SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Mancunian Member
7,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Exactly what it says on the tin.

Whether it be Piccadilly Tower, Lumiere, V Tower, King Edward, blah blah blah...

Keep it out of the respective tower threads and leave it here until anything is ACTUALLY confirmed.

Cheers.

·
BAND
12,217 Posts
And us Sheffielders are still ploughing along with our projects ;)

However here is a story from our local newspaper which applies to all cities really (but more-so to those at earlier stages of development)

'Recovery being put at risk'

Sheffield's economic recovery is being put at risk by a Labour government bent on repeating the mistakes of thirty years ago, claims a leading Sheffield property expert.
Guy Gilfillan, head of Lambert Smith Hampton's Sheffield office, says government moves to increase rates levied on empty buildings will have a massive impact on the city and is one of the biggest issues facing the property market.

"This is a subject I am extremely passionate about," said Mr Gilfillan.

"We have been fortunate in Sheffield - and credit must go to Sir Bob Kerslake for his work as the council's chief executive - for the rapid growth of commercial development that has helped to stimulate the wider economy in our city.

"But the change in legislation will have a massive impact and takes us back to failed policies of the 1970s.

"Speculative development is now almost impossible and the money the Government will make won't come back to the places that need it, it will be lost in the Treasury's bottomless pit."
That last bit pretty much sums it up for me :|

·
Registered
267 Posts
Perhaps a couple of towers that appear in their respective "Construction" threads need to be moved, as it is that that is misleading people at the moment. Piccadilly, V & Lumiere are not yet under construction, they are still "Proposed"! Piccadilly even appears on the Skyscraperpage website as under construction at the moment, when it clearly is not!

·
Mancunian Member
7,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Says who? The mods who put the thread there?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Says who? The mods who put the thread there?
Alpha tower & the Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza have had heating, airconditioning & structural work done to them over the last few months, & buildings are being demolished to make way for services & foundations for the V Building & related buildings, but the mod responsible has been just that, "responsible" & not progressed it into "Construction" mode yet.

The works going on around the site of the proposed Piccadilly Tower could be for other related buildings on that site ...... has work commenced on the core of the tower yet? Until it does, it is not under construction. :)

·
wind-up merchant
15,971 Posts
Perhaps a couple of towers that appear in their respective "Construction" threads need to be moved, as it is that that is misleading people at the moment. Piccadilly, V & Lumiere are not yet under construction, they are still "Proposed"! Piccadilly even appears on the Skyscraperpage website as under construction at the moment, when it clearly is not!
there is solid concrete, wet concrete, diggers, cranes, piling rigs, men on site in hats, there for it is! now scuttle off

·
Registered
30,474 Posts
Lumiere is under construction; it's not a debate. It quite clearly is. Although it's not too late to stop it's development. But there have been no reports of doubts over it; the construction costs have gone up but the doubt is all speculative on this forum. Considering that Linfoot has today said he is proposing to build 800 new apartments in a less prime location to Lumiere... I think that shows he is pretty confident and doesn't plan to cancel anything at this stage.

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
Well, it's all ground work at the mo. No cores to prove that something is shooting up. That's why I always think that if something goes in an under construction forum, there should actually be something clearly being built upwards. Though, most people just seem to think that some ground movement means construction. Upto them!

·
BAND
3,239 Posts
Er... I think the general construction work at Lumiere might say different, maybe not so much above ground construction yet, but groundwork is definately underway. Aren't you forgetting the status of 'Approved' as well? - Which I think these all are, am I right?

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
Isn't Lumiere proposed and approved or has the little height extension gone through now?

·
Registered
30,474 Posts
The actual piles for Lumiere are being constructed, this has been the case for a while now. The substructure is most definitely under construction... it's not really hard to see that. It is approved; the height extension is only 1m. I don't know if they've gone through yet but there's no reason they shouldn't go through. Linfoot has been working with the council for the whole development to make sure it is problem free, hence it has managed to go without fault since we first heard of it. Unlike the BWP saga.

·
BAND
12,217 Posts
Well, it's all ground work at the mo. No cores to prove that something is shooting up. That's why I always think that if something goes in an under construction forum, there should actually be something clearly being built upwards. Though, most people just seem to think that some ground movement means construction. Upto them!
I agree. I don't count things as under construction till there's concrete or metal.

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
I wasn't disputing that. It was just general observation on construction in general from my POV.

·
Registered
267 Posts
there is solid concrete, wet concrete, diggers, cranes, piling rigs, men on site in hats, there for it is! now scuttle off
On the Snow Hill site in Birmingham, there are diggers, cranes, concrete, etc, but the 84 metre 5 Star hotel is not yet under construction, though I'm sure it is imminent.

Can you tell me, what else is being constructed on the Piccadilly site next to the proposed tower?

·
likes beer
Cosmic chimp
12,723 Posts
Exactly what it says on the tin.

Whether it be Piccadilly Tower, Lumiere, V Tower, King Edward, blah blah blah...

Keep it out of the respective tower threads and leave it here until anything is ACTUALLY confirmed.

Cheers.
King Eddie is up in front of the planning comittee soon, it has been "recommended" - whether that be for approval or the knock back tho is anybody's guess. It has had a floor lopped off it which is a bit odd.

·
Mancunian Member
7,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just giving an example from each city yoshi, all the talk on the same subject in the various threads is frustrating at the mo, which is why I opened this one. :)

1 - 20 of 194 Posts