Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Perth
1,993 Posts
Wellington street is primed now to become a second corridor like St Georges Terrace!

So much going on (for Perth standards) the video doesn't mention Cathedral tower, Crown, Riverside redevelopment or the rumored Chevron tower at the waterfront.

I hope you enjoy your trip here Fabian.

·
Watch my Chops
6,056 Posts
The changing face and the changing arse.

Reactions: thewallpart6

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is a wrap up of what is happening:

Elizabeth Quay
Perth

July 1 2014.

IMG_5263
by fabianamuso1984, on Flickr

IMG_5304

IMG_5309

IMG_5305

July 3 2014

IMG_6182

Kings Square
Perth

July 1 2014

IMG_5122

IMG_4912

IMG_4938

July 4 2014

IMG_6563
by fabianamuso, on Flickr

IMG_6559

IMG_6570

City Square South
Perth

July 3 2014

IMG_6402

IMG_6394

IMG_6393

Cathedral + Treasury
Perth

June 30 2014

IMG_4427

IMG_4432

July 2 2014

IMG_5844

July 4 2014

IMG_6651

Crown
Burswood
July 3 2014

IMG_5970

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Today Perth News spent a week reporting on major projects under construction in Perth:

Perth Children's Hospital (25/8/2014):

Perth City Link (26/8/2014):

Riverside (27/8/2014)

Gateway Project (28/8/2014)

Elizabeth Quay (29/8/2014):

·
Put it in your mouth
7,109 Posts
Does Perth have its own version of the Today show or something? How comes there's a "Perth News" on it?

I've never watched it here (I hate that Karl guy, such a ****) but I don't think they have a Melbourne version.

·
Registered
12,682 Posts
They (9/today) introduced a local news element for Perth to try (goodluck) and curb the infatuation Perth has with 7, an attempt to poach viewers from Kochie and elevate 9's profile here. It seems pointless as most people would catch the headlines in the radio going to work or online anyway. Sunrise doesnt even need to try the same thing, Perth and most capital cities prefer Sunrise who have been killing Today in ratings lately. From the bits and pieces I see I think the Today crew seem too fake, just saying.

·
Registered
12,682 Posts
Those shows arent really about news anyway and i think the live news bulletins arent working for that very reason while weather and sport is as up to date as it can be in the morning basically. People are still watching Sunrise and the tabloid/entertainment fluff doesnt matter if its a couple of hours delayed. Perth gets enough live news updates through the day and evening as every state does and also ABC News 24 live across the country. I imagine people wanting real news in the morning would get it live on ABC News Breakfast apart from the Internet/radio etc. And that goes for across Australia.

·
Put it in your mouth
7,109 Posts
I was just in a YouTube-hole and found these videos. Cool to watch, but whoever produces them needs to go back to TAFE. The music in the airport video is especially ridiculous.

Perth Airport.

Perth Stadium.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Fabian said:
Nine News Perth (22/1/2015): The message is clear - build up or bust. Good news for those proposing apartment towers in the CBD and Inner City.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALCNwM-IRO0">YouTube Link</a>
For a city approaching 2 million people I've often wondered why Perth has lagged the eastern capitals so much in high-rise apartment living. Brisbane isn't really that much bigger (2.3m) but apartment towers have been going up gangbusters in the CBD and inner suburbs since the early 90s, with huge 60+ story CBD apartment towers popping up in the last 5 - 10 years. Inner suburbs like West End, Fortitude Valley and Kangaroo Point are awash with 10 - 20 story developments.

Why hasn't Perth gone down the same track? Is there something perceived as negative with apartment towers over there or is it just a delay and they'll embrace them quickly now?

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
For a city approaching 2 million people I've often wondered why Perth has lagged the eastern capitals so much in high-rise apartment living. Brisbane isn't really that much bigger (2.3m) but apartment towers have been going up gangbusters in the CBD and inner suburbs since the early 90s, with huge 60+ story CBD apartment towers popping up in the last 5 - 10 years. Inner suburbs like West End, Fortitude Valley and Kangaroo Point are awash with 10 - 20 story developments.

Why hasn't Perth gone down the same track? Is there something perceived as negative with apartment towers over there or is it just a delay and they'll embrace them quickly now?
Two things. Perth's inner city doesn't really have the same... um .. vibe as other capitals. It's essentially a business hub with some shopping. It's not a destination/lifestyle CBD like other capitals. In saying that it is getting better, more to do and more weekend life. That's the key, weekend life. As you know Brisbane, Melbourne and to a lesser extent Sydney have very busy CBD's during their off times. I'm talking about bars, clubs, restaurants, galleries etc etc. This is something relatively new to Perth CBD. Hence the draw to live IN the CBD is not as strong as other capitals.

Secondly Perth has a lot of room to expand, say compared to Brisbane which is hemmed in by mountains and the bay. One can still live in a single detached house and be close to Perth's main attractions, the beaches. It also lacks the stringent character regulations you find in many inner Brisbane suburbs that prevent houses from being demolished. In Brisbane there is a much higher demand for highrise development in the few suburban areas that allow it, or any development for that matter.

I do think Perth is yet to experience an Apartment boom like other cities and will do so once more is added to the CBD. I think the Elizabeth Wharf development will be a major catalyst in changing their mindset as far as inner city living goes.

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In the 1980's, Sydney began building highrise apartment towers in the CBD and Inner City to respond to the notion that it was a business centre and that city life would be enhanced by a resident population.

Back then, Sydney for instance still did not have Sunday trading. Darling Harbour was not yet built but the council wanted people residing in the city. Cultural life was not as strong.

Perth should have encouraged it years ago in the CBD and Inner City to create that balance. The mining boom has forced planners to rethink city planning because of the influx of people west. They need homes and apartments can help meet it.

·
Registered
502 Posts
^ bars, clubs, and restaurants are new to Perth CBD? Ok JayT, ok. Not the sharpest tool in the shed lol.
He's actually quite right. The CBD (not Northbridge) has been low in any form of nightlife for decades, with that only changing just recently. Add in a city council opposed to any form of life ( The Nattrass 'Get the f uck out of my city' campaign), the lack of any student population in the city, the lack of space constraints and planning controls that discouraged development and you end up with no apartments.

·
perthistan
7,147 Posts
^ he used the term 'inner city' firstly, and it was in refernece to why Perth has less apartments than the eastern capitals.

But even in terms of the CBD, I dont know how old everyone else is here, so we all have different notions of 'new'. But I am in my early 30's and used to love clubbing and hitting bars in the cbd (and northbridge obviously) since I was 16.
I was into hip-hop and the CBD had the best hip-hop club.

JayT was right on the money when it came to the abundance of space Perth has left, this is and will continue to be the biggest enemy of density for decades to come.
Especially with the abundance of white-sand beach real estate.
Perth will continue to get both denser and non-denser at the same time.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts