Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
perthistan
7,192 Posts
^ he used the term 'inner city' firstly, and it was in refernece to why Perth has less apartments than the eastern capitals.

But even in terms of the CBD, I dont know how old everyone else is here, so we all have different notions of 'new'. But I am in my early 30's and used to love clubbing and hitting bars in the cbd (and northbridge obviously) since I was 16.
I was into hip-hop and the CBD had the best hip-hop club.

JayT was right on the money when it came to the abundance of space Perth has left, this is and will continue to be the biggest enemy of density for decades to come.
Especially with the abundance of white-sand beach real estate.
Perth will continue to get both denser and non-denser at the same time.

·
perthistan
7,192 Posts
Anyone know what happened to my 'Perth BUST rundown' thread?
It was a very comprehensive rundown and took me a long time to put together,
damn shame if someone decided to delete it.

·
perthistan
7,192 Posts
Sorry I have to agree with JayT. The Perth CBD is dead outside office hours, especially on weekends. I recall wondering if I was in the right place there one weekend. By contrast the eastern capitals' CBDs are jumping with shopping and day trippers on weekends. Not so much Sydney, but particularly Brisbane and Melbourne. Sydney CBD is still bustling with overseas and interstate tourists though. The Perth CBD resembles a ghost town. It's not a criticism, just how it's evolved so far. I tend to think things will start to change over the next decade though.
Perth has a long way to go compared to Sydney and Melbourne.
But to say you were in the CBD on a weekend and it was dead - well I will publicly go on record and say that you are liar, and Im guessing most Perth forumers will assume the same of you.
I also know a couple of bar owners in the CBD who definitely do not get to shut up shop and go home on the weekend.

Not only is it NOT dead on weekends, but you have to line up at a lot of joints just to get in.
Last time I was at the twilight hawkers markets I had to line up for 25mins just to get some Argentinian bbq ribs, the place was packed.

The only thing you are correct about is there is that the shopping scene at night is dead.

I am from the UK and actually find some of the ridiculous inter-city claims on here quite quaint, but as I regard myself as an Aussie now - also kinda cringeworthy.

Perth has reached 2mil now and I guess they all just stay home and watch TV on the weekend.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts