Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Fabian said:
Nine News Perth (22/1/2015): The message is clear - build up or bust. Good news for those proposing apartment towers in the CBD and Inner City.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALCNwM-IRO0">YouTube Link</a>
For a city approaching 2 million people I've often wondered why Perth has lagged the eastern capitals so much in high-rise apartment living. Brisbane isn't really that much bigger (2.3m) but apartment towers have been going up gangbusters in the CBD and inner suburbs since the early 90s, with huge 60+ story CBD apartment towers popping up in the last 5 - 10 years. Inner suburbs like West End, Fortitude Valley and Kangaroo Point are awash with 10 - 20 story developments.

Why hasn't Perth gone down the same track? Is there something perceived as negative with apartment towers over there or is it just a delay and they'll embrace them quickly now?

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
PD said:
^ bars, clubs, and restaurants are new to Perth CBD?
Ok JayT, ok.

Not the sharpest tool in the shed lol.
Sorry I have to agree with JayT. The Perth CBD is dead outside office hours, especially on weekends. I recall wondering if I was in the right place there one weekend. By contrast the eastern capitals' CBDs are jumping with shopping and day trippers on weekends. Not so much Sydney, but particularly Brisbane and Melbourne. Sydney CBD is still bustling with overseas and interstate tourists though. The Perth CBD resembles a ghost town. It's not a criticism, just how it's evolved so far. I tend to think things will start to change over the next decade though.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
PD said:
Perth has a long way to go compared to Sydney and Melbourne.
But to say you were in the CBD on a weekend and it was dead - well I will publicly go on record and say that you are liar, and Im guessing most Perth forumers will assume the same of you.
I also know a couple of bar owners in the CBD who definitely do not get to shut up shop and go home on the weekend.

Not only is it NOT dead on weekends, but you have to line up at a lot of joints just to get in.
Last time I was at the twilight hawkers markets I had to line up for 25mins just to get some Argentinian bbq ribs, the place was packed.

The only thing you are correct about is there is that the shopping scene at night is dead.

I am from the UK and actually find some of the ridiculous inter-city claims on here quite quaint, but as I regard myself as an Aussie now - also kinda cringeworthy.

Perth has reached 2mil now and I guess they all just stay home and watch TV on the weekend.
I was talking about the shopping scene during the DAY. I'm sure it's even worse at night!

Forget Sydney and Melbourne, try walking down the Queen St Mall in central Brisbane on a Saturday or Sunday morning, and you might get some perspective.

I'm actually surprised Perth CBD shopping is so dead because the suburban shopping centres are tiny over thete too. I believe there's a government limit on the size of them. Perth doesn't have a single shopping centre in the top 10 in Australia - even Adelaide has one. Brisbane has 3 with the rest in Sydney and Melbourne.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Mornnb said:
No, you're going to the wrong places.... Sydney CBD South of King Street is as busy on the weekend as it is on a weekday. You stay too close to Circular Quay, which is where the banks and corporates prefer to be.
In Sydney on the weekend the finance dominated North CBD is abandoned but the South CBD, Pitt Street Mall and Chinatown are crowded with shoppers and day trippers.
No I agree. Pitt St and Chinatown are jumping on weekends and the north CBD is a little dead. I used to live in Sydney in the late 90s. Sydney and Melbourne weekend activity starts a little later in the morning than Brisbane, and goes a little later.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts