Skyscraper City Forum banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Surprised that Perth has 2mil now. Had to double check but fair enough, that must have happened while I was sleeping because I still thought of it around 1.5.
Oh look who has time to focus on any other city when your from SYDNEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYY!

MY CITY OF SYDNEEEEEEEEEEEEY!!!

Reactions: Citystyle

·
16,576 Posts
Two things. Perth's inner city doesn't really have the same... um .. vibe as other capitals. It's essentially a business hub with some shopping. It's not a destination/lifestyle CBD like other capitals. In saying that it is getting better, more to do and more weekend life. That's the key, weekend life. As you know Brisbane, Melbourne and to a lesser extent Sydney have very busy CBD's during their off times. I'm talking about bars, clubs, restaurants, galleries etc etc. This is something relatively new to Perth CBD. Hence the draw to live IN the CBD is not as strong as other capitals.

Secondly Perth has a lot of room to expand, say compared to Brisbane which is hemmed in by mountains and the bay. One can still live in a single detached house and be close to Perth's main attractions, the beaches. It also lacks the stringent character regulations you find in many inner Brisbane suburbs that prevent houses from being demolished. In Brisbane there is a much higher demand for highrise development in the few suburban areas that allow it, or any development for that matter.

I do think Perth is yet to experience an Apartment boom like other cities and will do so once more is added to the CBD. I think the Elizabeth Wharf development will be a major catalyst in changing their mindset as far as inner city living goes.
Perth City did not embrace the multi-function polis model that other Australian cities did until very late. That said, I can tell you've never been to Perth. The suburbs that cover inner Perth are very much destinations in their own right and are often packed on weekends and evenings nowadays. The Perth retail scene is still lacking and space for majors is holding us back.

I challenge you to actually visit Perth and meet up with a few locals who can show you the ropes. You'll change your opinion, just as I did with Brisbane.

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Nine News Perth (19/4/2015): The Minor Hotel Group will build two hotel towers of up to 15 levels each. One will be 4 1/2 star and the other tower will contain serviced apartments. This will form part of the Kings Square development.

There is also an overview of other hotel developments in Perth including Crown, Ritz Carlton (Elizabeth Quay) and the Treasury Building.

Not concerned either about the economic slump but tourism will keep them occupied.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts