SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1259 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,298 Posts
JUXTAPOL said:
Baltic Triangle thread.

Cheers for the pics, i just love building activity.
I used to have the same feelings in the 1960s when there was tower cranes everywhere too. I remember seeing the artist impresion of Concorse House at Lime St station and thinking "how wonderful". It all turned to kaka though. Any design has to be right and blend in with the immediate surrounds. It has to be well thought out for the long term, outherwise the same mistakes are made.

Like filling in docks to make a hard-on building site is only a short fix.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
21,548 Posts
Haven't you realised that what is proposed now John is entirely different to what occured in the 60s' sadly I also thought that what was happening in the 60s' was part of the ongoing good, but then I was a kid... soon picked up what it was actually all about however... inspired me to follow my interest in proper city building rather than planners strange notions of urban nirvana. If yu had picked up on this then you would understand that much of the new proposals are profoundly different in nature and imapct, as they are mainly about putting the incrementally changing, intensively developed and mixed use city we had back together again....Please!


Your plea for sympatico has been going on for ages in Liverpool John, ironically it is all the shite on the south docks as well as things like Commutation plaza and the halifax bdg.... do you really like these now?

Constant reference to hard on's also makes you sound like a dick head!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,298 Posts
Tony Sebo said:
Haven't you realised that what is proposed now John is entirely different to what occured in the 60s'

Constant reference to hard on's also makes you sound like a dick head!?
I am not the one creaming looking at concrete being erected.

your plea for sympatico has been going on for ages in Liverpool John, ironically it is all the shite on the south docks as well as things like Commutation plaza and the halifax bdg.... do you really like these now?
No. Not at all. People make noises but do nothing while idiots in charge ignore them and take the cheap and nasty way out and no one wins. No Idea, no direction, no vision, no value of history, no idea of hertitage, no idea of how to blend the old with the new. Sweep it all away for a profiteer to rip us off for short term results. Heard the promises, seen the results. Seen it all before - Utopia on the way.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
21,548 Posts
Maybe you're on the wrong forum then? If you have contempt those who enjoy new buildings and the growth we could have in the city then why spend time on this site?

The tat you continually go on about, quite correctly, has been inspired by the very heritage notions you say we should impose across the board.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,298 Posts
Tony Sebo said:
Maybe you're on the wrong forum then? If you have contempt those who enjoy new buildings and the growth we could have in the city then why spend time on this site?
I love new, inspired and well made building that blend in to their environment. That does not mean destruction of history and heritage.

The tat you continually go on about, quite correctly, has been inspired by the very heritage notions you say we should impose across the board.
No one is saying copy the old - just keep it and highlight it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
21,548 Posts
John-MK said:
I love new, inspired and well made building that blend in to their environment. That does not mean destruction of history and heritage.



No one is saying copy the old - just keep it and highlight it.
On those two points we can agree.
But you don't highlight old buildings by aping their style.. new should be what ever it wants to be and needs to be... with a few exceptions. Areas do have to change sue and usually that means they have to change apprearence.

We do not have to save EVERYTHING... some stuff can go, but in the main, we keep!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,298 Posts
Tony Sebo said:
On those two points we can agree.
But you don't highlight old buildings by aping their style..
You can, but you can also do it with modern buildings too. Unfortunately in Liverpool aping the old has led to uninspired tat.

new should be what ever it wants to be and needs to be... with a few exceptions. Areas do have to change sue and usually that means they have to change apprearence.

We do not have to save EVERYTHING... some stuff can go, but in the main, we keep!
Filling in docks is not stuff that can go.
 

·
Registered User
Joined
·
3,468 Posts
Kev, good suggestion for this thread, I've posted my pics on the Baltic thread but I don't think it will do any harm to re-post some of them here.

November 2005



December 2005



February 2006



March 2006






April 2006









 

·
800th birthday in 2007
Joined
·
4,198 Posts
John-MK said:
I used to have the same feelings in the 1960s when there was tower cranes everywhere too. I remember seeing the artist impresion of Concorse House at Lime St station and thinking "how wonderful". It all turned to kaka though. Any design has to be right and blend in with the immediate surrounds. It has to be well thought out for the long term, outherwise the same mistakes are made.

Like filling in docks to make a hard-on building site is only a short fix.
You are making a lot of assumptions that may or may not be true, but to quote someone "TO DO NOTHING, IS NOT AN OPTION", i.e. lets not build on the sites shown here because of past mistakes, made elsewhere in the city in the 60s and 70s, because we will just make the same mistakes, so lets just recreate, un-fill and build some old docks to blend in with the immediate surroundings, then all the old cotton and tobacco ships can sail back in with old sailors singing shanties. Ok i'm overdoing it a bit there, but i'm not the only one :wink2:

You can't assume that the new developments going on in L1, in what is mostly derelict and unimaginative low level warehouse buildings, will be like Concourse House. Where there is good buildings, like Heaps Mill, they are being restored/converted, and new modern buildings are being built around.

No one is filling in any old docks in L1 to build this new stuff, as there currently are not any left to fill in.

 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,298 Posts
JUXTAPOL said:
You are making a lot of assumptions that may or may not be true, but to quote someone "TO DO NOTHING, IS NOT AN OPTION", i.e. lets not build on the sites shown here because of past mistakes, made elsewhere in the city in the 60s and 70s, because we will just make the same mistakes, so lets just recreate, un-fill and build some old docks to blend in with the immediate surroundings, then all the old cotton and tobacco ships can sail back in with old sailors singing shanties. Ok i'm overdoing it a bit there, but i'm not the only one :wink2:
That sounds brilliant.

You can't assume that the new developments going on in L1, in what is mostly derelict and unimaginative low level warehouse buildings, will be like Concourse House. Where there is good buildings, like Heaps Mill, they are being restored/converted, and new modern buildings are being built around.

No one is filling in any old docks in L1 to build this new stuff, as there currently are not any left to fill in.
Kings Dock is already filled in and being built on right now. Totally disgusting.
 

·
800th birthday in 2007
Joined
·
4,198 Posts
the golden vision said:
I think the latest application for Heaps Mill, is to demolish it.

Is this a more recent application than the one described on the link below.

Plans to redevelop Heaps Mill

I can't see the planning dept allowing demolition of Heaps Mill.
 

·
800th birthday in 2007
Joined
·
4,198 Posts
the golden vision said:
Have a look at post 231 on the Baltic thread,by Doug. That application includes demolition of existing warehouse,that's the Heaps Mill site.
I think you are getting mixed up with your sites


From Post 231
The site is bounded by Hurst St, Cornhill, Shaws Alley and Tabley St.
See Map of site here

Heaps mill is between Park Lane and Pownall.
 

·
800th birthday in 2007
Joined
·
4,198 Posts
Here is a shot with a rough guess as to this area you are thinking of. Tabley st is the one that spurs off Wapping, around the new Chandlers Wharf building, seen on the top left of the red marked area.

The circled area is low level warehousing of no architectural or historic merit. Heaps mill to the far righ of shot.


The Green roofed warehouse is Pilkington's
 
1 - 20 of 1259 Posts
Top