeys, and apparently they have an employer lined up for the office development (The tall bit at the front with the chequerboard pattern on it).

Like a like of Cov developments, it's outside the city centre, though. Although handy for me if the bars/restaurants are any good, as it's not far from Earlsdon!
Its been confirmed that the QCA have chosen the Butts development, i will post the article on here in the next few days when i can find it again.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its been confirmed that the QCA have chosen the Butts development, i will post the article on here in the next few days when i can find it again.
This'll be why they're building the office block first, and the jobs there will provide a lot of custom for the retail part of it - and hopefully attract more companies to the rest of the office space.

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
Is this in the Spon End area? Look great though! I love the college and I like the look of a highrise making itself known there ;)

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is this in the Spon End area? Look great though! I love the college and I like the look of a highrise making itself known there ;)
Well, I'd call it Spon End, but they seem to be calling it Earlsdon.

There's planning permission for a 17 storey apartment block not far from there as well. Not started yet, though.

·
Registered
153 Posts
wow, i love this it looks great.
shame its not closer to the center but i guess its not that far.
might help the area between the center and the new butts, to devlope, who knows.

wats this 17 storey building then ?

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wow, i love this it looks great.
shame its not closer to the center but i guess its not that far.
might help the area between the center and the new butts, to devlope, who knows.

wats this 17 storey building then ?
Permission was granted last year for a 17 storey apartment block that would on top of a 2 storey swimming pool/leisure centre on the land next door to the Ramada Hotel. It used to be a car park. The same developers were also going to build on the other side of the car park as well.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Permission was granted last year for a 17 storey apartment block that would on top of a 2 storey swimming pool/leisure centre on the land next door to the Ramada Hotel. It used to be a car park. The same developers were also going to build on the other side of the car park as well.
cool sounds good.
seems as though that area is not doing to bad then.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think that looks pretty impressive. It needs to be linked well to the city centre though. Is the college staying as it is then, or is it moving out?
The college is moving to a new purpose built campus in Hillfields. Maybe Dr Pepper can start a thread on it and Swanswell?

Alas, the ringroad prevents the Butts from being well linked to the city centre.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The college is moving to a new purpose built campus in Hillfields. Maybe Dr Pepper can start a thread on it and Swanswell?

Alas, the ringroad prevents the Butts from being well linked to the city centre.
Thanks, i didn't realise they were moving!! Those would be the new buildings by Cov & Warks hospital?
If only they had gone ahead with lowering the ringroad around that area, it would have made a nice walk up Spon street to the new development (ignoring the flats on the way!!)

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks, i didn't realise they were moving!! Those would be the new buildings by Cov & Warks hospital?
If only they had gone ahead with lowering the ringroad around that area, it would have made a nice walk up Spon street to the new development (ignoring the flats on the way!!)

Looks like Cov is saddled with the ringroad... Although if they build around it a lot more, it may stop the city centre being so dead!

·
Registered
4,072 Posts

Might well do. There is some building work linked to the Swanswell Initiative under way, some cleared land and some buildings still standing that are due down (unless the plans change again). The whole initiative seems to be taking a back seat to other projects that will finish sooner such as Ikea, Friargate and Belgrade Plaza.

Once the rain stops I shall try and take some photos.

1 - 20 of 180 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.