Ak Bugday (White Wheat) Museum

Ashgabat Ministry

Ashgabat Central Bank

Parliament

Arch of Neutrality

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
This is the most totalitarian state in central Asia. As you can see on the pictures, the images and statues of their leader are everywhere. Nothing has really changed since communism. They just replaced one cult (Lenin) with another one (their preisident Saparmurat Niyazov). They have no democratic traditions.

I wish there were some pictures depicting the life of ordinary Turkmen. All these monumental buildings are built by the government with natural gas dollars and are so typical for any authoritarian regime. I don't see any private initiative endeavours and entrapraneurship around.

It's actually a shame that funds coming from their natural resources are being so heavily misused.

Sad! Very sad!!! The curse of easy money.

·
College Student
291 Posts
new bulgaria said:
This is the most totalitarian state in central Asia. As you can see on the pictures, the images and statues of their leader are everywhere. Nothing has really changed since communism. They just replaced one cult (Lenin) with another one (their preisident Saparmurat Niyazov). They have no democratic traditions.

I wish there were some pictures depicting the life of ordinary Turkmen. All these monumental buildings are built by the government with natural gas dollars and are so typical for any authoritarian regime. I don't see any private initiative endeavours and entrapraneurship around.

It's actually a shame that funds coming from their natural resources are being so heavily misused.

Sad! Very sad!!! The curse of easy money.
Yea the government probably uses the money to make the city look nice and impress the west. I wonder how life outside the city is.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Enjoy this synopsis about the "glorious" state:

The former Soviet leader, Saparmurat Niyazov, remains in power to this day. His policies have changed greatly since Soviet times: He is friendly to foreign corporations, he has rather tense relations with Moscow and he styles himself a promoter of traditional, Muslim, Turkmen culture. One thing that has not changed, however, is the extent of his power which seems to have been greatly enhanced since the early 1990s.

Today, Niyazov is one of the world's most brutal and authoritarian dictators. He calls himself "Turkmenbashi," a title which means "leader of all ethnic Turkmen" in a similar style to Mustafa Kemal Atatürk. He has become notorious in the Western world for his cult of personality and the repressive measures he takes to crush political dissent. Although Turkmenistan has lots of natural resources, for which the country's economy could potentially benefit, all of the revenue that comes from foreign investment of these resources is wasted by Niyazov for grandiose schemes such as erecting solid gold statues of himself in the country's capital. Presently, 60% of the population is unemployed while 58% lives below the poverty line.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
New Bulgaria, it's very difficult to collect as much photos of this city. Not as much recent pictures taken and uploaded on the NET to post. If I come into contact with photos of people on the streets of Ashgabat, I'll post it. :eek:kay:

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
StormShadow said:
New Bulgaria, it's very difficult to collect as much photos of this city. Not as much recent pictures taken and uploaded on the NET to post. If I come into contact with photos of people on the streets of Ashgabat, I'll post it. :eek:kay:
Super. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 92 Posts