Skyscraper City Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
PD said:
^ bars, clubs, and restaurants are new to Perth CBD?
Ok JayT, ok.

Not the sharpest tool in the shed lol.
Sorry I have to agree with JayT. The Perth CBD is dead outside office hours, especially on weekends. I recall wondering if I was in the right place there one weekend. By contrast the eastern capitals' CBDs are jumping with shopping and day trippers on weekends. Not so much Sydney, but particularly Brisbane and Melbourne. Sydney CBD is still bustling with overseas and interstate tourists though. The Perth CBD resembles a ghost town. It's not a criticism, just how it's evolved so far. I tend to think things will start to change over the next decade though.

·
perthistan
7,144 Posts
Sorry I have to agree with JayT. The Perth CBD is dead outside office hours, especially on weekends. I recall wondering if I was in the right place there one weekend. By contrast the eastern capitals' CBDs are jumping with shopping and day trippers on weekends. Not so much Sydney, but particularly Brisbane and Melbourne. Sydney CBD is still bustling with overseas and interstate tourists though. The Perth CBD resembles a ghost town. It's not a criticism, just how it's evolved so far. I tend to think things will start to change over the next decade though.
Perth has a long way to go compared to Sydney and Melbourne.
But to say you were in the CBD on a weekend and it was dead - well I will publicly go on record and say that you are liar, and Im guessing most Perth forumers will assume the same of you.
I also know a couple of bar owners in the CBD who definitely do not get to shut up shop and go home on the weekend.

Not only is it NOT dead on weekends, but you have to line up at a lot of joints just to get in.
Last time I was at the twilight hawkers markets I had to line up for 25mins just to get some Argentinian bbq ribs, the place was packed.

The only thing you are correct about is there is that the shopping scene at night is dead.

I am from the UK and actually find some of the ridiculous inter-city claims on here quite quaint, but as I regard myself as an Aussie now - also kinda cringeworthy.

Perth has reached 2mil now and I guess they all just stay home and watch TV on the weekend.

·
Premium Member
Mercedes-Benz OC 500 LE
6,559 Posts
It depends where you go and if you know where to go to find action. St Georges Tce and Murray St are pretty mercurial. There are some random weekdays where it has a bit going on and others where it's dead.

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
East Perth is even worse in terms of street life and that happens to be where the bulk of hotels are in Perth. Very few places to get a decent feed at night for instance.

But I do see alot of potential for East Perth to be a the CBD's residential hub and there are empty sites that could be developed straight away.

I cannot give any comment on Perth's CBD on weekends as I did not get the chance to see it at that time of week last year.

As I have pointed out in one Perth thread, the bulk of people are usually on the streets between 12pm and 2pm when people have their lunch breaks in central Perth.

With Kings Square and Elizabeth Quay under construction, it is going to do alot of good in terms of connecting parts of the city and inner city e.g. improved access to the Swan River at Elizabeth Quay plus easier access to Northbridge through Kings Square.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
PD said:
Perth has a long way to go compared to Sydney and Melbourne.
But to say you were in the CBD on a weekend and it was dead - well I will publicly go on record and say that you are liar, and Im guessing most Perth forumers will assume the same of you.
I also know a couple of bar owners in the CBD who definitely do not get to shut up shop and go home on the weekend.

Not only is it NOT dead on weekends, but you have to line up at a lot of joints just to get in.
Last time I was at the twilight hawkers markets I had to line up for 25mins just to get some Argentinian bbq ribs, the place was packed.

The only thing you are correct about is there is that the shopping scene at night is dead.

I am from the UK and actually find some of the ridiculous inter-city claims on here quite quaint, but as I regard myself as an Aussie now - also kinda cringeworthy.

Perth has reached 2mil now and I guess they all just stay home and watch TV on the weekend.
I was talking about the shopping scene during the DAY. I'm sure it's even worse at night!

Forget Sydney and Melbourne, try walking down the Queen St Mall in central Brisbane on a Saturday or Sunday morning, and you might get some perspective.

I'm actually surprised Perth CBD shopping is so dead because the suburban shopping centres are tiny over thete too. I believe there's a government limit on the size of them. Perth doesn't have a single shopping centre in the top 10 in Australia - even Adelaide has one. Brisbane has 3 with the rest in Sydney and Melbourne.

·
®
6,022 Posts

·
Watch my Chops
6,055 Posts
Perth perhaps more than any city embraced car orientated planning. It sits on a large, flat plain and the hinterland is set well back from the coast (25-30km). It's also cheaper to build detached dwellings because the amount you spend in the ground is minimal for most of Perth.

The local government reforms that took place in the 90's didn't help, they essentially ingrained barriers to development that 15-25 years later are only just getting torn down. Remember Claisebrooke was developed in the 90's and that was considered novel.

·
Watch my Chops
6,055 Posts
To be honest i found Sydney to be quieter than i expected the first couple of times i went there, because i had no idea where to go.

Perth really needs a tram network covering the inner areas, because there are so many places that take too long to get to via existing PT options.

·
Premium Member
Mercedes-Benz OC 500 LE
6,559 Posts
Perth perhaps more than any city embraced car orientated planning. It sits on a large, flat plain and the hinterland is set well back from the coast (25-30km). It's also cheaper to build detached dwellings because the amount you spend in the ground is minimal for most of Perth.
Before they built highways and freeways everywhere, there was a bit of action in the city.

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I was talking about the shopping scene during the DAY. I'm sure it's even worse at night!

Forget Sydney and Melbourne, try walking down the Queen St Mall in central Brisbane on a Saturday or Sunday morning, and you might get some perspective.

I'm actually surprised Perth CBD shopping is so dead because the suburban shopping centres are tiny over thete too. I believe there's a government limit on the size of them. Perth doesn't have a single shopping centre in the top 10 in Australia - even Adelaide has one. Brisbane has 3 with the rest in Sydney and Melbourne.
The West Australian (14/11/2014): Report on shopping centre expansions in Perth. Take note that since 2010, there has been no restrictions on the size/floor area of shopping centres.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/25436543/perth-shopping-centres-grow/

·
Registered
7,735 Posts
Sorry I have to agree with JayT. The Perth CBD is dead outside office hours, especially on weekends. I recall wondering if I was in the right place there one weekend. By contrast the eastern capitals' CBDs are jumping with shopping and day trippers on weekends. Not so much Sydney, but particularly Brisbane and Melbourne. Sydney CBD is still bustling with overseas and interstate tourists though.
No, you're going to the wrong places.... Sydney CBD South of King Street is as busy on the weekend as it is on a weekday. You stay too close to Circular Quay, which is where the banks and corporates prefer to be.
In Sydney on the weekend the finance dominated North CBD is abandoned but the South CBD, Pitt Street Mall and Chinatown are crowded with shoppers and day trippers.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Mornnb said:
No, you're going to the wrong places.... Sydney CBD South of King Street is as busy on the weekend as it is on a weekday. You stay too close to Circular Quay, which is where the banks and corporates prefer to be.
In Sydney on the weekend the finance dominated North CBD is abandoned but the South CBD, Pitt Street Mall and Chinatown are crowded with shoppers and day trippers.
No I agree. Pitt St and Chinatown are jumping on weekends and the north CBD is a little dead. I used to live in Sydney in the late 90s. Sydney and Melbourne weekend activity starts a little later in the morning than Brisbane, and goes a little later.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
It's taken that long to get everything sorted out for expansions.

Remember that the size restrictions resulted in Perth having a larger number of smaller centres so there isn't actually a huge deficiency in retail floorspace, its just spread more widely.

·
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Interesting they've removed the size restrictions. Surprised they haven't built a big one yet then.
The past five years have been big for retailing in Perth. Also they have relaxed trading hours and in 2012 allowed major retailers to trade on Sundays.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts