Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This report was screened on Seven News in Perth back on April 16 relating to construction in the Perth CBD.

I'll be in Perth in a few weeks to see it for myself. :)

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is a wrap up of what is happening:

Elizabeth Quay
Perth

July 1 2014.

IMG_5263
by fabianamuso1984, on Flickr

IMG_5304

IMG_5309

IMG_5305

July 3 2014

IMG_6182

Kings Square
Perth

July 1 2014

IMG_5122

IMG_4912

IMG_4938

July 4 2014

IMG_6563
by fabianamuso, on Flickr

IMG_6559

IMG_6570

City Square South
Perth

July 3 2014

IMG_6402

IMG_6394

IMG_6393

Cathedral + Treasury
Perth

June 30 2014

IMG_4427

IMG_4432

July 2 2014

IMG_5844

July 4 2014

IMG_6651

Crown
Burswood
July 3 2014

IMG_5970

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Today Perth News spent a week reporting on major projects under construction in Perth:

Perth Children's Hospital (25/8/2014):

Perth City Link (26/8/2014):

Riverside (27/8/2014)

Gateway Project (28/8/2014)

Elizabeth Quay (29/8/2014):

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also it is to provide fresh and live news as well. The news is already two hours old by the time it screens on Today and is passed off as "live".

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Talking about TV coverage, Today Tonight back in June (16th) reported on Elizabeth Quay.

Yes, Adelaide and Perth still have Today Tonight.

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nine News Perth (22/1/2015): The message is clear - build up or bust. Good news for those proposing apartment towers in the CBD and Inner City.

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In the 1980's, Sydney began building highrise apartment towers in the CBD and Inner City to respond to the notion that it was a business centre and that city life would be enhanced by a resident population.

Back then, Sydney for instance still did not have Sunday trading. Darling Harbour was not yet built but the council wanted people residing in the city. Cultural life was not as strong.

Perth should have encouraged it years ago in the CBD and Inner City to create that balance. The mining boom has forced planners to rethink city planning because of the influx of people west. They need homes and apartments can help meet it.

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Sorry I have to agree with JayT. The Perth CBD is dead outside office hours, especially on weekends. I recall wondering if I was in the right place there one weekend. By contrast the eastern capitals' CBDs are jumping with shopping and day trippers on weekends. Not so much Sydney, but particularly Brisbane and Melbourne. Sydney CBD is still bustling with overseas and interstate tourists though. The Perth CBD resembles a ghost town. It's not a criticism, just how it's evolved so far. I tend to think things will start to change over the next decade though.
East Perth is even worse in terms of street life and that happens to be where the bulk of hotels are in Perth. Very few places to get a decent feed at night for instance.

But I do see alot of potential for East Perth to be a the CBD's residential hub and there are empty sites that could be developed straight away.

I cannot give any comment on Perth's CBD on weekends as I did not get the chance to see it at that time of week last year.

As I have pointed out in one Perth thread, the bulk of people are usually on the streets between 12pm and 2pm when people have their lunch breaks in central Perth.

With Kings Square and Elizabeth Quay under construction, it is going to do alot of good in terms of connecting parts of the city and inner city e.g. improved access to the Swan River at Elizabeth Quay plus easier access to Northbridge through Kings Square.

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I was talking about the shopping scene during the DAY. I'm sure it's even worse at night!

Forget Sydney and Melbourne, try walking down the Queen St Mall in central Brisbane on a Saturday or Sunday morning, and you might get some perspective.

I'm actually surprised Perth CBD shopping is so dead because the suburban shopping centres are tiny over thete too. I believe there's a government limit on the size of them. Perth doesn't have a single shopping centre in the top 10 in Australia - even Adelaide has one. Brisbane has 3 with the rest in Sydney and Melbourne.
The West Australian (14/11/2014): Report on shopping centre expansions in Perth. Take note that since 2010, there has been no restrictions on the size/floor area of shopping centres.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/25436543/perth-shopping-centres-grow/

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Interesting they've removed the size restrictions. Surprised they haven't built a big one yet then.
The past five years have been big for retailing in Perth. Also they have relaxed trading hours and in 2012 allowed major retailers to trade on Sundays.

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
All major shopping centres are undergoing expansion. Not too sure that is a good thing or not though.
Nine News Perth (30/1/2015): 30 shopping centres in Perth are undergoing expansion,with works totaling $2 billion.

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Nine News Perth (19/4/2015): The Minor Hotel Group will build two hotel towers of up to 15 levels each. One will be 4 1/2 star and the other tower will contain serviced apartments. This will form part of the Kings Square development.

There is also an overview of other hotel developments in Perth including Crown, Ritz Carlton (Elizabeth Quay) and the Treasury Building.

Not concerned either about the economic slump but tourism will keep them occupied.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts