Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The long awaited Veteran's Glass City Skyway Bridge (I-280) is now officially opened as of this morning (June 24, 2007). I posted a direct link for you to click on which goes to the designated thread in regards to this project that I have been posting for the last couple of years. There are several new posts that will show aerial photos, celebration festivities, and others along with the news story. It is truely a crowning moment for our region with this bridge project.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=13914579#post13914579

:banana: :cheers: :banana2: :cheer: :hi: :dizzy: :drunk: :nocrook: :lovethem: :eek:kay: :tongue4: :laugh: :carrot: :hug: :grouphug: :D :dance: :pepper: :booze: :dance2: :dj: :scouserd: :cheers2: :cucumber: :cheers1: :rock: :tyty:

·
SoCal Hal
1,157 Posts
BonjourToledo,

Do you think the city will start to fill in with some type of density between the current downtown and the new bridge? Obviously anything would take years. But you have an edge of knowledge the rest of us just don't have in this city. Just curious where you see things going.

·
Registered
290 Posts
finally after traveling between cleveland and detroit for 8 years, I might not hit construction on I-280

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BonjourToledo,

Do you think the city will start to fill in with some type of density between the current downtown and the new bridge? Obviously anything would take years. But you have an edge of knowledge the rest of us just don't have in this city. Just curious where you see things going.
I think with the in-fill developments of the Marina District from I-280 to MLK Bridge will have a spill-over effect across the river to the west bank which is the northside of the downtown area and we'll see redevelopments within the next 10-15 years. More residential-waterfront developments and continuation of rehabbing historic homes and buildings of the Vistula neighborhood will be the forefront of the spill-over process. The ultimate good news is that the old I-280 freeway which will be demolished (the next 3 years) and converted into parkland; however, reconnecting the existing neighborhoods north and south of the old I-280 will be a huge plus because when the freeways were launched in the 50s-60s it really tore up the vitality of neighborhoods so by putting them back together infrastructure-wise it will spur new housing developments and renewal of "true neighborhood atmosphere."

·
SoCal Hal
1,157 Posts
I think with the in-fill developments of the Marina District from I-280 to MLK Bridge will have a spill-over effect across the river to the west bank which is the northside of the downtown area and we'll see redevelopments within the next 10-15 years. More residential-waterfront developments and continuation of rehabbing historic homes and buildings of the Vistula neighborhood will be the forefront of the spill-over process. The ultimate good news is that the old I-280 freeway which will be demolished (the next 3 years) and converted into parkland; however, reconnecting the existing neighborhoods north and south of the old I-280 will be a huge plus because when the freeways were launched in the 50s-60s it really tore up the vitality of neighborhoods so by putting them back together infrastructure-wise it will spur new housing developments and renewal of "true neighborhood atmosphere."
Thanks once again for your insight. It's truly appreciated!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts