SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So (to sound as cliche as possible) how 'bout them Dodgers?

No, really, how about them? I heard on the radio that the last couple of times they started off this well they won it all. Just today they came back from a 6 point deficit to win in the 10th inning. Could this be a the year?

·
Registered
23 Posts
as I life long Dodgers fan, I gotta say I'm impressed and like their chances. On the other hand...

for people who followed the team during the offseason, you know that they made major changes to the roster that won them the NL pennant. They got rid of fan favorites Shawn Green, Jose Lima, to name a few .They didn't sign key players whose contracts had expired. One player in particular, Adrian Beltre, who had just had a breakout season and led the league in home runs last season and had been a Dodger since he was like 17, didn't get re-signed. He ended up signing with Seattle because the Dodgers didn't match their offer. Beltre even said afterward that he was surprised and that he would have signed with the Dodgers for less money if they had offered.

I won't go into their trades too much more, and I would direct you to google "DePodesta" and "Moneyball" for more background info.

Needless to say I was pissed. It was the first team that had made it to the playoffs and won a game in more than 10 years! Why were they breaking them up? But I guess there is something to the changes they've made. I like the results, but I think I'll wait a couple more months before saying that they're on their way to the World Series.

In short, I am quietly ecstatic.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
ProdigalLASon said:
as I life long Dodgers fan, I gotta say I'm impressed and like their chances. On the other hand...

for people who followed the team during the offseason, you know that they made major changes to the roster that won them the NL pennant. They got rid of fan favorites Shawn Green, Jose Lima, to name a few .They didn't sign key players whose contracts had expired. One player in particular, Adrian Beltre, who had just had a breakout season and led the league in home runs last season and had been a Dodger since he was like 17, didn't get re-signed. He ended up signing with Seattle because the Dodgers didn't match their offer. Beltre even said afterward that he was surprised and that he would have signed with the Dodgers for less money if they had offered.

I won't go into their trades too much more, and I would direct you to google "DePodesta" and "Moneyball" for more background info.
Summed it up perfectly. i feel the same way. im lovin this, but i will reserve Judgment until later on in the year. Its looking great though, considering we have a very solid Staff, no ace, but 4 number 2 starters, role players filling their role perfectly, power hitters producing and Milton Breaking Out!. The future is bright too with Loney, Guzman Greg Miller and Edwin Jackson. Lastly, much props to Jim Tracy. He keeps everyone involved and fresh, so that when they are called upon in the future, they have at bats and experience under their belts. Went to both games againts SF and another next weekend! GO BLUE GO

·
Registered
70 Posts
anyone gone to a game yet? I plan on going soon. As it will be my first time (hey, i'm still rather new to town), does anyone have any good tips. Parking, food, where to buy tickets, etc. Thanks! And go dodgers!

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
went to the first two games againts the gnats! Planning on going to a few more soon. Ok here are some pointers. Get there early, beleive me. if the game is at 7, leave your house before 5:45, so that you avoid all the traffic and parking mess. Also, try to park by lot 36, which is in the back, with a view of chinatown and Downtown LA. If you park there, you can avoid going through the parking lot mess and can exit rather quickly. You can buy tickets online at ticketmaster or Dodgers.com, but beware, there is a 4 dollar service charge per ticket with both. you can also call 1323 223 1 hit ( i think)

·
Registered
23 Posts
yeah they keep on winning...they're coming to Phoenix on Monday and I'm gonna try to sneak out of work to check'em out....right now they're down 2-0 to the Padres in the sixth. hopefully they pull it out, but even if they do lose, that's not keeping me from liking their chances...

One thing I've noticed is that the Dodgers aren't getting much love from the sports shows, i.e. ESPN. The only thing I've seen is a story on Milton Bradley and how he's "matured" I mean, they have the best record in the bigs right now...shouldn't that be a bigger story?

I do have one prediction though, as soon as they lose a couple games in a row, look for the media to get down on them REAL bad, saying that they were wrong for all the moves they made...

GO BLUE

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Those east coast idiots have their heads way way up the red sox and yankee (and even mets) collective asses. its all good though, i rather be the underdog and come from no where and surprise everyone.

·
Avant Garde
3,807 Posts
My dream is to have a Freeway Series for the World Series (Dodgers and Angels). I think it would be better than a Subway Series (Yankees and Mets), Bay Area Series (Giant's and A's) and the battle of Chicago (Cubs and White Sox..however the White Sox have the second best recond the the MLB.)

I know it's 2 weeks into the season..but a guy can dream right?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah, that would be cool...that would hype up the whole area...it feels like so cal's really ready to embrace the Dodgers and Angels, probably because there's an earlier end to basketball season than usual in these parts (don't get me started on the Los Angeles Kobes). I think it would be good enough to have both the teams in the playoffs like last year, except this time they both have better odds of actually advancing past the first round...

BTW...Brad Penny's arm looked good in their 8-6 win over the Rockies. Add another lock down arm to the rotation...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They've been on a bit of a decline lately. Hopefully they can turn it around tonight. I'm going to the game. It's been too long!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts