Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 11238 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THE THEATRE: Plays, Musicals, and Stage Shows

post anything theater-related...new plays, new musicals, your favorite showtunes, whatever! :D

·
Member, Winifred Fan Club
2,972 Posts
Well... I like them and all, but if you have first song syndrome and it's a show tune, good luck to you because you'll never get it out of your head. I've got One Day More stuck in my head all day. :bash:

·
I got my eye on you.
24,697 Posts
Great thread! Thanks Karl! :eek:kay:

Musicals I've seen:

01. The Sound of Music
02. The King and I
03. West Side Story
04. Les Miserables
05. Phantom of the Opera
06. Miss Saigon
07. Rent
08. Aida
09. South Pacific
10. Camelot
11. Mamma Mia
12. Fiddler on the Roof
13. Oklahoma!
14. Menopause, The Musical (local production)

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^^ it's a shame avenue q didn't do very well at the wynn. i hated seeing that show go. i could watch it over and over. i hope they bring les miz and wicked here in vegas as mainstays.

·
I got my eye on you.
24,697 Posts
Anyone seen "The Lion King" yet? How is it? They're coming to Orlando next month and I'm deciding whether to shell out some major dough to see a musical that's really meant for the kids.

·
The Original is The Best
6,410 Posts
^^ I have. I found it awesome then with the costumes, puppetry, musical score and backdrop, especially since Julie Taymore was at the helm. That was during its early performances. But in your case, being from Orlando, you might find it overdone already since Disneyworld has this in all its shows. I was almost about to puke each time I hear Rafiki's chant at the start of The Circle of Life when I was in Disneyworld.

Nants ingonyama bagithi baba
Sithi uhhmm ingonyama
Ingonyama

·
Member, Winifred Fan Club
2,972 Posts
With all due respect to the Rent fanatics here... I loved it when it came out on Broadway. But when the movie came out, I was like.. meh... been there, done that.

I finally saw it a few weeks ago and I was like "cute." The issues were so 1990s. And that New York doesn't exist anymore. :( At least in Manhattan. It was actually more of a nostalgia trip for me.

I didn't need to see it. I lived it. :lol:

·
The Original is The Best
6,410 Posts
^^ So true. The issues are dated already. And that part of New York has been so gentrified and commercialized. It no longer exists as depicted in that movie. But I still loved the movie and the music, especially since they got most of the original actors/actresses.

Maybe, we can treat it as Westside Story.

I just wished they did not change that Over the Moon song by Maureen (played by Idina Menzel). I didn't like the modernized version. That was supposed to be Eastern stream of consciousness inspired.

·
I got my eye on you.
24,697 Posts
^^ I read in one review for the movie that they should have used much younger actors since those original cast members were already too old looking for the parts that they originated on Broadway. But nonetheless the music is what makes the show IMHO.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the musical was definitely way better than the movie. i agree with kimber, it's the music that makes "rent" "RENT." isn't "rent" set in alphabet city? from what i know, alphabet city has been converted into a chic neighborhood with skyrocketing rents to match.

1 - 20 of 11238 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.