SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
77,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Manhattan Apartments / Building .... 628 Church Street .... Toronto, Ontario by Greg's Southern Ontario (catching Up Slowly), on Flickr

This lovely old 1909 apartment building, and the old house beside it are part of a new condo project.

Another rendering:

The Charles at Church Condos | Floor Plans, Prices, Availability ...726 × 1030https://www.talkcondo.com/toronto/the-charles-at-church-condos/

I admit I was very sad to see it slated for this project, but I suppose it is some consolation that they have to save the actual old buildings. Rode my bike past it today:

Attachments

·
35,121 Posts
Church Street will end up being 20-80 floor buildings from Bloor to Front Street.

·
35,121 Posts
It was underdeveloped, but I hope it does not go too far.
People will likely grow accustomed to far higher densities than previous generations. There are limits, of course, and impossible to say what 'too much' looks like. What's too much for one person might be too little for another.

My concern is more about the City's response, thus far, with adding green space in the downtown core. They talk about it a lot but then approve buildings on the few 'empty' lots we have left. We're rapidly running out of options.

The City could add 6 football fields in the core tomorrow and everyone of them would immediately be full all day, every day. It says a lot that 30+ sports teams from the village alone travel 3-8km away just to find a place to practice/play. The park deficit is already substantial and getting bigger each year.

The last chance for a sizeable green space for the Church/Wellesley neighbourhood is that parking lot directly south of Wellesley subway station. The whole thing + the buildings immediately to its east (maybe the buildings lining Yonge too) should be set aside for a sports field or grass. All of it. But I doubt the City will put come through.

·
Administrator
77,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not opposed to higher densities, but they overdid it on Edward Street between Church and Yonge Street... and completely butchered what had been a lovely Victorian/
Edwardian residential street up until that time.

·
35,121 Posts
Do you mean Edward between Yonge and University? Edward doesn't extend to Church Street.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts