SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 1147 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
'Whimsical' John Hinde dies

July 5, 2006 - 10:35AM

http://www.smh.com.au/news/tv--radio/whimsical-john-hinde-dies/2006/07/05/1151778981347.html

Man of feel ... John Hinde with Lisbeth Gorr
AdvertisementAdvertisement

One of Australia's first foreign correspondents, TV presenter and movie critic, John Hinde has died in Sydney aged 92.

ABC Radio's AM program today paid tribute to Hinde, who filed a report for its first bulletin.

Mr Hinde began his career at the ABC in the news department and was a correspondent in the Pacific during World War II.

He was later known as a film critic, presenting films on ABC TV and a weekly film review on Radio National.

"He died last night in a Sydney nursing home," an ABC spokeswoman said.

ABC TV film reviewer David Stratton said Hinde possessed innate good humour and wit, and was a pleasure to talk to.

"He would always focus very often on small details, on whimsical little things that appealed to him, and convey them so beautifully to the listener or the viewer in his television introductions," Mr Stratton told ABC Radio.

In his first report for AM, on September 4, 1967, Mr Hinde covered a plan by artist Salvador Dali to cross the Pyrenees on an elephant.

"So I don't know what the fuss is about over flying an elephant to him from India," Hinde said in the report.

"Dali could easily fillet one, reconstitute it at the end of the flight, and cross the Pyrenees in style, as Hannibal once crossed the Alps.

"And he can travel at leisure too, because time's no object to him.

"And if he needs vinegar to break up the rocks in the way Hannibal did, well, Dali of all people has plenty of that, wherever he goes."

AAP

·
Registered
73,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
gee i thought he died years ago.
he was a classic.

·
Registered
73,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
American actor Glen Ford died today age 90.
veteran of 102 movies.
he was cool as supermans earth father in 1977 flick.
rip
:cheers:

·
Registered
73,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Everybody loved Peter ... The Emmy-winning actor who played grumpy father Frank Barone in Everybody Loves Raymond, Peter Boyle, died yesterday, aged 71, after a long battle with heart disease /

·
Registered
506 Posts
Can't say I ever liked that annoying show 'Everybody Loves Raymond'. (Actually I was cheering when it finished; only to find myself pissed off that reruns of the show would replace it). But despite my hatred of the show and everyone in it, it is probably a sad day for his family so I feel for them.

·
7,951 Posts
The director Robert Altman died a few weeks back. He made some great films including M*A*S*H (the movie), Popeye, Gosford Park and most recently A Prairie Home Companion.

·
Registered
73,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
god bless his rythym and soul!
http://images.chron.com/photos/2001/10/21/4578355/311xInlineGallery.jpg

Dec. 26, 2006, 12:37AM
'Godfather of Soul' James Brown dies at 73
Brown was one of the major musical influences of the past 50 years

JAMES BROWN
1933-2006

Sign a guest book and share your thoughts
Five decades of performances
The sound, the image, the legend
One writer's personal revelation
MeMo: The real life (and art) of James Brown
White House: President Bush weighs in
Brown was hardworking to the end
Quotes about James Brown
Brown's widow claims she's locked out of S.C. home
THE MUSIC

James Brown hit the Top 10 on the Billboard Hot 100 or Billboard Top R&B Singles in each of four decades.

• Please, Please, Please

• Try Me

• Think

• Baby, You're Right
• Bewildered
• I Don't Mind

• Lost Someone
• Night Train

• Prisoner of Love

• Papa's Got a Brand New Bag
• I Got You (I Feel Good)

• Ain't That a Groove
• Don't Be A Drop-Out
• It's a Man's Man's Man's World
• Sweet Little Baby Boy

• Cold Sweat
• Let Yourself Go

• I Can't Stand Myself (When You Touch Me)
• I Got The Feelin'
• Licking Stick - Licking Stick
• Say it Loud - I'm Black and I'm Proud
• There Was A Time

• Ain't It Funky Now
• Give It Up Or Turn It A Loose
• I Don't Want Nobody To Give Me Nothing (Open Up The Door, I'll Get It Myself)
• Let A Man Come In And Do The Popcorn
• Mother Popcorn (You Got To Have A Mother For Me)

• Get Up (I Feel Like Being Like A) Sex Machine
• Santa Claus Is Definitely Here To Stay
• Super Bad

• Escape-ism
• Get Up, Get Into It, Get Involved
• Hot Pants (She Got To Use What She Got To Get What She Wants)
• I'm A Greedy Man
• Make It Funky
• Soul Power

• Get On The Good Foot
• King Heroin
• Talking Loud And Saying Nothing

• I Got A Bag Of My Own
• Sexy, Sexy, Sexy

• Funky President (People It's Bad)
• My Thang
• Papa Don't Take No Mess
• Stone To The Bone
• The Payback 1976
• Get Up Offa That Thing

• Living in America

James Brown made music of inestimable influence that shaped nearly a half century of soul, rock, hip-hop, funk and other popular forms.

The Godfather of Soul, a fiercely independent artist and iconoclastic entertainer, died of heart failure early Christmas morning in an Atlanta hospital, where he'd been admitted for pneumonia. He was 73.

Brown's music — funky, cool, soulful, passionate and gritty — had broad appeal. His raspy voice, clipped grunts and immediately recognizable songs made irrelevant distinctions such as age, race and class that create genre and subgenre distinctions in music. He was a uniter, tagged "the Funky President."

"God had a special job for me," Brown wrote in 1991 in the liner notes to his career-spanning Star Time box set.

"He gave me a special talent to relate to people of all cultures. I found that the common denominator among all people was love. Because regardless of all the obstacles which we fight, the social problems and the poverty problems, it all boils down to the love factor. And I believe I was able to create that in my life."

As apparent as Brown's talent was — the big voice, the fluid dance moves — his faults were equally visible. He was notoriously despised by some band members early on for his dictatorial management style. A gifted musician, he had little patience for mistakes.

Brown also had his share of demons, and they were made public with acts of violence, arrests and prison terms. These low points never undermined his musical legacy, though they did make a caricature of a figure of immense social importance in the '60s.

Brown's beginnings were less than humble. Born in Barnwell, S.C., in 1933, he grew up dirt poor in a broken home in Augusta, Ga.

The music bug bit early and by the time he was 15, Brown had dropped out of school and started playing in a band. But it didn't provide escape.

At 16, Brown was arrested for a car theft and hit with a harsh sentence. He did a prison stretch before being transferred to juvenile work farms.

Upon his release Brown, a gifted drummer and pianist, started playing in a gospel group. He'd soon ditch the form for R&B, but the church never left his music entirely. His singing always had a twinge of testimony.

By the mid-'50s, Brown's style was beginning to form. Soon he was too big to be an anonymous member of a band. Please Please Please was released in 1956 as a single and reached No. 6 on the R&B charts.

The music wasn't revelatory: a droopy piano vamp, light drumming and standard doo wop type backing vocals. But Brown's passionate cries and the way he could stretch and twist vowels sounded unlike anything else of the era.

Two years would pass before Brown had his second hit with Try Me, his first R&B No. 1 and a song that crossed over onto the pop charts.

By 1960 just about everything Brown recorded was golden. That year he released four pop hits — Think, You've Got the Power, This Old Heart and The Bells.

The next five years were filled with similar successes, a treasure chest full of R&B and pop hits.

Stage shows were magical

Creative change was also coming. Hints of it were apparent in his legendary live recording from the Apollo Theater in New York City from 1962. Brown made masterful music in the studio, but nothing could compare to the way he presented his songs on stage — a combination of church, theater, musical revue and some magic mojo that dusted it all.

Brown's footwork was dazzling, he was often clad in capes and other flamboyant outfits of his own design, and he'd act out little dramatic scenes where he'd be urged time and again to bare his soul for an audience.

He was, after all, tagged the Hardest Working Man in Show Business.

The hard-working Brown wasn't satisfied with standard R&B success. So he changed the genre and effectively created his own. In 1965 he released Papa's Got a Brand New Bag.

More than a hit, Bag was a mission statement. The song sounded like it was delivered from another world: It had a strange tempo, was full of jittery stops and starts, served an iconic guitar riff and blew wide open with brass.

Innovation is often trumpeted in rock 'n' roll. But Brown's song, issued in two parts, was every bit as foreign, exciting and earthshaking as anything created by rock innovators like the Beatles.

"I thought about the people around me," Brown wrote in Star Time. "I wanted to come up with something that would give us a place in the business. That's when I hit on Papa's Got a Brand New Bag. It was a slang that would relate to the man on the street ...

"To the musicians I was saying, here's a new bag. Here's a new direction. Here's one that represents the people, not just Mozart, Schubert, Beethoven, Bach, Strauss or Mantovani."

People reacted. The song was a No. 1 R&B hit and a No. 8 pop single.

Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top recalled seeing Brown at the Paladium in Houston during that era. "The audience was an amalgamation of just plain music lovers," he said. "It didn't matter if they were white or black. There was no shortage of enthusiasm watching a James Brown show."

The same held true when Brown performed at the Verizon Wireless Theater in May. He busted only a few dance moves. The songs often were frustratingly fragmented into medleys that broke down. Still, even in his 70s, Brown performed with a killer showman's instincts.

But the Brown of 2006 was a different man from the Brown of the 1960s. The Brown of the '60s was a man of power and responsibility. He wasn't issuing dance music with single-minded carnal undertones.

Peace and black pride

There was a desire to change the world — or certainly a divided nation — with his actions and music. Already an African-American celebrity, Brown became a Civil Rights figurehead. He performed numerous concerts for black political organizations and charities, he handed out food vouchers for the poor on a Christmas day and he launched Operation Black Pride.

Brown used his celebrity to urge peaceful change, and his word carried weight. He famously performed in Boston on April 5, 1968, following the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., a show he and the city's mayor decided to televise rather than cancel. Brown urged calm, and Boston was the rare city that day untouched by rioting.

Writer LeRoi Jones called him "Our No. 1 black poet."

Brown entered the '70s as one of the most important musicians in America. He continued to make stirring and influential music and he continued to have successful hits.

But the decade proved topsy-turvy for him.

He infamously supported Richard Nixon's re-election. He lost a son to a car accident and ran into trouble with the IRS.

The music was still strong and a generation of funk artists birthed by Papa's Got a Brand New Bag rose to prominence. Disco was unthinkable without Brown's work, though that pop genre didn't provide him with much notable music.

Brown entered the '80s with little momentum. That decade also was a rough one for him even though a second wave of music, hip-hop, owed much of its sound to him.

There were some high points: Induction into the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame, a surprise hit with Living in America from the film Rocky IV, and a generation of rap producers sampling his storied catalog.

But Brown's addiction, and his woes, grew.

There were periods of drug abuse and notorious incidents involving high-speed chases and firearms. After leading police on a lengthy car chase, he did a two-year prison stint that carried him into the '90s, another tumultuous decade that included little notable new music, but numerous arrests for drug and domestic abuse-related charges.

Still, Brown's peak years were of such influential fiber that even when he ceased to be creatively vital, his reputation, musically at least, was safe.

"He was a pioneer and you don't lose that," Gibbons said. "He wrote the book on so many facets of being a star. He defined soul as we knew it and he influenced hip-hop, but he also had a great impact on rock 'n' roll."

[email protected]

·
Registered
73,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
another one for 2006- Former President-Gerald Ford died today aged 93.

·
Registered
73,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Darlene Conely from Bold and Beuatiful has died aged 72.

·
Galactic Ruler
6,855 Posts
OMG was she that old?????????????????? I wouldn't have thought so. Amazing. RIP Darlene/Sally

·
Registered
16 Posts
bit late but 4th Jan 07, Ben Gannon passed away.
assisted in the stage management of the 1970 production in London of Jesus Christ Superstar.
Assoc. Producer of Gallipoli.
amongst other bits and pieces he created the original "Boy from Oz" musical

·
Registered
73,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Billy Thorpe -age 60

·
I said love, I said pet
1,542 Posts
^^ Classic comedy character. Did anyone see him in 'French & Saunders' when they did a spoof of 'The Phantom Menace'? He was the Emporer/Darth Sid (1m30sec in):

·
Registered
73,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
absolutly loved this guy as BARGEARSE

Entertainer Lucky Grills dead -
ENTERTAINER Lucky Grills has died at his Queensland home, according to media reports.

Best known for his role as 1970s television detective Bluey in the series of the same name, the 79-year-old - born Leo Grills - died late yesterday, Macquarie Radio reported .

Fellow entertainer Danny McMaster described his late friend as a true gentlemen who loved his work.

"He did two gigs back to back yesterday, not bad for a 79-year-old," Mr McMaster said on Macquarie Radio.

"But he went to bed and just didn't wake up."

Affectionately known as Bargearse among viewers of ABCs the Late Show, Grills was most recently a stage performer, spending much of the past 20 years on the club entertainment circuit.

Grills's manager Alan Casey was unable to confirm or comment on the death today.

·
dink!
2,126 Posts
RIP Bargearse. He was always such a great sport with The Late Show's spoofs and skits on him.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I want a Bargearse DVD NOW!! Come on ABC/D-Gen, it's about the only thing you haven't put out!!!!

21 - 40 of 1147 Posts