Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Over 37% of the city's population is 24 or under :)

ATTN: Feature Editors

Recently named 'European City of the Future', Birmingham, UK, with the youngest population in Europe, is having to creatively manage how it prepares its real estate to meet future needs.

Without losing the heritage of the city, the red brick Victorian buildings or the Georgian town houses; Birmingham is carefully mixing old with new. Iconic buildings such as the new Selfridges have received international acclaim and the development of 1960s urban boxes into high end, destination mixed use schemes, such as Mailbox have set an unrivalled trend.

From commercial property, retail, leisure, tourism to residential, the City is now actively looking to attract national and international developers as well as investors to Birmingham. At the World's largest property exhibition, MIPIM, taking place in France (14th-17th March 2006), Birmingham will be showcasing itself on the world stage and highlighting the opportunities available.

Keen to regenerate, expand and grow, the UK's 'second city' is leading Europe in its bold approach to planning and regeneration.

- Birmingham is the second largest city in the UK with a population of close to one million;

- The city is the regional capital of the West Midlands, which has a population of 5.3 million, a large, flexible and motivated workforce of nearly 2.5 million, and a client base of 182,000 companies;

- Renowned for its strong manufacturing base, Birmingham boasts a rapidly expanding financial and services sector, has become a fast-growing centre for hi-tech industry, and is one of Europe's foremost conference and event destinations;

- Birmingham is a cosmopolitan regional capital with 98% of the UK market - customers and businesses within a four hour drive time;

- With 17,000 graduates every year from Birmingham's three universities and a labour force of some 1.5 million people in the immediate urban area, Birmingham is a fast moving, growing and highly recognised city, a shining example;

- The city also enjoys a strategic position, being at the hub of the UK's road and rail network, with excellent worldwide air connections;

·
Registered
818 Posts
Birmingham's nice in the centre- I was impressed when I walked around one evening recently. There were more impressive old buildings than I had expected and the centre had improved since my last visit in September 2004. However, there are some hideous 1960s highrise blocks of flats dotted around the outskirts, hopefully most of these will be demolished in the not-too distant future.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Liam-Manchester said:
Birmingham's nice in the centre- I was impressed when I walked around one evening recently. There were more impressive old buildings than I had expected and the centre had improved since my last visit in September 2004. However, there are some hideous 1960s highrise blocks of flats dotted around the outskirts, hopefully most of these will be demolished in the not-too distant future.
Lets hope so, there are far to many think over 200 are to be destroyed across the westmidlands before 2010 or something around that :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts