Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
7,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NASA's world wind is superb. It can see all over the world now on the computer connected to Internet.

Here are all Chinese cities that are seen from 30km out space by Landsat satellite. It can clearly show airports, expressways and large road interchanges, and of course the shape and size of city built-areas.

Since I try to cover all Chinese cities, and it will be several hundreds of them, I will skip towns. I would like to show city scenes from ground too. It will be a huge work, so I will be a long time thread.

Beijing, the capital of China

·
Banned
7,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
northwest of Beijing, Shahe district

further NW of Beijing, Changping district

NE of Beijing, the airport and Shunyi district

further NW of Beijing, Huairou and Miyun district

East of Beijing, Tongzhou district

SE of Beijing, Liangxiang district

SW of Beijing Daxing district

West of Beijing, Shijingshan district

·
Registered
323 Posts
but they're too outdated

·
Banned
7,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tianjing city

east of Tianjin, b/w Tanggu

Tanggu, the habor of Tianjin

Hangu, Ninghe district

Dagang dostrict, southeast of the city

Jinghai, Wuqing, Baodi districts in Tianjin

·
Banned
7,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cities from Heilongjiang province, the most north part of China

Harbin city

Daqing city

Qiqihar city

Hehei city

Hegang city

Jiamusi city

Jixi city

Mudanjiang cuity

Qitaihe city

Tongjiang city

Zhaodong city

·
Registered
12,321 Posts
I got a huge satellite image of whole Asia, Africa, Australia and Europe, 400.7MB. The image is not taken my Landsat, but with the Modis satellites. So this is some parts of China. :)

Mid China.

Southern China

Shanghai

·
Registered
28 Posts
The Shanghai (Pudong) picture above is (c) Spaceimaging and for a picture of Shanghai, especially Pudong, just too old and outdated. The picture is roughly oriented south up.

Outdated, just examples:
The Ocean Aquarium (construction site just east - left - of the TV tower) is open for visitors since 2002.
Zhen Da Guangchang, the largest shopping mall in Asia, also opened in 2002. It is shown above in construction, located southwest (right up) of the TV tower.
In the picture just above the TV tower and the road intersection is the former Lujiazui Food Corner, demolished in 2004.
Shangri-La Hotel Phase 2 - not even begun in the photo, now nearly finished.
Aurora Tower - in the photo just the foundation done, was finished in 2003.
CITIC Tower - 没有。
The new buildings now under construction northwest of the Bank Of China Tower and the Bocom Financial Tower - in the picture just grassy areas.

I did not visit Spaceimaging's website for a long time, but the picture must be from 2000, so it's 5 years old now. For Pudong, that's very old.

·
In Love with HK & BKK
4,845 Posts
WUHAN in Hubei Province:

sorry, i have no satelite pic.

^ the foreground is obviously edited, i guess the skyline too(?)

^Downtown Park

^ Wuhan's Jiefang Avenue

^ Wuhan; Lu Bian Lake

^ old library at Wuhan University (2003)

^ bell at the Yellow Crane Tower

^ at Yangtze in 2003

^ Wuhan Bookcity

^ a pavilion at Botanical Gardens

^ view from Yellow Crane Tower

^ St Alexander Cathedral of Wuhan

^ Novotel Xin Hua in Wuhan

·
Registered
12,321 Posts
shmark said:
The Shanghai (Pudong) picture above is (c) Spaceimaging and for a picture of Shanghai, especially Pudong, just too old and outdated. The picture is roughly oriented south up.

Outdated, just examples:
The Ocean Aquarium (construction site just east - left - of the TV tower) is open for visitors since 2002.
Zhen Da Guangchang, the largest shopping mall in Asia, also opened in 2002. It is shown above in construction, located southwest (right up) of the TV tower.
In the picture just above the TV tower and the road intersection is the former Lujiazui Food Corner, demolished in 2004.
Shangri-La Hotel Phase 2 - not even begun in the photo, now nearly finished.
Aurora Tower - in the photo just the foundation done, was finished in 2003.
CITIC Tower - 没有。
The new buildings now under construction northwest of the Bank Of China Tower and the Bocom Financial Tower - in the picture just grassy areas.

I did not visit Spaceimaging's website for a long time, but the picture must be from 2000, so it's 5 years old now. For Pudong, that's very old.
The image is from 2001, but though its a bit old don't mean you need to critisize it! ;) Its still a good image.

·
中華民國
2,804 Posts
Christian said:
The image is from 2001, but though its a bit old don't mean you need to critisize it! ;) Its still a good image.
I agree that it's a good image. However, it didn't seem to me like he was critizing the picture. He was merely pointing out that the image is outdated and listed buildings that have since then started building or finished building, which I thought was very helpful :)

·
Registered
12,321 Posts
Pangu said:
I agree that it's a good image. However, it didn't seem to me like he was critizing the picture. He was merely pointing out that the image is outdated and listed buildings that have since then started building or finished building, which I thought was very helpful :)
Yesyes i totaly agree. :) My intension was not to critizise him for what he said, but he did sound a bit negative to the image, but perhaps it was just my own stupidity that received his words in a negative way. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Christian said:
Yesyes i totaly agree. :) My intension was not to critizise him for what he said, but he did sound a bit negative to the image, but perhaps it was just my own stupidity that received his words in a negative way. :)
Maybe i was too harsh...
My intention was just to point out: The picture is outdated. A fast developing area like Pudong can change the entire skyline in less than 1 year.
As a picture the image is OK, but for documentation or information it has just some historical value.

Some Pudong pics to see why:

2003-09-06
Lujiazui Food Corner (taken from TV tower)

2004-09-18
Lujiazui Food Corner - demolished (taken from TV tower)

2004-09-25
Aurora Tower, behind Aurora the CITIC Tower and some residantial buildings under construction - none in the Satellite image above

2005-01-10
Left to right:
Pearl of the Orient TV Tower, Bank of China Tower, Bocom Financial Tower (all 3 in the image), the rightmost building is a new skyscraper, not in the image.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts