Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Яandwicked
691 Posts
OK! I hate corporate branding on public transport systems. May as well call it McTrain. What was wrong with Metlink??
;)

·
Banned
234 Posts
Yesterday I went down to Melbounre Central station at about 7:30pm and I had to wait 45 minutes for a Pakenham train :bash: :bash:

up yours Connex

·
Registered
984 Posts
Yesterday I went down to Melbounre Central station at about 7:30pm and I had to wait 45 minutes for a Pakenham train :bash: :bash:
Meh. Don't worry about it. Soon, we'll have freeways everywhere for you to drive on. Wide free flowing freeways. Who needs public transport anyway? :)

·
Premium Member
9,601 Posts
I was in Melbourne last year and couldn't believe how dirty and also over priced the trains were. When I saw the Connex logo I suddenly understood what was going on. I lived in London for a while where connex is hated for the parts of the National Rail that it runs.

Thank God CityTrain in Brisbane is run by QR (government owned).

How could they have let a notorious company like connex anywhere near the Met?

·
Lord Melbourne
4,255 Posts
Yes, well connex is a french company, they seem to make money everywhere else in the world, melbourne is their largest network, and they loose a lot of money here.

I'm glad I don't have to catch train every day anymore.

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Never Trust Connex. They used to operate bus services in southern Sydney until Veolia took over the services last year.

Very unreliable services. Always 10-15 minutes late (even in off peak) with the odd cancellation usually in peak times. I remember waiting for buses at Miranda and I would see the bus empty with the driver no where to be seen when the bus was scheduled to depart.

They also ran the monorail and light rail network in Sydney too, now managed by Metro Transport. I remember there were maintainence problems with the monorails and some of them broke down regularly, stranding people above the city streets for hours.

My experience with Connex rail services in Melbourne has been more positive. Well priced (maybe because i'm accustomed to higher prices in Sydney).

I have been hearing of problems with overcrowding, which reminds me of the woes seen in Sydney.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL2drgBs0x8

And I found this one too at a city station

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4yWNpY7rxM&mode=related&search=

·
derp
10,274 Posts
Never Trust Connex. They used to operate bus services in southern Sydney until Veolia took over the services last year.
Veolia is Connex, just re-badged. I believe they renamed themselves to get away from the stigma of their failed operations in Britain - Melbourne is the only operation to have kept the 'Connex' name probably because it is so well-known there and they have already had enough name changes...

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Veolia is Connex, just re-badged. I believe they renamed themselves to get away from the stigma of their failed operations in Britain - Melbourne is the only operation to have kept the 'Connex' name probably because it is so well-known there and they have already had enough name changes...
Thats like keeping Grace Bros stores in NSW as Grace Bros instead of them being known as Myer.

I thought Veolia was another company..oh well. Connex still have the bus arm in Sydney then. Their services have been expanded over the past year as they now operate services formerly operated by Transit First in the Bankstown area, though some of their buses have to repainted.

At least they have improved bus services in Sydney after a major shakeup of timetables. Many of the buses are now within 5 minutes of their scheduled time, and on a bad day, 10 minutes late at the most.

·
Lurker
3,805 Posts
The Met was way inferior to Connex.

Go back to the 90s and you'll see what I'm talking about: snap strikes, atrocious reliability and punctuality, need I go on?
But they were government owned and therefore they must be better!

Yesterday's Stateline had a good report about the train network. The minister was quoted as saying that ownership is an ideological matter and what's more important is the planning of the network and how it integrates with other modes and fixing bottlenecks in the system (Clifton Hill, Sunshine and Dandenong lines). I just wish that they'd fix them a bit more quickly.

·
̙͈̩ͫ̎Ż̌ͫ&
3,549 Posts
South Morang (not Mernda) by 2021. :lol:

Doncaster, Rowville, Sunbury and Melton by...?

Arrogance of the highest order.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Was at the meeting last Thursday where the topic was about kicking Connex and Yarra trams out by stopping the government renewing their contracts. One point the was raised, our train and tram system handled more people in the eighties than now, even in 1928 the system handled more passengers. Connex alone makes a profit of about $70 million last year, even after the penalties. Also the government spends more money on public transport than roads but it goes to the coffers of connex and yarra trams. Little money on maintainence. The incident at Oakleigh was a clear example of poor maintainence and management from connex. The third line at oakleigh could have been used to divert the trains around the incident but due to lack of maintainence this was not possible.

·
Lurker
3,805 Posts
The incident at Oakleigh was a clear example of poor maintainence and management from connex. The third line at oakleigh could have been used to divert the trains around the incident but due to lack of maintainence this was not possible.
What the hell? The points at Oakleigh where the derailment occurred were only replaced about a week before the incident (and anyone who travels past semi-regularly would have noticed, since the partially-assembled track was sitting beside the line for weeks before).

Platform 3 is also fully operational. A few months ago, someone jumped in front of a train at Huntingdale, meaning that all trains had to be terminated at Oakleigh and Platform 3 was in use. What is more likely during the derailment is that the derailed train could have been blocking the other track, or the junction (it did occur on the points after all) or that the space might have been needed to lift the train back up onto the rails.

On the other hand, the rails in the sidings behind the station are in bad condition, but they're never in use having being made redundant by the depot at Westall.

I smell bullshit in that meeting, made up (or coming from misinformed minds) in order to sell you an argument.

I mean, it's probably reasonable that the government spends more on the PT network. They have to pay Connex, Yarra Trams and the bus companies so that they operate services and maintain their fleets. They don't pay drivers when they need to get their car serviced. But the road network has had two new freeways and a handful of roads being duplicated. The rail network has had a small amount of investment into infrastructure in comparison.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Christ...........where the **** do you begin? :eek:hno:

It is almost a case of calling down the Luftwaffe and bomb the whole system to smithereens so you can begin again with a clean slate.

·
Registered
476 Posts

Yesterday's Stateline had a good report about the train network. The minister was quoted as saying that ownership is an ideological matter and what's more important is the planning of the network and how it integrates with other modes and fixing bottlenecks in the system (Clifton Hill, Sunshine and Dandenong lines). I just wish that they'd fix them a bit more quickly.
Good point. I am ideologically motivated in saying this, but it seems like the system is faaaar too overregulated and micromanaged given it's in private hands. What about the PT system in Hong Kong? Perhaps it's not *only* the fault of connex. Why not let the private sector develop some of the infrastructure? Or do some of the planning? The problem with large subsidies is that they have to be conditional. Perhaps they should de-monopolize and deregulate the system at the same time when the contracts expire.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Oh oh. A thread with the words Connex & Complaint. This could take a while people.

·
Banned
1,298 Posts
What makes government ownership better automatically? As Jarf said, Connex is *much* better than the Met was. Take a look at the government rail operators interstate.

CityRail in Sydney is government owned and is constantly having problems with delayed trains, dilapidated rollingstock, overcrowding, overstaffing and lack of security. How is that any better? Don't get me started on CountryLink (CuntyLink)'s atrocious excuse for country services.

QR CityTrain is atrocious, and owned by the QLD government. Need I go on?

TransAdelaide runs a fleet of dirty diesel trains, has dilapidated stations (just go for a ride up to Outer Harbor), infrequent services and shitful track condition - you can look down at the track and see crumbling sleepers. Only good thing is fares are cheap.

TransPerth is probably our only decent government operator:cheers:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts