SkyscraperCity banner

The Canadian news network of my choice is......

• .....the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation.

Votes: 40 60.6%
  • .....Canadian Television.

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • .....CanWest Global Communications.

Votes: 15 22.7%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Ex-mod
7,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know that we have three media super powers in Canada:

- Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, with main anchor Peter Mansbridge

- Canadian Television, with main anchor Lloyd Robinson

- CanWest Global, with main anchor Kevin Newman

Who's your favourite considering style of coverage, graphics, theme music, opening music, special music, quality of coverage, honesty and non bias, etc.?

Evaluate if you want by copying and pasting the below scoresheet and filling it out for each of the three networks.

Style of news: /10
Graphics: /5
Music (theme, special, feature, etc.): /5
Quality of news: /40
Anchors, news reporters, etc.: /5
Special features and originality of coverage: /5
Honesty and bias: /30
TOTAL: /100

·
....kay?
550 Posts
okay, i watch Global BC (BCTV). i find that it has a better style? i'm not sure.. but i used to watch BCTV when it was CTV, but now it's Global and i've just stuck with it. i like the anchors and the style. but sometimes i watch CITYTV Vancouver.
Style of news: 9/10, the deliver it really professionaly
Graphics: 5/5 very modern
Music (theme, special, feature, etc.): 5/5, it catches my attention
Quality of news: 30/40, sometimes i just get tired of hearing the same thing over and over. i also don't like how it focuses mostly on the lower mainland
Anchors, news reporters, etc.: 3/5. the morning ones suck. in the morning i usually switch to citytv
Special features and originality of coverage: 3/5 meh, nothing too special
Honesty and bias: 30/30
TOTAL: 85/100

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
The least bad is CBC's "The National" (forget the 6 o'clock) or "CBC Sunday Report", although I'm not terribly thrilled with any of the "news" services we have in Canada. I'd love to see something as no-nonsense and unadorned as PBS's "Jim Lehrer Newshour".

Anyway, The National:
Style of news: 7/10
Graphics: 4/5 (but I don't give a shit)
Music (theme, special, feature, etc.): 5/5 (I like The National's intro music, but again, who cares?)
Quality of news: 34/40 (sober, informative, but doesn't cast a large enough net)
Anchors, news reporters, etc.: 4/5 (all are tolerable)
Special features and originality of coverage: 3/5 (The National's documentaries are good)
Honesty and bias: 22/30 (The CBC has a clear lower-left bias (fine with me), but it is forthcoming about that bias, and always gives the other side its say. Alternate explanation: maybe I'm so accustomed to corporatized "news" (read: all the others) that I'm blind to news that is actually impartial)
TOTAL: 79/100

·
Ex-mod
7,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i watch Global by far the most with CTV and the CBC in a second tie.

GLOBAL:

Style of news: 9/10 (professional when it is professional and its fun and humurous when the time is right)
Graphics: 5/5 (very sleek)
Music (theme, special, feature, etc.): 5/5
Quality of news: 38/40
Anchors, news reporters, etc.: 5/5
Special features and originality of coverage: 4.5/5
Honesty and bias: 29/30
TOTAL: 95.5/100

CTV:

Style of news: 8/10
Graphics: 4.5/5
Quality of news: 36/40
Anchors, news reporters, etc.: 4.5/5
Special features and originality of coverage: 4.5/5
Honesty and bias: 28/30
TOTAL: 90.5/100

CBC:

Style of news: 7/10
Graphics: 3/5
Quality of news: 37.5/40
Anchors, news reporters, etc.: 5/5
Special features and originality of coverage: 5/5
Honesty and bias: 24/30
TOTAL: 86.5/100

·
Registered
977 Posts
Global National is the best by far, its faster paced and less dull then the others. CTV's national news is the worst. Lloyd Robinson sucks hes so boring and CTV's news is presented very dull. CTV is Canada's most watch news because you fall a sleep with the TV on. CBC is good qulity news but I still find it dull, but they have great documentarys.

·
Ex-mod
7,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i love the Global graphics especially the ones for the National. on weekdays, its the red globe and on weekends its a red map in a room that goes upside down and then "Global National" appears.

i really like some of the CBC's graphics but some of it really do seem outdated and unprofessional. same with CTV.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I chose Global more out of hometown pride than anything. I find it comparable to CTV for the most part though. CBC is quality but the bias is unmistakable. Their lack of impartiality detracts from the message and therefore I wouldn't vote for them.

·
Technocrat
878 Posts
I voted CTV because I watch CFCN for local news...

CBC is pretty good as far as graphics and depth are concerned, but their bias is very clear and a lot of the time the content is stuff I could have watched on CNN in far less time. Sometimes it also annoys me how some long stories on the National are about heavy snowfall in this area or another (often TO)...who the hell cares, it's Canada...

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
mr.x said:
i love the Global graphics especially the ones for the National. on weekdays, its the red globe and on weekends its a red map in a room that goes upside down and then "Global National" appears.

i really like some of the CBC's graphics but some of it really do seem outdated and unprofessional. same with CTV.

Yoyu wanna see unprofessional, watch TBTV news (www.tbtv.com) it looks like it'som the 70s :p

·
Registered
676 Posts
I don't look at graphics as much as impartiality and content. Global always seems to be touting the party line, which is why alot of people call it Fox News Canada. I don't think it's that extreme, but you can see the bias. CTV is pretty good, but the CBC is definitely the best, especially The National.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I will admit that CBC is my favourite, but if I'm going to watch the news I am going to do so on more then one network to get a spread of different opinions/biases.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Global National is my preferred source: fast-paced, and Kevin makes me want to stay tuned; Lloyd is too stuffy--he has gotta go; Tom Clark is the best replacement! Everytime I tune into The National, they are always covering foreign crap that I am sick of. Brian Stewart is fucken scary looking--more times than not he looks like he is drunk--eyes all droopy and blood-shot-looking...

·
Ex-mod
7,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
correct me if i'm wrong about your province.

the network news domination:

BC: Global
- Vancouver: 1) Global (300,000 local average)
2) CTV (50,000-90,000 local average)
3) CBC (30,000 local average)

ALBERTA: Global

SASK: Global/CTV

MANITOBA: CTV

ONTARIO: CBC/CTV
- Toronto: 1) City Pulse and CTV
2) CBC
3) Global

QUEBEC: Radio Canada (CBC)

NOVA SCOTIA: CBC/CTV

NEW BRUNS: CTV/CBC

NEWFOUNDLAND: CBC

PEI: CTV

·
www.mtlurb.com
2,159 Posts
mr.x said:
correct me if i'm wrong about your province.

the network news domination:

BC: Global
ALBERTA: Global
SASK: Global/CTV
MANITOBA: Global/CBC
ONTARIO: CBC/CTV
QUEBEC: CBC Radio Canada
NOVA SCOTIA: CBC/CTV
NEW BRUNS: CTV/CBC
NEWFOUNDLAND: CBC
PEI: CTV
CBC doesn't dominate in Quebec, its Radio Canada with its all news channel RDI. But the most watched evening news are on the TVA network.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
CKY (CTV) dominates in Manitoba! CTV pretty much dominates the whole country since Global has been too cheap to buy top American programming; CTV buys it. CTV has been the ratings champ for the past couple of years, with Global having maybe two shows in the top 20. Actually, the latest ratings features an anomaly: Global has six shows in the top 20....

http://www.bbm.ca/en/nat03282005.pdf

Global does very well in the Vancouver market because it was shrewd and bought BCTV, the ratings champ!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts