Skyscraper City Forum banner

Which has more importance to the overall London economy?

• the City

Votes: 32 84.2%
  • Canary Wharf

Votes: 6 15.8%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
SSLL
8,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read recently that there are more employed in the financial sector in Canary Wharf than in the City in London. What does this mean for Canary Wharf, and for the future role of the City? Will they have to redevelop into other uses, like residential? Will Canary Wharf be the new City?

·
Registered
13,915 Posts
La Defen.............

Huh? Its not CW vs LD? :D Canary Wharf for me :)
I know the city has more heritage and such but the street level atmosphere at CW is much less hostile than that of the city.

·
Registered
30,610 Posts
I'd say currently its The City, but in the future Canary Wharf will grow alot and become the hub of European finance and it will drive the economy. It hasn't quite got there yet though.

·
Banned
14,131 Posts
samsonyuen said:
I've read recently that there are more employed in the financial sector in Canary Wharf than in the City in London.
Eh? Where did you read that?

In terms of total employees, the City has over 300,000 and Canary Wharf about 60,000.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I don't think the City will give up its premier position in London and in fact i dont think it will lose it either. However, in raw numbers i am not sure what that means, but the most prestigious companies with the most flair will be in the city...

·
SSLL
8,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know where I read it, but I think in banking, it must be either equal or higher in Canary Wharf? Barclay's is moving almost all their City offices to CW, and HSBC, Citigroup, Bank of America, and Morgan Stanley too...

·
Banned
14,131 Posts
Neither. The West End is bigger than the City and Canary Wharf combined by just about every measure. The City's GDP may run it close however. Canary Wharf is impressive - acres upon acres of glossy new office space - but it's still miniscule compared to central London.

·
Waiting for 122
3,802 Posts
wjfox2002 said:
Eh? Where did you read that?

In terms of total employees, the City has over 300,000 and Canary Wharf about 60,000.
yup thats true, however the average salary for workers at CW is now higher than that of the city. Must of read that and got it confused.

I think those figures include the whole of Tower Hamlets, so that would be even more impressive. I can't see how that would work though.

·
SSLL
8,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was reading the Wharf recently, and there was some guy saying that Canary Wharf and area should have its own post code because of the stigma attached to being in E14. Something like CW or similar...

·
Banned
14,131 Posts
Monkey said:
Neither. The West End is bigger than the City and Canary Wharf combined by just about every measure. The City's GDP may run it close however. Canary Wharf is impressive - acres upon acres of glossy new office space - but it's still miniscule compared to central London.
I wonder how many people work in the West End? Depends how you define the area I suppose.

·
Registered
906 Posts
the city will always been the centre

what with the bank of England etc

Canary Wharf is full of essex types, and is generally naff and unglamourous

quantity not quality at CW

·
Do A Little Dance
1,565 Posts
maxxam80 said:
the city will always been the centre

what with the bank of England etc

Canary Wharf is full of essex types,
Snob.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Whats wrong with Sussex?! The Counties North and East of London rightly should be ridiculed...the commuter belt for the nouveau-riche ;). Old money has more discerning tastes (ie Berkshire, Surrey - we'll forget Wentworth Estates et al, Sussex and of course Hampshire!)

·
Registered
156 Posts
The City by far - Canary Wharf only exists because of it and is really only a colony...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.