Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kasabian turn up volume for World Cup bid

Rockers Kasabian are backing the bid to bring the World Cup to Leicester.
If England stages the 2018 World Cup, four weeks of football mania will sweep the country – and Leicester could be right in the middle of it.
Public support in Leicester and the other cities vying to host games will be a crucial factor in helping the FA decide which venues will form part of its bid to FIFA.
Kasabian guitarist and staunch Leicester City fan Serge Pizzorno, who dreamed of playing for the club when he was younger, today urged everyone to back the bid and bring a game to Leicester.
He said “We’re really excited about Leicester bidding to become a host city. The opportunity for England to host a World Cup is really amazing and the thought of games being played at the Walkers Stadium is incredible.

“Everyone in England loves football and the tournament would create a huge wave of passion throughout the country.”
If Leicester is chosen as a host city, It would be a massive boost for the city’s economy as fans spend thousands of pounds into bars, restaurants and hotels.
Bringing a World Cup fixture to the Walkers would also attract investment in Leicester from businesses keen to be associated with the tournament.
If Leicester is chosen, at least one World Cup game could be played at the Walkers Stadium, festivals for fans could be set up across the city for visiting supporters and huge television screens placed in parks for fans without tickets. Last week, FA inspection teams paid the first of two visits to Leicester as they begin to assess all the cities which have registered their interest in becoming a World Cup venue.
Up-and-coming singer Jersey Budd, who is getting ready to play the Summer Sundae Fringe Festival next month, is urging people to get behind Leicester’s bid.
The Countesthorpe singer said: “If it came to Leicester it would be unbelievable, magical.
“Imagine getting the best players in the world to Leicester. Kaka bringing the Brazilian team to the Walkers stadium. I’m a big City fan and it would be amazing.
“The more people that get behind it the better – it would be great for the city.”
Leicester is one of 15 cities to have submitted outline bids to the England 2018 team to be a host city during the tournament.
The bid team has to prove the city has a good enough stadium, transport links and accommodation, and that it has a track record in staging successful events.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Nice one Rushey.

I'm thinking that even if Leicester isn't chosen as a host city, it should still try to become one big 'Fan Park'. Hold some footy events, small concerts, street parties etc. Try and encourage people to use the city as a base to get to other parts of the country to watch games - great transport links, cheap accommodation etc. Don't know how feasible it would be, but would be a shame to miss out on the action altogether if the Walkers isn't chosen to host a match.

·
High-Rise Bungalow
2,167 Posts
Any news on any city signings. ? There is a rumour that Leroy Lita is a target. Also it is good that Tunchev is getting a run out tonight at Mansfield.
Otherwise it is rather quiet.

What do people think of citys new shirt (without the a sponsers name?)

Anyway i won't be too bothered about football until the "ashes" has finished.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I like the new Leicester City Shirt. But then I like most football shirts without overt sponsorship.

The new Tigers home kit is being revealed on Friday too.

·
10,804 Posts
I've got the new Leicester shirt. The new away shirt which is being used to advertise the very worthwhile LOROS charity is quite good too. I've heard that if you buy the away shirt from a LOROS shop, then the charity gets more of the money than if it is purchased from a club outlet. Not sure if that is true?

The decision not to have a sponsor on the home shirt was made to celebrate the clubs 125th anniversary. Hopefully they will continue to not have a sponsor afterwards as well...

·
Dilly ding! Dilly dong!
3,194 Posts
I doubt that they'll stay with that design Lears. We're bound to see a sponsor on there for the 2010/11 season. If City do well, they'll have people lining up to put them on the shirt for a handsome fee, if City do bad we'll need a little extra money and probably put a carpark company on there.

Too much money in the game these days unfortunately, this year's shirt is surely a one off - so try and buy one as i'm sure they'll be quite valuable later on in life.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've also got the new home shirt. I will probably get the away shirt as well as a proportion of the proceeds go to LOROS.

I read this morning that City refused to comment on the rumours surrounding Leroy Lita. To be fair they haven't commented on any newspaper speculation during the summer. I really believe we'll get another striker before the season starts, but this may depend on our success in offloading DJ Campbell.

·
PQS
3,593 Posts
What has happened to LCCC? Theres a real chance they could finish rock bottom of the county championship. Mind you the squad is bloody awful really, when your overseas player gets dropped for not scoring enough runs, that says it all really!

·
10,804 Posts
Since winning the County Championship in 1996 and 1998, Leicestershire have been on the slide. There has been quite a bit of success in the Twenty20, with two recent final victories. We'll be back!

·
10,804 Posts
Perhaps with the potential rise of Notts County, Notts Forest spending billions of pounds on new players and Derby having a Clough in charge again - the other three East Midlands teams might merge together to provide some sort of opposition to Leicester City? It is an acknowledged fact that Leicester have by far the biggest fan base in the East Midlands...

Position..Britain’s 20 Most Popular Teams......Number of Supporters
1...........Manchester United.......................4,209,000
2...........Liverpool....................................3,133,000
3...........Arsenal......................................2,652,000
4...........Chelsea.....................................1,485,000
5...........Rangers.....................................1,430,000
6...........Celtic........................................1,406,000
7...........Tottenham.................................1,240,000
8...........Newcastle..................................1,159,000
9...........Leeds United.................................938,000
10.........Manchester City.............................886,000
11.........Aston Villa.....................................700,000
12.........West Ham.....................................691,000
13.........Everton........................................628,000
14.........Leicester City................................553,000
15.........Norwich City..................................458,000
16.........Middlesbrough................................452,000
17.........Southampton.................................429,000
18.........Hearts..........................................398,000
19.........Wolverhampton Wanderers...............384,000
20.........Sheffield Wednesday.......................371,000

Source - http://www.roymorgan.com/news/press-releases/2006/490/

The Notts/Derby merger might also provide enough cash to build a one game World Cup stadium and if all the teams play at the same time on the same day, the stadium might fill up for normal league games. Well maybe only if Mansfield and Chesterfield get involved as well...

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That doesn't suprise me as Leicester City are the biggest club within the biggest city!!!

They'd probably need the involvment of Ilkeston Town as well to fill the stadium.........

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
"These are the main findings of the latest Roy Morgan International Survey of 5,213 people aged 14 and over in the UK, conducted between September 2004 and February 2006, as part of Roy Morgan Research Single Source".

1 - 20 of 106 Posts