SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently work in the heart of Seattle in a 32 story skyscraper. My girlfriend (who also works downtown) recently told me that she'd rather work outside of the city due to expenses like parking, food, etc...

I thought rather hard about that idea and came to the conclusion that as long as I have the means to pay for the expenses associated with working downtown I'd rather be surrounded by lovely architecture and the lifestyle associated with urban living. I mean come on who wants to look at Home Depot and strip malls on the way back and forth from work all the time. Boring. Everytime I go to work I'm greeted by an expansive skyline and the Space Needle greeting me a good morning! ;)

How about you, do you work downtown or do you want to? :)

·
122,118 Posts
Is it any cheaper to eat downtown than in the suburbs? A fast-food outlet won't have significant price differences between locations, and restaurants vary in pricing. However, there are more expensive alternatives downtown so it may seem more expensive overall, while there is less choice in a suburban office park.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I've worked downtown for almost 9 years and can count on one hand how many times I parked there (when I had a car). Sometimes I like it but sometimes I wish I didn't have to participate in the daily commuter deathmarch/subway squeeze ;)

·
Super Moderator
21,833 Posts
I take the train 80km to work in a city centre (Birmingham, UK), driving would be too much of a pain and more expensive. I like where I live though, it's a nice historic town with lots of good shops bars and restaurants etc If I lived in a nice part of central Bimringham where I could walk to work it would cost me double what I pay now in rent and far more than the train fare.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I use to work for Boeing in Bellevue in the Eastgate area. The job was great, but the location is the worst. Typical office park with parking all around. No place close by to walk to for lunch. I always had to get in my car a drive somewhere. I'd rather work downtown. Better chance of using public transportation, more choices for lunch and everything else. Just a much better atmosphere all around imo.

1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
maxxam80 said:
try using something called public transport to cut down on costs

ever heard of it?
actually smart ass ;) since I car pool into work parking downtown is only $10 more a month then riding the bus....it's called math, ever heard of it?

Man as long as god blesses me with an income that allows me to continue riding in a car to work I will......I rode the bus to work for 2 years and I'd rather lick pavement then sit in the same bus with some of the wackos we have over here in Seattle. :yes: Also my commute home took an hour and a half because of the long ass route the dam bus took to get me home. I've shortened that by an hour nowadays!

·
Registered
830 Posts
Rainier Meadows said:
I currently work in the heart of Seattle in a 32 story skyscraper. My girlfriend (who also works downtown) recently told me that she'd rather work outside of the city due to expenses like parking, food, etc...

I thought rather hard about that idea and came to the conclusion that as long as I have the means to pay for the expenses associated with working downtown I'd rather be surrounded by lovely architecture and the lifestyle associated with urban living. I mean come on who wants to look at Home Depot and strip malls on the way back and forth from work all the time. Boring. Everytime I go to work I'm greeted by an expansive skyline and the Space Needle greeting me a good morning! ;)

How about you, do you work downtown or do you want to? :)
I like living and working in an urban environment; wouldn't have it any other way.

I neither live nor work in Toronto's financial district, but my neighbourhood is definately urbane in every sense of the word.

Plus, the commute's great: fifteen minute walk, ten minute streetcar ride, five minutes by car or bike.

·
Eat your fudge!
1,918 Posts
dude, if you can pay it dont complain, if it brings you serious financial issues try something else.

·
Registered
830 Posts
rt_0891 said:
The TTC Metropass certainly helped cut down my travel expenses to downtown.
Yeah?

Just out of curiousity, how much more did it cost you to drive (assuming you drove to work/school) than it costs you to take the TTC?

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Buster said:
Yeah?

Just out of curiousity, how much more did it cost you to drive (assuming you drove to work/school) than it costs you to take the TTC?
Parking cost at least $7-10/day. (depends on lot/meter) I had to fill up a full tank every week & a half. :(

·
Twinkie
733 Posts
Like you, I work in downtown Seattle. I work part time at Smith Tower. I take the bus from the U-district. My bus stop going back home -I use the bus tunnel getting here- is right across the street from the homeless shelter so there's lots of scary homeless people (I saw a crazy guy with a chucky doll) hangin around. So now I walk a few blocks up to avoid them. Other than that, downtown seems real cool. I get to meet lots of international tourists at my work (mostly german tourists) so it's fun for me. I wish I worked farther north near westlake than in Pioneer square though. But during rush hours, I can see the freeways from the window and they are massive. 1-5 and the Alaskan Way were a parking lot today--partly cause of a mariner's game.

·
Registered
102 Posts
hey i wish that working downtown was much of an option here. there's tons to do insofar as entertainment, dining, shopping and residential ... its just that our downtown is light on actual office space. sort of the opposite of most downtowns i suppose. here, almost all office space is in 70s and 80s era PUDs that are fledgling edge cities as well as newer lifestyle centers. all of which are located in suburbs that are actually more densely developed than the old city centers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts